Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
grtoutdoors

Installing Surge Protector 2010 Raptor

Hi Everyone,

Been lurking here for a while. Great forum and lots of good information.

I am reaching out because I want to install a hardwired surge protector into our ToyHauler (2010 Raptor 361LEV).

I was wondering if anyone has done this with their raptor and ... if they had any suggestions, pictures, things they would do differently, where they mounted it etc. etc.

I am currently looking at the Progressive Industries 50 Amp Hardwired Integrated Display EMS-LCHW50C.

Open to all suggestions and ideas.

Thanks in Advance.

Curt
grtoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
jbsmith

I installed the TRC 50 amp Surge Guard 40240 and couldn't be happier. I really like the wall mounted digital status panel...simple display with integrated bypass...no cryptic codes.

Working with the 6/4 wiring was a bit tough. If I had mine to do over, I'd probably re-wire my entire 50 amp supply with the more flexible 6/4 rubber coated cable from Home Depot. It's got more strands and is much easier to bend/route.

Here are some pics...also more info in the mods forum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343618798.275453.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1644
Located power disconnect in the cargo hold. The power converter was relocated onto the wall. Not many options with the stiff 6/4 wiring.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343618821.708894.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1645
Digital display panel flush mounted into the wall beneath the control center. The display is backlit and includes a light sensor to turn the backlight on/off.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343618833.220053.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1646
Finished install beneath the control center.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
randy69

Question

I have a gen and transfer switch. will this work with generator??? Here is a good comparison site I found
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=279

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
I have a gen and transfer switch. will this work with generator???
Randy69 -
Since the thread is about installing a hard-wired surge protector, are you asking how this will fit in with a generator and transfer switch?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
jbsmith

If you like the TRC and also require a transfer switch you might consider the TRC 50A Hardwire - Model 40250-RVC
Automatic Transfer Switch. The remote display/control is available, but supplied as a separate accessory, requiring the display panel and cable kit. I have no experience with this unit, but assume it functions just like mine except with the genset transfer.

B&W Companion
Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
grtoutdoors

JB,

Thanks for all the great information. This was exactly what I was/am looking for. I hate re-inventing the "wheel" per se. Always nice to hear what others recommend and see how they did it.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
I installed the TRC 50 amp Surge Guard 40240 and couldn't be happier. I really like the wall mounted digital status panel...simple display with integrated bypass...no cryptic codes.

Working with the 6/4 wiring was a bit tough. If I had mine to do over, I'd probably re-wire my entire 50 amp supply with the more flexible 6/4 rubber coated cable from Home Depot. It's got more strands and is much easier to bend/route.

Attachment 1644
Located power disconnect in the cargo hold. The power converter was relocated onto the wall. Not many options with the stiff 6/4 wiring.

Attachment 1645
Digital display panel flush mounted into the wall beneath the control center. The display is backlit and includes a light sensor to turn the backlight on/off.

Attachment 1646
Finished install beneath the control center.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
grtoutdoors

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to bump this back to the top. I had another quick question, my trailer has a an automatic transfer switch which is located in the front left compartment which is right beside the generator compartment.

Would it be the right place to install a hard wired surge protector between the fuse panel and the transfer switch? The power to the coach (from shore && geni) goes through the transfer switch and there is plenty of space to install the surge. This would insure that the surge protector protects against both the shore power and the geni power.

Thoughts?

C
Old 08-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
jbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtoutdoors View Post
Would it be the right place to install a hard wired surge protector between the fuse panel and the transfer switch?
Yep. The surge protector should be installed between the transfer switch and the power panel (breaker box) to provide protection when using the power pedestal or your genset. There are several nice hardwired units from TRC and Progressive Industries depending on what you need or want to spend.

B&W Companion
Old 08-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
grtoutdoors

Awesome - thanks for confirming.

There is plenting of room to install the surge protector and super easy to access the cable - so the job should not be that hard . The only tricky part that for see is getting the surge protector display installed above the panel.

Thanks Again.

Quote:
Yep. The surge protector should be installed between the transfer switch and the power panel (breaker box) to provide protection when using the power pedestal or your genset. There are several nice hardwired units from TRC and Progressive Industries depending on what you need or want to spend.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Randy69 -
Since the thread is about installing a hard-wired surge protector, are you asking how this will fit in with a generator and transfer switch?
I installed a progresive just behind the distrubition box and mounted the display in the pass through storage

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
flintknapper

Quote:

Nice looking installation!
flintknapper is offline   Reply With Quote