Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #1
DarnDog

Stereo L/R Speakers

I'm a proud owner of a new, Keystone Bullet Crossfire 1800RB. This is my first trailer and I have yet to commence on the maiden voyage.

I have a Furrion Stereo and the L/R doesn't work as expected.
Inside speakers are strictly the "Right" channel.
Outside speakers are strictly the "Left" channel.
The inside/outside/both selector switch works fine.
I can turn both indoor speakers off by simply adjusting the L/R balance. Same thing with outdoor speakers.

The dealer replaced the inside/outside/both selector switch and said that's the way the radio operates. "Just Keystone being cheap" they tell me. This is after I waited 4-1/2 hours for them to troubleshoot it.

I grew up in the 70's with hotrods and loud music. I know enough about stereo systems and this isn't right! (huh, I even had a Pioneer Supertuner under-dash unit back in the day!)

Can anyone else confirm their L/R feature works correctly? (or doesn't?)
DarnDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I was an audiophile in the late 60s/70s and even today with my receivers/surround etc. The RV system is different. I replaced the speakers but mine has the Jensen 3 zone head that works fine on some things and not so much on others. When I replaced the speakers I pulled the head to try to figure out what they did....after about an hour of wire tracing I put them all back. I could not ascertain the reasoning or madness and....I can blow us out if I want, which I don't (to these aged ears) so it is no longer on my radar. An RV, unless in a remote area where you are alone, is not the place to "crank it up".
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
DarnDog

Thanks for the reply Sourdough! Please understand my intent is not to crank it up; My taste in music has become much more refined and I probably won't even use the radio. Nonetheless it drives me nuts that it just doesn't work right on a brand-new trailer.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, we don't use the radio at all. I use the speakers to augment the TV and the BluRay/CD player. Strangely, when using the built in Jensen head for radio or CD all 4 speakers in the living area work and the controls work properly. As soon as I go to the TV, or BluRay, which we use predominantly, I lose 2 speakers. It was more than I wanted to mess with since the volume was more than we needed anyway with the new speakers. My L/R works but the fade just turns them off when you change F/R. The daisy chaining they did would require me to pull down the ceiling to trace wires to figure out.... Good luck on figuring yours out.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:04 AM   #5
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscheckler View Post
I'm a proud owner of a new, Keystone Bullet Crossfire 1800RB. This is my first trailer and I have yet to commence on the maiden voyage.

I have a Furrion Stereo and the L/R doesn't work as expected.
Inside speakers are strictly the "Right" channel.
Outside speakers are strictly the "Left" channel.
The inside/outside/both selector switch works fine.
I can turn both indoor speakers off by simply adjusting the L/R balance. Same thing with outdoor speakers.

The dealer replaced the inside/outside/both selector switch and said that's the way the radio operates. "Just Keystone being cheap" they tell me. This is after I waited 4-1/2 hours for them to troubleshoot it.

I grew up in the 70's with hotrods and loud music. I know enough about stereo systems and this isn't right! (huh, I even had a Pioneer Supertuner under-dash unit back in the day!)

Can anyone else confirm their L/R feature works correctly? (or doesn't?)
What model Furrion radio is it?

According to Furrions 3100 radio, channel A should be both left and right. Pull the radio and check the wiring.

2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #6
DarnDog

WNY Bullet, could you please re-post that schematic? For some reason it's no longer showing up.
My radio is a Furrion DV7100. The selector switch is American Technology Components AP-SEL-031. I cannot find anything online for the switch.
Thanks!
Old 04-29-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
DarnDog

Hi everyone... I got it. They had the wires all messed up. Took about an hour and some good troubleshooting but I got it. Sounds 1000% better and works the way I'd expect. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Glad to hear you got it. For 2 years, every trailer we got from the factory in a certain brand was like yours. We almost dropped them and that was ONE of the many reasons. It’s a PITA to identify the wires and then rewire them correctly.

You done good

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #9
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscheckler View Post
Hi everyone... I got it. They had the wires all messed up. Took about an hour and some good troubleshooting but I got it. Sounds 1000% better and works the way I'd expect. Thanks for everyone's input.
I'm glad you figured it out!
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speakers