Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
waltheraustin

2015 keystone hideout 27dbs

What are others towing this unit with?

I plan to go get it weighed soon but haven't just yet but will before a long trip. Anyone know what the tongue weighs with battery and propane bottles? Trying to get a packing visual on it. It has nice and long storage at the rear. Putting things over the axles is hard since the slide in doesn't leave much room.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Looks like the trailer gvw is 7870. Figure 13-15% for loaded tongue weight. The bedroom and passthru appear to be at the front with the kitchen in the middle and bathroom/bunks in back. I did not see a rear storage compartment.

With that layout, and I assume kids with the bunks, You'll have to work from it being very nose heavy and/or the truck bed full (you didn't specify TV).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
waltheraustin

It's a f150 3.5 with 2038lb of payload. The layout you described is correct. Took it for one test tow that went really well. Got the eq 4 pt dialed in a bit better for the longer haul coming up this weekend.

But still a little nervous since it's a big trailer.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
waltheraustin

I won't ever get close to the to 7870 since I drain every drop of water from the tanks, hot water heater and pipes. If I did, looks like it would be close but no liquid execpt a case of water and a few 18 packs.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Retired Copper

Hi and congrads on the camper. What gears are in your eco boost, what tires are you running and shocks. Was pulling a little lighter trailer with a 5.0 3.55 gears and e4; it did a good job for local pulls. But for the safe feeling for me I added better shocks and LT tires.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltheraustin View Post
I won't ever get close to the to 7870 since I drain every drop of water from the tanks, hot water heater and pipes. If I did, looks like it would be close but no liquid execpt a case of water and a few 18 packs.

I don't know now old the kiddos are but they can really bump the weight up with "kid stuff"; either in the trailer or in the truck. If you go on longer trips things just keep adding up and piling in - and that's with just me and DW. We've been in FL for 5 months and accumulated so much stuff we didn't have with us that I'm giving away a new cooler, my Coleman grill etc. to save weight and gain space. and I travel with tanks empty except 1/3 fresh water....in case. Also, if you're going on a "longer trip" I wouldn't recommend draining the water heater and pipes while traveling; big waste of time and water and convenience.

Sounds like the Ford will be up to the task. For long hauls for me, and as was mentioned, I went to LT tires with a 1/2 ton. I also added AirLift 1000 airbags to my Ram 1500. If you have P rated tires I would recommend doing that at some point.

With a 2038 payload I would also think about what you can put in the bed of the truck vs in the trailer. I added a BakFlip 4 panel solid folding bed cover so it could double as waterproof storage. Being able to transfer some of that payload weight from the nose of the trailer to above, or in front of, the truck axles helped to me.

The Equalizer should be plenty good for the job. I would recommend greasing it per instructions and they are an excellent sway/WDH. I really like mine.

Good luck and have fun on the trip.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Copper View Post
Hi and congrads on the camper. What gears are in your eco boost, what tires are you running and shocks. Was pulling a little lighter trailer with a 5.0 3.55 gears and e4; it did a good job for local pulls. But for the safe feeling for me I added better shocks and LT tires.
10 speed 3.15 which I thought about changing but it runs really well. 10 speed works well. Still being used to it and would like to tune just for the shooting l shifting aspect. It has lt tires on it so I'll inflate for now

Old 03-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #8
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't know now old the kiddos are but they can really bump the weight up with "kid stuff"; either in the trailer or in the truck. If you go on longer trips things just keep adding up and piling in - and that's with just me and DW. We've been in FL for 5 months and accumulated so much stuff we didn't have with us that I'm giving away a new cooler, my Coleman grill etc. to save weight and gain space. and I travel with tanks empty except 1/3 fresh water....in case. Also, if you're going on a "longer trip" I wouldn't recommend draining the water heater and pipes while traveling; big waste of time and water and convenience.

Sounds like the Ford will be up to the task. For long hauls for me, and as was mentioned, I went to LT tires with a 1/2 ton. I also added AirLift 1000 airbags to my Ram 1500. If you have P rated tires I would recommend doing that at some point.

With a 2038 payload I would also think about what you can put in the bed of the truck vs in the trailer. I added a BakFlip 4 panel solid folding bed cover so it could double as waterproof storage. Being able to transfer some of that payload weight from the nose of the trailer to above, or in front of, the truck axles helped to me.

The Equalizer should be plenty good for the job. I would recommend greasing it per instructions and they are an excellent sway/WDH. I really like mine.

