Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #1
TheGriz

Generator Tri-Fuel Conversion

Good morning folks,

I have been noodling on whether to "make an investment" to convert my Generac GP5500 from straight gasoline (if that's what we can really call it today with the 10% ethanol) to being "tri-fuel" capable...gasoline, LP, and natural gas (NG). BTW, this is my HOUSEhold back-up generator, not my TT generator. Since I don't have NG at my place, the alternative fuel would be LP.

I have weighed the pros and cons of the status quo and the conversion. U.S. Carburation has a current kit ($187+$13 shpg) that does not require any frame modifications, and they refer to this kit as the "Motor Snorkel". In addition to the kit's demand regulator, hoses and miscellaneous nut and bolts, the effective component is merely a 1/4" thick gasket inserted between the carburetor and the air filter housing which has a "hole/hose" that allows the feed of the LP/NG. Gasoline continues to be fed via the existing way.
Switching fuel source simply requires closing the valve of one source and opening the valve of the other. The conversion is a 30 minute easy job, and can be run off a simple BBQ LP tank or larger...whatever is available.

The major debate points in my head seem to be fuel availability, fuel storage, fuel shelf life, and fuel efficiency. I am asking that the "brain trust" here weigh in?

Thanks,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:11 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Propane will stay "fresh" for quite a while, so that's probably not the issue. I wonder how long the run time would be on say a 7gal tank would be. If your RV the same size tank you cold always rotate the tanks to keep fresh stuff at the house gen. having a backup to a backup isn't a bad thing at all in my opinion.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't seen that specific kit, but ruled out converting our larger equipment (used for emergency home power) because of the lack of performance on LP/NG. Here's a quote from the Champion website: "Using gasoline, the 171cc Champion engine produces 3100 starting watts and 2800 running watts, and will run for 8 hours at 25% load. It produces 2800 starting watts and 2520 running watts, and will run for 19 hours at 25% load when using a 20-pound propane tank."

As you can see, there's about a 10% reduction in power output on LP and there's an even further reduction on most tri fuel generators when using NG.

The 3100 watt generator in the above quote has a 1.6 gal gas tank, so that's about 0.2 gal per hour at 25% load. Using LP (20 pound tank) it's about 1.05 pounds per hour at 25% load. To compare "apples to apples" LP weighs 4.2 pounds per gallon, so 1.6 gallons of propane weighs about 6.7 pounds. That means, at 1.05 pounds per hour, the equivalent 1.6 gallons of propane would provide about 6.4 hours at 25% load, or about 0.25 gal per hour when using LP (compared to 0.2 gal using gas).

What does all that mean? For me, gas runs the generator longer per gallon, provides about 10% more generator output power per gallon, costs about 75% less than propane and is more readily available.

Now, if you heat your home with propane or have a "large propane tank" that's serviced by an LP company, then it may be cheaper, but if you're going to use "BBQ tanks" to power a home generator for emergency use, it may be a hassle to find a place to refuel the tanks every 19 hours during a community wide power outage. At least around here, I can find a place to fill a 5 gallon gas tank much easier than I can find someone "pumping propane" during a storm.

But before all that, first, I'd determine if the 10% reduced power output on LP would affect how and what I use the generator to power during emergencies. Depending on that answer, the rest may not even be worth considering.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
TheGriz

Thanks for quick responses. Back-up to the back-up is a good thing...absolutely! Gasoline is possibly more available than LP during an extended power outage. I pay $2.50/gallon for LP...$2.75 for gasoline...basically a wash. Run time gasoline has a small advantage...maybe 10%. I do have a 100 gallon LP tank to run my LP fireplace log (alternative heat to heat pump). The big tank though is 100 feet or so from generator location.

Here is link to the kit I'm referring to: https://www.motorsnorkel.com/catalog...ult/?q=msk3101

The beauty of the tri-fuel capability is one uses what one has available. Today's gasoline with stabilizer begins degradation in about six months. If one is diligent in rotation, I presume gasoline would always be there when the power goes out. I'm not that disciplined. I keep the two 30lb LP tanks filled on my RV plus a few 20lb BBQ tanks gives me enough run time for at least a few days with the GP5500. I basically only run it in morning (2-3 hours) to kick on well pump and rotate with the water heater to shower and refresh the water in the three toilets. Also, can cook breakfast in morning. Certainly YMMV. I use a 1200/2000 watt baby generator to keep fridge, television, internet and light bulb going when the beast is not running...one gallon gasoline gives me 13 hours run time!!!

Keeping 30 gals of LP certainly buys enough time to get more LP and/or gasoline if available. And I usually keep about 10 gallons of gasoline for tractors, trimmers, snow blowers, etc. During Sandy...forget it! Here in PA everybody from NJ was coming here creating shortages and ridiculous lines at pump...just saying. I had power down for nine days during Sandy...that sucked.

5.5KWs are good. And 5.0KWs (minus 10% efficiency loss) with LP are better than no KWs if no gasoline is available.

Options are always a good thing!

Old 11-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

I have been considering this kit too for my Generac 4000xl. This will be the second time that I am replacing gaskets and hoses due to ethanol in gasoline. I can not store it with fuel or it develops leaks which in turn does not allow me to exercise it regularly. During Sandy, as mentioned, gas was at a premium but exchange LP tanks were everywhere. I also figure that storage after LP use would not cause gumming and exercising on LP would be easier. I used a Honeywell 2000w for fridge and internet. (necessities - cold ones and forum ) It runs forever on a gallon. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I also figure that storage after LP use would not cause gumming and exercising on LP would be easier.
Excellent point, as the generator needs to be run occasionally for various reasons!

Old 11-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
TheGriz

Hello folks,

Completed the tri-fuel conversion today on my Generac GP5500 generator. It is running like a top.

https://youtu.be/zyw5QG9vEHY

Tags
fuel, generator