Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
Fishhawk

cougar 27RLS query

Looking at a new 27RLS which we will pull with a GMC 1500, 5.3, 3.73 with tow package, equalizer wd hitch

Would appreciate any input on your experience with the 27RLS
Pros & Cons

Thanks
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Fishhawk..... Try doing a forum search for this model. There are numerous posts already on the forum about the 27RLS which you may find helpful.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Shelbs

The floor plan for the 27RLS is very similar to our new Passport 2850. So I have to commend you on your good taste in that department. My concern is weight. What is towing capacity on your GMC? I have a 2007 Sierra with what sounds like the same engine/package with a cap of 7400. I felt like I couldn't go heavier and the Cougar is a thousand pounds more than our Passport. I am far from an expert on towing weight. But I was told years ago to give yourself a thousand pounds of breathing room between tow capacity and actual loaded on the road weight. Sounds like you might be cutting it close. That said, ya might look into the Passport. Except for the larger bathroom the cougar is very similar to the 2850

We Are The Shelby's
Steven
Faith
Sierra and Abby (Woof!!!)
2014 Montana High Country 343RL
2014 Ford F250
Shelbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
CoveDweller

2012 Keystone Cougar 27RLS

Fishhawk - I have a 2004 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab. 5.3, 3.73 w/tow package, 3" torsion bar lift kit, SS Magnaflow exhaust, pulling a 2012 Keystone Cougar 27RLS. I also have the equalizer hitch which works real well. I did elect to add Hellwig overload springs which greatly improved the ride and rear ride height. I live in Illinois and purchased my travel trailer from Colerain RV in Cincinnatti Ohio, they by far had the best deal that I could find anywhere in the midwest. I did plenty of research regarding the tow capacity, etc and found this to be a pretty good combination. If you have any other questions or would like a picture of it hooked up I would be happy to email it too you.
CoveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Fishhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbs View Post
The floor plan for the 27RLS is very similar to our new Passport 2850. So I have to commend you on your good taste in that department. My concern is weight. What is towing capacity on your GMC? I have a 2007 Sierra with what sounds like the same engine/package with a cap of 7400. I felt like I couldn't go heavier and the Cougar is a thousand pounds more than our Passport. I am far from an expert on towing weight. But I was told years ago to give yourself a thousand pounds of breathing room between tow capacity and actual loaded on the road weight. Sounds like you might be cutting it close. That said, ya might look into the Passport. Except for the larger bathroom the cougar is very similar to the 2850
Thanks for the info
Before beginning my camper search, I had called GMC for tow capacity of my truck
They researched it and called back with tow capacity of 7700
The Cougar is 6300 dw
I'll watch my packing load and should be fine
Old 01-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Fishhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveDweller View Post
Fishhawk - I have a 2004 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab. 5.3, 3.73 w/tow package, 3" torsion bar lift kit, SS Magnaflow exhaust, pulling a 2012 Keystone Cougar 27RLS. I also have the equalizer hitch which works real well. I did elect to add Hellwig overload springs which greatly improved the ride and rear ride height. I live in Illinois and purchased my travel trailer from Colerain RV in Cincinnatti Ohio, they by far had the best deal that I could find anywhere in the midwest. I did plenty of research regarding the tow capacity, etc and found this to be a pretty good combination. If you have any other questions or would like a picture of it hooked up I would be happy to email it too you.
Thanks very much!
Please send me a PM and I will give you my email address and you can send the photos to me. Thanks

I feel good about the tow capacity but would appreciate reading your opinion on the 27RLS pro and cons if you have the time
Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
The Bear Trap

We picked up our 09 27RLS yesterday and pulled it a whopping 50 miles home.
The Equalizer hitch came with it. Our tv is an 06 F150 crew cab 4x 4 with tow package, 5.4 V8. It towed perfectly with no strain up or down hills. We were slightly worried about weight but have already cast that concern to the wind.
The Bear Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhawk View Post
Looking at a new 27RLS which we will pull with a GMC 1500, 5.3, 3.73 with tow package, equalizer wd hitch

Would appreciate any input on your experience with the 27RLS
Pros & Cons

Thanks
We have a similar trailer to yours. The only difference is that ours is about a 1000lbs heavier then yours. Our last TV was a 2004 GMC 1500 with tow package and the Equalizer hitch. It towed the trailer fine till we got into heavy winds or step grades then we found out that the truck was not enough to pull a fully loaded trailer of that size or weight. If your planning on short trips that don't include step grades or heavy winds then you would probably be fine. If you plan on doing trips that include mountian driving you might be in for some frustration. This is just what I have experienced with our set-up.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
Fishhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Trap View Post
We picked up our 09 27RLS yesterday and pulled it a whopping 50 miles home.
The Equalizer hitch came with it. Our tv is an 06 F150 crew cab 4x 4 with tow package, 5.4 V8. It towed perfectly with no strain up or down hills. We were slightly worried about weight but have already cast that concern to the wind.
Bear
do you happen to know what ratio the truck rear end is?

Ours is 3.73

Thanks
Old 01-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
The Bear Trap

Rear ratio

Its a 3.73,,,
The Bear Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
CoveDweller

27rls

Just wondering how you like your new 27rls?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Fishhawk

Hi Cove,

Actually,
We just returned home from spending the winter camping.in AL.
We are picking up the 27RLS tomorrow .