Good luck and have fun on the trip.
I had Firestone Ride-Rite airbags on my last truck. So I might do that again or go with Timbrens

Old 03-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
waltheraustin

Thanks all! Just have to make sure the hitch is adjusted right. Had to flip the bracket and go down a few holes. I'll get it reconnected on Friday morning to make sure. Going to make for a better in law visit to not sleep on the floor!

Old 03-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
10 speed 3.15 which I thought about changing but it runs really well. 10 speed works well. Still being used to it and would like to tune just for the shooting l shifting aspect. It has lt tires on it so I'll inflate for now

Just fyi; a 3.15 rear ratio is about one of the last things you want for towing with a gas engine...or not. Good for mileage, yeah. Pulling ANYTHING....not really. 10 speed will be better and help you cover the deficiencies of a 3.15 to some degree (never heard of one in a towing truck) but I would be looking for something else....maybe, anything else - or be aware that you WILL NOT have an optimal towing experience?

Many go with "what you have", myself included at a time, that was never meant for doing what we put on it, and we find later that they really were never meant for what we tasked them with. A 3.15 ratio, EcoBoost or not (and not the most powerful out there), would limit anything.....at all.

I would suggest you look at ALL the recommendations that have been made. With a 3.15, does your truck even have a towing package?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:39 PM   #11
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just fyi; a 3.15 rear ratio is about one of the last things you want for towing with a gas engine...or not. Good for mileage, yeah. Pulling ANYTHING....not really. 10 speed will be better and help you cover the deficiencies of a 3.15 to some degree (never heard of one in a towing truck) but I would be looking for something else....maybe, anything else - or be aware that you WILL NOT have an optimal towing experience?

Many go with "what you have", myself included at a time, that was never meant for doing what we put on it, and we find later that they really were never meant for what we tasked them with. A 3.15 ratio, EcoBoost or not (and not the most powerful out there), would limit anything.....at all.

I would suggest you look at ALL the recommendations that have been made. With a 3.15, does your truck even have a towing package?
Yes, IBC, tranny cooler, class IV hitch, oil cooler and >2k payload.

Getting it up to speed and keeping speed wasn't a concern after the test tow. I didn't go to 9th or 10th gear but I would expect those to be overdrive gears. Truck's tranny temp didn't look to be close to the yellow or anything close to yellow. The stability was my concern but getting up and maintaining isn't really a concern at this point. I've thought about putting in a 3.55 but when I changed from a 3.08 to a 3.73 in my last truck, I didn't see the"big deal". I never felt a "seat of the pants" feeling. From what I've read the 10 speed is the great equalizer. I have better ratios than a 6 speed 3.55 or even a 3.73 (don't recall without looking at the charts)

Old 03-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I have no experience with the 10 speed and see how it could effectively boost the ratio to some degree (maximizing the power band/ axle ratio). Sounds like you've checked it out and it works for you so I'm wishing you the best and happy travels.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:48 PM   #13
waltheraustin

Thanks man

Also wanted to add that it has the shift select so I can lock out gears

What I've read is that Max tow doesn't really add more gvwr anymore for 15+. HDPP adds a bunch but that's it. Essentially you can add the small things like rear diff, bigger tank and have the same as a Max tow not a HDPP, that's another story since the frame is actually thicker on the new F-150. I probably would've gone the HDPP route if I hadn't found one with the extras that really matter at a great price. The family rides comy with a big back seat. It's nice to have a truck to take trips in without towing or hook up and go.

Better tires and shocks will be coming up. I tend to get the wife buy in on trips of I can point out how much it will improve this out that.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #14
waltheraustin

Quote:
Thanks man

Also wanted to add that it has the shift select so I can lock out gears

What I've read is that Max tow doesn't really add more gvwr anymore for 15+. HDPP adds a bunch but that's it. Essentially you can add the small things like rear diff, bigger tank and have the same as a Max tow not a HDPP, that's another story since the frame is actually thicker on the new F-150. I probably would've gone the HDPP route if I hadn't found one with the extras that really matter at a great price. The family rides comy with a big back seat. It's nice to have a truck to take trips in without towing or hook up and go.

Better tires and shocks will be coming up. I tend to get the wife buy in on trips of I can point out how much it will improve this out that.

It also has a 12 bolt 9.75 bigger semi floating axle.

Tags
hideout, keystone