Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
NSTS1470

Another mouse problem

Once again I have mice. Going to clean and look for more holes. Lay down some more traps, moth balls and dryer sheets. I have had success catching them with the traps and pb. But they always seem to come back and I dont know how their getting in. Has anyone heard of this product called mouse free. It is a spray that u use on the undercarriage. It is non-toxic and kid, pet safe. Just hate to spend that kind of money without knowing. It a $100 gallon which covers a 24' trailer so I would need 2 gallons $200. This is just driving me insane and really want to solve this problem. Nothing like having a camper winterized and clean only to find mouse crap everywhere!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

You might want to try using a combination of steel wool and "canned" foam spray for all those places where landing jacks, water pipes, drains, and wires exit or enter your trailer. Instead of the steel wool on exterior holes, use some other non-rusting wool. Stuff the wool in first, then apply the foam. Don't forget to plug even the tiniest holes as these little devils can get in through the smallest of spaces!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSTS1470 View Post
Once again I have mice. Going to clean and look for more holes. Lay down some more traps, moth balls and dryer sheets. I have had success catching them with the traps and pb. But they always seem to come back and I dont know how their getting in. Has anyone heard of this product called mouse free. It is a spray that u use on the undercarriage. It is non-toxic and kid, pet safe. Just hate to spend that kind of money without knowing. It a $100 gallon which covers a 24' trailer so I would need 2 gallons $200. This is just driving me insane and really want to solve this problem. Nothing like having a camper winterized and clean only to find mouse crap everywhere!
Sorry to hear about your problem with the mice and I can relate. We changed the place where we store our trailer and this is the first time we have had trouble with mice in any camper. I have looked into the mouse free product myself and because of the price I decided not to go that route as of yet. After bringing our unit home to clean it out for the winter I noticed evidence of mice. We cleaned everything and then like Festus said we stuffed all the holes with some steel wool and then used an expanding foam to fill the holes. I then went under the trailer and patched any holes in the under belly of the trailer where they could get into the floor. I then put traps out to catch the mice that where already in the trailer. We ended up catching 4 of them but not before one of them chewed 2 big holes in our aero bed mattress. So far we haven't had any new signs of mice but I still keep some traps set in the trailer to be sure and check them a couple times a week. The spot I found that I think they where getting into the trail at was from under the tub. When I pulled the panel off the side of the tub I found a hole cut in the floor where the p-trap sits down into. Well the hole they cut was big enough for a small kid to climb through! I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fill the biggest part of the hole and screwed it down to the exposed floor joist. I then like the other holes stuffed steel wool in any open areas around my patch then sprayed the foam around everything. That also explained why the bathroom was so drafty and the floor was always cold, well not anymore. Make sure you take every panel you can off where there might be wirring or plumbing coming up through the floor. You might even want to pull some wall panels loose where the vent pipes are. I know when I did that I found that they misdrilled the hole and drill again next to the other hole making a hole twice the size of the pipe. I also found where a water line comes up through the floor and they used a 2" hole saw to cut a hole for a 1/2" water line. I hope what I did can give you some ideas on fixing you mouse problem.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
Ruffus

Exclamation Mice deterant

Hey guys, here's a little trick I found while working in the aero space industry. Our warehouse for rocket storage was in a abandoned warehouse in Colorado. The first day we opened the office the computer keyboards and desks looked like a massacre from the mice fighting each other for food left in the desks. The Hunta Virius was very bad at the time so we mixed a tablespoon of Bleach with a gallon of water and sprayed the area where we seen mouse crap before sweeping it up to kill the virius. We were surpised to find that it also detered the mouse from coming in the office so I had my employees spray the entire perimeter of the warehouse. Surpisingly this eliminated the mouse problem for the 80 thousand feet of warehouse. I used the same solution in our trailer last winter after catching four mice that had gotten in the trailer while we were living in it full time. I spray the interior about once every couple months while in storage and have not had a problem since. The solution is weak enough that it will not harm the carpet.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
NSTS1470

Well spent 4 hours yesterday cleaning the mess. The lillte critters got in my drawers and messed all over my silverware and kitchen utensils. Camper is all cleaned out. All holes either foam sprayed or steel wool. For the life of me cant figure out where they are coming from. I looked under tub, sinks and around the hot water heater and furnce. Looks like the heaviest concentration is around the hot water heater which of course is where I cant get to a drain hole. Also cant do much under the tub because the access hole is so small. Keystone seems to have done a great job sealing under the camper. But I did fill a few small holes. Set a few traps and we shall see in a few days. Also placed some irish spring and dryer sheets around. But I think I will do the bleach thing. That would be great to spray in all the hidded places and all around the perimiter outside. Thanks for all the tips.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
ralphank