Looking forward to getting the camper home and doing a few standard mods while the DW makes it "homey"

Thanks for asking, As soon as we have some camping experience with it, I'll post some more info.

We sure like the 27 floor plan and it looks like our timing was really good on buying it both on closeout pricing and model availability.
The Keystone rep told me that they are only going to offer the 24RLS and the new 30RLS.
The floor plan difference in the 24 & 27 is the 27 has a couch.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #13
JimInMich

We bought the 2012 model back in Aug of last year. So far, we love it. You can see my vehicle in my sig line, tows it well enough. Not our 1st trailer, but it is the largest ( so far ).

My advise to you would be to upgrade your factory hitch. The tongue weight on this trailer is HEAVY! Mine is at 960lbs ( 1 battery and full propane ), and we travel fairly light. We carry only a few gallons of water in the tank to flush if we need to use the bathroom on the road and fill up at the park we are staying at. This is because the water tank is up front. A full tank of water weigh's 340lbs. No idea how much extra weight that would be on the tongue. We have plans on trying out some dry camping this year, so I will be buying a tongue scale and finding out as soon as the weather permits. I am hoping I'll be ok. I bought a Curt class V hitch rated at 1,400lb tongue/14,000 cap with WD hitch setup. With water and an 2 batteries, I'm betting will be maxed out.
11 Chevy Silverado Ext.Cab Z-71 4x4, 5.3 v8, 3:43 w/locker, Factory tow package, Equal-I-zer 1200#, Curt Class V Receiver
12 Cougar XLite 27RLS ( 960# Tongue, 6740# Gross as loaded)
Just the Wife and I.
JimInMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
Fishhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMich View Post
We bought the 2012 model back in Aug of last year. So far, we love it. You can see my vehicle in my sig line, tows it well enough. Not our 1st trailer, but it is the largest ( so far ).

My advise to you would be to upgrade your factory hitch. The tongue weight on this trailer is HEAVY! Mine is at 960lbs ( 1 battery and full propane ), and we travel fairly light. We carry only a few gallons of water in the tank to flush if we need to use the bathroom on the road and fill up at the park we are staying at. This is because the water tank is up front. A full tank of water weigh's 340lbs. No idea how much extra weight that would be on the tongue. We have plans on trying out some dry camping this year, so I will be buying a tongue scale and finding out as soon as the weather permits. I am hoping I'll be ok. I bought a Curt class V hitch rated at 1,400lb tongue/14,000 cap with WD hitch setup. With water and an 2 batteries, I'm betting will be maxed out.
Thanks for the post Jim

Keystone specs have the tonque weight of my Cougar xlite 27RLS at 715 lbs
I called Keystone to confirm that this weight includes battery and full propane tanks and they said it did

Like you, we travel with just enough water for that emergency flush

I can't explain why your tonque weight is so much heavier than mine (960 vs 715 lbs)
Or why you expect to max out at a very heavy 1400 lbs on the Tonque

Please let me know results when you get your tonque scale,

I appreciate your info and time
Old 03-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
CoveDweller

Overload Springs

I've had to add a set of Hellwig EZ-990 overloads to compensate for the additional tongue weight of the 27 RLS. The beauty of these springs is it doesn't change the ride of your truck when your not pulling your trailer. It did raise the rear end of the truck up about 1".
Old 03-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
jq1031

There is a few things you can do to help keep that weight down while on the road. Most important is to travel with 3 empty tanks, maybe a few gallons in the water tank for flushing. Limit the amount of food & bottle goods you travel with as this stuff packs on the pounds, no pun intended, generators, heavy tools & other pieces of equiptment in the bed of your truck again add significant weight. Your tire rating is important & I've seen posts in this forum from other half ton owners who changed out there tires. The addition of air bags will help to keep you level, but in no way increase your weight capacity & lastly if you were to have an accident & are overloaded your insurance claim could be voided because of unsafe operation of the truck & trailer. Not trying to be negetive in this matter but these are a few things that may help your situation.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
JimInMich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhawk View Post
Thanks for the post Jim

Keystone specs have the tonque weight of my Cougar xlite 27RLS at 715 lbs
I called Keystone to confirm that this weight includes battery and full propane tanks and they said it did
We have the same trailer. I was assured it only weighed 715lb as well. There is under bed storage. We placed some stuff in there, so that would bring the weight up a bit. We only had a few days of clothing in the wardrobe cabinets as well. Also added a memry foam mattress topper, and the little bit if extra bedding. Then there is the few things I had placed in the storage section up front. We're only talking a 245lb difference. It wouldn't take much to hit that mark. I got my weight from a certified truck scale, so I'm sure it's fairly accurate.

Quote:
Or why you expect to max out at a very heavy 1400 lbs on the Tonque
Well, I'm at 960 now + 340lb of water + 70lb for 2nd battery = 1370lb ( slightly less, the 960 had included a few gallons of water ). I know all of the weight won't be directly on the tongue, but a good majority of it will be.
11 Chevy Silverado Ext.Cab Z-71 4x4, 5.3 v8, 3:43 w/locker, Factory tow package, Equal-I-zer 1200#, Curt Class V Receiver
12 Cougar XLite 27RLS ( 960# Tongue, 6740# Gross as loaded)
Just the Wife and I.
JimInMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
f6bits

I’m surprised Keystone said the tongue weight included the battery and full propane tanks. I keep hearing it excludes batteries and tanks.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote