Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2021, 05:42 AM   #21
Rocketsled

Our Fresh tank is generally full or empty while travelling. We had it half-2/3rds full once and the sloshing was unnerving.

But to add another datapoint, we leave 4-5 gallon milk jugs of water in the shower while underway for bathroom use. Last weekend was a colder that I liked to de-winterize the trailer and so we left the water supply-side dry, and used 2 6 gallon waterjugs and 3-4 gallon jugs for fresh water...it was enough to use the black tanks and add enough to the grey tanks to flush the dump lines at the end of the weekend.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:44 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
Our Fresh tank is generally full or empty while travelling. We had it half-2/3rds full once and the sloshing was unnerving.

But to add another datapoint, we leave 4-5 gallon milk jugs of water in the shower while underway for bathroom use. Last weekend was a colder that I liked to de-winterize the trailer and so we left the water supply-side dry, and used 2 6 gallon waterjugs and 3-4 gallon jugs for fresh water...it was enough to use the black tanks and add enough to the grey tanks to flush the dump lines at the end of the weekend.
Is your rw tank behind the rear axle? Just curious what causes the "sloshing was unnerving" event.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:14 AM   #23
Ken / Claudia

I am not taking the chance of getting sick from water sitting in the tank for over a week. We do not drink from the tank, but water from the tank can get into a mouth when brushing teeth or taking a shower and we use it to wash the dishes. When we get home, what's left over in the tank, WH and lines gets dumped out. It flows across the the RV pad and waters the yard. By the time we finish putting stuff away the tank is empty and I shut the valves.
Check with your state about having a open drain while on a public road. It is likely illegal. In Oregon it's named "illegal leaking load." People call 911 to report it, troopers and cops stop people for it. Myself being about a 45 year RVer I know the fresh water drain vs the black tank and the hazards of the 2nd. Many cops do not. I only warned those to close the draining FW tank until off a public road. The few I seen with a open black tank and it's contents leaking on the road got tickets. Co-workers said they cited people no matter what was leaking since it is the law. Oregon even has a law " Waste drain must be capped." leaking or not.
Just because you have not been stopped or cited, does not mean it's Ok. Just check your state laws or do not be surprised if someday you get a ticket.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:48 AM   #24
Rocketsled

The tank’s situated over the axles, but if there’s a lot of airspace, speeding up and slowing down causes it to slosh. It doesn’t have baffles in it, to my knowledge.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #25
Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonjon View Post
Drain and refill.

After we exit the dump station I will open up the water valve and let it start draining so when I get home it’s empty. Granted, most of my trips are within an hour or two. Longer trips I’ll leave it so I can use the bathroom and dump when I get home.
just be careful .. we all do it ... but I was stopped before for liquid leaking from my camper on the highway ...
officer said there is no way to distinguish whether its FRESH... GRAY ... or BLACK water leaking
he was cool but still i am careful now
Old 04-25-2021, 03:41 PM   #26
kneeslider

I'm two notches above novice here, but I believe to always empty your fresh water tank at the end of every tip. I also drain my hot water heater. Too many "funky" things like to lie in wait in wet dark places. Even drained if my trailer sits for more than three weeks I "sanitize" my system(s) with a little bleach & flush the system(s)! As for drinking water I use a Brita counter top filter.
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:51 PM   #27
Jim2366

Using fresh water is great thing.
Here is something that my wife an I use at home and in the RV. We have a Berkey water filter that sits next to the sink, we fill it with water and we use it for drinking water. While traveling I use bottled water.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:33 AM   #28
Lee

Hi,

My house is on a water well ... no fluoride or chlorine,... just sweet water!!!

I learned many years ago on my previous TT, that leaving this water in a 1/2 full FWT between trips,... it will turn green!!!

The only camping we do is Boon-docking. When I fill up the FWT now, I add a cup of Clorox to the 51gal tank. No more green problems and I do not dump between camping trips.

We do not drink water from the FWT or cook with it. I bring a 6gal tote for that.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:10 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

My house is on a water well ... no fluoride or chlorine,... just sweet water!!!

I learned many years ago on my previous TT, that leaving this water in a 1/2 full FWT between trips,... it will turn green!!!

The only camping we do is Boon-docking. When I fill up the FWT now, I add a cup of Clorox to the 51gal tank. No more green problems and I do not dump between camping trips.

We do not drink water from the FWT or cook with it. I bring a 6gal tote for that.
Realistically, if you are washing your dishes with the water then you are consuming whatever may be in the water.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, fresh water tank, tank, water