Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2019, 03:27 AM   #1
Northofu1

Sailun TV tires

I was wondering if anyone has put the Sailun Terramax HLT tires on their TV's.
Recommendations / complaints?

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:43 AM   #2
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has put the Sailun Terramax HLT tires on their TV's.
Recommendations / complaints?
yes I have, so far I love them, have about 35000 miles on them and they still have a good amount of tread left (my old BFG All terrain TA's would have been close to being done) in Km's the BFGs say 60,000km tread life but no guarantee, the Sailun's say 80,000km with a full road hazard guarantee.

I switched from the BFG's to these primarily because of cost, and a longer tread life that was guaranteed with road hazard. the BFGs were going to cost me 2700.00 cdn the sailun cost 1150.00 cdn.

they are quieter, last longer, just as good traction (if not better) than the All terrain TA's, and I wont hesitate to put them on when I finally wear them out.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:16 AM   #3
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
yes I have, so far I love them, have about 35000 miles on them and they still have a good amount of tread left (my old BFG All terrain TA's would have been close to being done) in Km's the BFGs say 60,000km tread life but no guarantee, the Sailun's say 80,000km with a full road hazard guarantee.

I switched from the BFG's to these primarily because of cost, and a longer tread life that was guaranteed with road hazard. the BFGs were going to cost me 2700.00 cdn the sailun cost 1150.00 cdn.

they are quieter, last longer, just as good traction (if not better) than the All terrain TA's, and I wont hesitate to put them on when I finally wear them out.

Steve
Thanks Steve

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post

Steve

I put 5 Sailun on my last 5er (Sailun came on my new Montana) for for $740. How does that equate to CN? If close to the border get them in the US and rub some mud on them before crossing.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:16 AM   #5
mcmeadows1

We, my wife and I, just last weekend (22 JUN 2019) had seven new Sailun Terramax AT4s tires installed on our DRW truck. The tire size is 235/80R17, load range ‘E.’ (Why seven tires? The spare tire needed to be replaced as well.) Here is the manufacturer’s web link for information on the tires -

http://www.gosailun.com/PLT/Tire/AT_4s

I know these tires don’t have much of a reputation (good or bad) in the light truck world, but the consensus amongst owners of RV trailers seems to be that Sailun tires are amongst the best tires one can buy. Also, I have seen many school buses, and other large commercial vehicles, fitted with Sailun tires.

As our truck is not a daily driver for either my wife or me, after only one week there is the all of about 100 miles of use on the tires, almost all of which are interstate travel. Obviously, we have neither enough mileage, time, nor use with the tires to provide anywhere near an authoritative opinion on whether or not the tires were a ‘good’ or ‘bad’ purchase decision. At this point, all I can give are our initial impressions of the tires, and only while used on paved roads.

Before departing the shop where we had the tires installed, I spoke to the mechanic who installed the tires. He said each tire required less than 5.5 ounces of weight to balance and all were easy to balance.

With regards to looks, I find the tread design to be mildly aggressive. I think the tires look good, and they complement the looks of our truck. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Even though the tires are all terrain (AT) designs, tire noise is minimal, and only noticeable at interstate speeds. Since we weren’t towing our 5th wheel RV, I drove the truck at 75/80 mph, which is when the tire noise became noticeable. When towing, I drive at 60/65 mph and I don’t expect we will be able to hear the tires at those speeds. At city speeds, the tires are quiet.

As for grip, the tires hold the truck very well to the road, noticeably better than the previous tires (Firestone Transforce HT). Those tires were about three years old and had about 25,000 miles on them.

Ride comfort is top notch. At all speeds, the truck felt very smooth. My wife especially commented on this aspect. There was no hint of any shimmying or shaking. None of us (my wife, kids, or I) felt any vibration in the truck.

The cost of the tires, plus mounting, balancing, installation, shop and other fees, road hazard warranty, and taxes, was $1,250.00 (U.S.). For seven tires, this is a fantastic deal.

That’s about it for now. As I said earlier, our truck is not a daily driver. It will take months for us to accumulate any appreciable use on the tires. Once that occurs, I will report back here.

Marty
mcmeadows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^^That's good to hear Marty. I figure folks will be interested in your experience as you go forward. I will say that if you hear noise from the tires when they are brand new you can expect it to get worse, maybe much worse, as they gain miles. I don't think I've ever had a set that didn't. With the AT tread hopefully it won't get too bad. I've had one set of Mud tires (Pro Comp) that weren't very noisy new but by about 20k they just plain howled at highway speeds. Hope they stay low key for you.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:42 AM   #7
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I put 5 Sailun on my last 5er (Sailun came on my new Montana) for for $740. How does that equate to CN? If close to the border get them in the US and rub some mud on them before crossing.
I'm not sure, I plan on changing my trailer tires to Sailun in a couple years but haven't checked into prices yet. for my truck it was big 20" tires and cost me less than 1/2 of what BFG all terrain ta's would have been and as fr as I am concerned the Sailun tires are better than the all terrain ta's.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires