Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Rick1300

Queen bed hangover!!!

So when we got our TT I went to a foam shop and had a piece of foam cut to make the RV queen a standard queen. Now the bottom 8"s of the bed hangs over the under bed storage. It is annoying!! I am 6'1" so my feet hang over the edge and that slope off sucks!! So today I took that osb lid off of the under bed storage and will replace it with plywood that is 6" longer.
Has anyone done this yet?? Or anything like this???

2005 Ford F-250 Lariat crew cab 6.0 Powerstroke
2013 cougar 21rbswe
Rick1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Outbackmel

Why not add an extender piece to the bed

A common practice in motorcycle cargo haulers (not necessarily toy haulers) that are not "low" to the ground in the load ramp area, simply add the size of wood needed with flip over hinges and issue resolved. In their case; pitch of incline reduced; your result; leg support and good rest.

Often we make good modifications to suit our camping and or other recreational needs. Our BR slide is in the rear of the RV and it is very tight when slide is in. Extended, I would rip my knees on the platform edges about 2x a week, Finally sawed the edges and sanded them in a smooth curve...no more oooowwww!

Cursing was greatly diminished. Wife happy. Me, happy. Next?!......likely an added step to the bathroom. As we age, 3am seems to be the time for natures call...nothing like tripping over the damn step hitting the bathroom door, waking everyone.....go ahead, laugh...tell me you have not been there....that's why there are so many threads on step mods....
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
OldCountryBoy

Modified mine yesterday.

I had a similar problem, we use a matress that we have moved from RV to RV that is a standard queen. I cut another piece of 5/8" osb, made it 4" wider and replaced the original. Mine hung over the side, not the end. The part that supports the matress is 2 pieces, one solid piece 2ft, and the lift part is 4ft, so it was an easy piece to replace. Cut off at 57" moved things more center the room, (noteing the wardrobe slide spacing requirement) replaced the hinges and air pistons and Vualla, no more sagging matress. Happy camping... OCB
OldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
sagebel

Some of us have opened up the storage area under the bed to be accessed from the sides. When I did mine, I extended the platform to accomodate a full length queen. The added length of the platform could not be supported by the struts. Now we can slide a clothes basket and what ever else under the bed without having to lift the bed. If you scroll down in the modification section you should be able to find a few examples.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
sagebel

Found it: http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6578
Old 08-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Rick1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebel View Post
Some of us have opened up the storage area under the bed to be accessed from the sides. When I did mine, I extended the platform to accomodate a full length queen. The added length of the platform could not be supported by the struts. Now we can slide a clothes basket and what ever else under the bed without having to lift the bed. If you scroll down in the modification section you should be able to find a few examples.
I did see that! I will be doing that mod as well!

I removed the platform yesterday and hope to get to the hardware store today or tomorrow to get the new wood.

2013 cougar 21rbswe
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
Litre

Let me know how it turns out, Rick. I'd like to extend ours as well. I'm 6'2" and we're going to be putting a normal queen-sized memory foam topper on our mattress that the wife doesn't want to cut up to fit. So, we're doing the same thing you did - scoot the mattress down a bit, and put some foam near the headboard area to fill it in. I'd like to just make the storage access a bit longer, and as my floorplan doesn't allow for great access to the under-bed storage area other than to lift the lid up, this is pretty much my only option.
Litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
Rick1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litre View Post
Let me know how it turns out, Rick. I'd like to extend ours as well. I'm 6'2" and we're going to be putting a normal queen-sized memory foam topper on our mattress that the wife doesn't want to cut up to fit. So, we're doing the same thing you did - scoot the mattress down a bit, and put some foam near the headboard area to fill it in. I'd like to just make the storage access a bit longer, and as my floorplan doesn't allow for great access to the under-bed storage area other than to lift the lid up, this is pretty much my only option.
Go to Mill End Fabrics on Overland and Latah for your foam. They will cut you a piece to fit perfect. Only cost about 15$.

I will update with pictures.

2013 cougar 21rbswe
Old 08-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
azlee56

with mine I had to be careful as the end of the mattress would hit the dresser and would buckle a bit. I am not sure what would happen if a board was there and it obstructed the slide going completely in. If that is how yours is.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
Rick1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
with mine I had to be careful as the end of the mattress would hit the dresser and would buckle a bit. I am not sure what would happen if a board was there and it obstructed the slide going completely in. If that is how yours is.
I have a dinette that is the only slide I have to worry about. It will clear the end of the mattress by a little over an inch.

2013 cougar 21rbswe
Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
Litre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1300 View Post
Go to Mill End Fabrics on Overland and Latah for your foam. They will cut you a piece to fit perfect. Only cost about 15$.

I will update with pictures.
Excellent. Thanks, Rick!
Litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
Nimbus

We took the RV mattress out of our TT before our last trip & both slept much better. Now that we know the regular queen size fits & the slide operates properly I'm going to replace that worthless pressboard with a larger piece of real plywood. I also plan to cut out the front of the storage units so lifting the mattress won't be needed to access the storage compartment.

Now I plan to wait until Rick gets his done & posts some pictures so I can learn from his experience.

Thanks Rick!
Old 08-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
Rick1300

So I finished the platform. I used 1/2" plywood 34"x58". The osb that came out was 28"x54". Sorry I forgot to take pictures. It is a night and day difference!!

I have not cut open the storage area yet. I want to make a template so I can route it out in place. Then add a little extra 1"x2" around the cut out.

2013 cougar 21rbswe