I also had a mouse problem and couldn't find where they were getting in, I suspect they were getting in along where the slide rails go under the trailer, then up through where the water pipes went through the floor, not sure how to seal up the openings at the slide rails.
ralphank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
chuck&gail

I live very rural, back in the woods with a small field in front of house and a stream. A haven for mice. We love watching foxes and hawks catch the mice, one day even an eagle got one! But, we don't want them in the house. When house was first built we had mice. I put several ultrasonic devices out, and within two weeks the mice were no longer in the house. In 25 years, we've not seen a mouse come back inside.

When we started pulling a TT I got another ultrasonic gadget and put it in a Tupperare bowl with holes drilled in it, on top of a cinderblock under our TT. It runs 24x7 whenever the TT is stored. I figured if mice never went under the TT, they would not get inside. It has worked great since 1999. Mines a Transonic Pro.

I know some people say ultrasonics doesn't work. Maybe so, but it has worked great for us.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
NSTS1470

Well after all my hard work still caught another one. What sucks is my camper is stored 45 minutes away. Not the most accessible. Will be making the bleach water solution and trying that.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSTS1470 View Post
Well after all my hard work still caught another one. What sucks is my camper is stored 45 minutes away. Not the most accessible. Will be making the bleach water solution and trying that.
45 minutes away and they're still getting in? Man that's some determined mice (or is it mouses)

I know it's frustrating, maybe the bleach will help.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
pjhansman

FOR RENT

MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Traps? Moth Balls? Dryer Sheets? Super Sonic Wave Machine? Mouse Free? Bleach? Who needs 'em? Save your money. Get "Rent-a-Cat" from pjhansman!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
Outbackmel

Rent a Cat

PJ;

Beautiful "mouse chaser"....what breed of cat is this? Except for color and markings kind of looks like our Maine Coon; female; 1yr old, 13 pounds and growing....

Since we have had her, we do not find any type of "bug" or "rodent" anywhere near where she is; alive that is

I posted on the forum when she was really young our concern of her finding ways out of the RV other than the front door. Lots of great suggestions on that concern, however, she QUICKLY grew that fear left us.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
hankaye

Howdy All;

Main Coons ... aka ... Pit bulls in cat fur!

I'm a dog person, but ... if I were to find myself with a cat...
one of them would be it.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
PJ;

Beautiful "mouse chaser"....what breed of cat is this? Except for color and markings kind of looks like our Maine Coon; female; 1yr old, 13 pounds and growing....

Since we have had her, we do not find any type of "bug" or "rodent" anywhere near where she is; alive that is

I posted on the forum when she was really young our concern of her finding ways out of the RV other than the front door. Lots of great suggestions on that concern, however, she QUICKLY grew that fear left us.
That's Gypsy....our 1 year old Maine Coon. 15 pounds and still growing.

I have to mention that when she was 10 weeks she was small enough to fit up the floor vent in my truck......
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #15
DTJ9610

For those of you that have the cover under the trailer, do you remove that to fill any plumbing holes. I had an issues in my 303TG that they climbed up the outdoor kitchen sink drain and spent some time there. They also came into the kitchen are through another drain. Luckily it doesn't appear there is any damage other than their mess.

Not to sound obtuse, however this will be my 1st time trying to fill any entrance points. I read about the steel wool and foam. I get the foam, however the steel wool? Do I use both or one in certain places. I appreciate the help.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Some of those who have used foam claim that mice have "chewed" their way through it and it hasn't solved the problem. If you pack the opening with coarse steel wool THEN seal it with foam, this seems to work a bit better.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #17
DTJ9610

So I was under the camper over the weekend trying o see where my winter visitor gained access to my under cover. There were a few areas that I saw that could use some filler, however as I reached the front of the camper I saw a gaping hole where they either miss cut or didn't bother correcting the length of the cover. It is at the front where the hitch frame angles in. I'll need to cut some kind of material to fix it. Ugh!!!

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
CHIPS

mice

i used decon cubes,they eat then go for water outside, and the chemical reaction kills them, then i sprinkeld peppermint oil around, haven't seen a mouse since 3 years full timer, can get the oil at health food stores
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote