Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
old racer

Air cushioned pin boxes

Looking into getting a trailair cushion pin box for our Cougar 325 srx. Is anyone currently using one of these or the fifth airborne model? Any feedback on either of these or any other models would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
old racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by old racer View Post
Looking into getting a trailair cushion pin box for our Cougar 325 srx. Is anyone currently using one of these or the fifth airborne model? Any feedback on either of these or any other models would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I'm waiting for a deal on Craig's list for a trailer saver 3...lots of friend have them and swear by them
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

We looked at 3 pin boxes: 5th Airborne, Morrhyde and Trail Aire. Each has its own merits but in the end we decided on the 5th Airborne. We've had it for part of one camping season and I am still experimenting with both the air pressure and the positioning of the pin box. There are 5 different positions - front to back - that you can place the pin box depending upon the weight of the RV and various psi amounts that you can inflate the air bag.
This pin box does result in a smoother pull- less chucking and less bounce - for both the 5th wheel and the TV. For me , it is just a matter of finding the best position and the right psi which will produce the best results but I am pleased with the performance of the 5th Airborne so far. Still tweaking---looking for that "sweet spot".
I really don't think one is that much better or worse than the other. Anyone of those 3 would be fine.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
linebiker

Love my Trail Air, chucking gone, slaming tamed.

08 Raptor 299
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Lone Star
B&W Companion 5th
linebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
slewis95407

We went with trailersaver TS3 hitch. DW whined about the price, but fell in love with it before we got to the end of our driveway (long driveway). Also was nice when we moved to a new 5th wheel. Didn't have to purchace a new pin box.

Scott

Fulltimer
2011 Cougar 326MKS
1997 F250 Reg. Cab. 7.3L
slewis95407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
kenn209

Does these air boxes relieve all of the up and down slamming when going over bumps on the freeway? Like when we go over a bridge sometimes it feels like the pinbox welds are going to fail! Maybe my truck needs new shocks...
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
linebiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn209 View Post
Does these air boxes relieve all of the up and down slamming when going over bumps on the freeway? Like when we go over a bridge sometimes it feels like the pinbox welds are going to fail! Maybe my truck needs new shocks...
That is reason I got the trail air, friend of mine with similar rig said he was afraid he would break truck in half....he got the trail air. I had same experence with mine so just went with his advice. May get some up and down but rarely any slamming now.

08 Raptor 299
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Lone Star
B&W Companion 5th
linebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn209 View Post
I think the best that you could hope for is a significant reduction in both the vertical and horizontal movement of the 5th wheel. They do provide "relief" which results in a smoother ride up front and less stress on the 5th wheel. Bumps, such as freeway dividers, railway tracks, etc., feel less "bumpy" but none of these air pin boxes will totally eliminate all movement. Some claim a 60%+ reduction but whatever their claims, all make for a smoother, less stressful ride.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
s92pilot

I am using a Reese Sidewinder with the 5th Airborne pin box. It really seems to do the trick dampening the chucking. I notice very little vertical movement that isn't dampened out fairly quickly. It took a while to get the air pressure adjusted to a good comfortable range but once it was all set it works great. I run 85psi and the bladder is in the mid position in the mounting slots.

Dan & Dar
2011 Cougar 26sab
Florida
s92pilot is offline   Reply With Quote