Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
chapmana.0216

Height of the pin box

We have a 30 foot Springdale. We originally had a GMC Sierra 1500 but have discovered that is not as powerful as we would like. We sold the truck and got a Ram Laramie 2500. Bed of the truck/hitch is much taller than our GMC Sierra. We want to adjust the pin box and move the hitch up higher. We need to do this to level out the ride of the trailer otherwise the back bumper is too low when we are towing. Any new mind give us advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chapmana.0216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmana.0216 View Post
[IMG]We have a 30 foot Springdale. We originally had a GMC Sierra 1500 but have discovered that is not as powerful as we would like. We sold the truck and got a Ram Laramie 2500. Bed of the truck/hitch is much taller than our GMC Sierra. We want to adjust the pin box and move the hitch up higher. We need to do this to level out the ride of the trailer otherwise the back bumper is too low when we are towing. Any new mind give us advice?
It may be easier to adjust the height of your fifth wheel in the truck bed *IF* it can be done and maintain adequate clearance between the trailer and the bed rails of the pickup box. Even adjusting the pin box will have the same issue.

I would caution you that no matter which you end up adjusting (pin box or fifth wheel), there are torque specs for re-tightening all the bolts on either or both. The manufacturer of your fifth wheel hitch will have the information on their website, most likely in the downloadable installation instructions for your model. If you have a stock pin box, it's most likely a Lippert and they should have the specs on their website.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Only additional information I would add is if you do move the pin box, make sure to use the same number of bolts on each side. Put an upward load on the pin box BEFORE you tighten the bolts. We use an impact gun turned up all the way (140 PSI) and I’m willing to bet we get upwards of 200 lb/ft of torque on them.

Reason for upward pressure is there is some play in the holes, and when hitched up there is upward force exerted, so take it out before you tighten things up. We use the forklift at work. When I changed my pin box at home, I set it on the hitch and retracted the front jacks just enough to take all the play out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Only additional information I would add is if you do move the pin box, make sure to use the same number of bolts on each side. Put an upward load on the pin box BEFORE you tighten the bolts. We use an impact gun turned up all the way (140 PSI) and I’m willing to bet we get upwards of 200 lb/ft of torque on them.

Reason for upward pressure is there is some play in the holes, and when hitched up there is upward force exerted, so take it out before you tighten things up. We use the forklift at work. When I changed my pin box at home, I set it on the hitch and retracted the front jacks just enough to take all the play out.
I would look up the manufacturer torque spec for the pin box bolts and use a torque wrench to tighten to the correct specifications, over torquing a bolt can lead to the bolt failing!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
texas-traveler

had a similar issue with the cedar creek rig I had. (trading in tomorrow).dodge ram crew cab 4 X4. to clear bed rails had to have axles raised to get clearance on bed. had done at a truck/trailer alignment shop in tx.
Finally replaced bed with a C&M flat bed with a dove tailed end works great
Old 10-06-2017, 04:51 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Height of the pin box

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I would look up the manufacturer torque spec for the pin box bolts and use a torque wrench to tighten to the correct specifications, over torquing a bolt can lead to the bolt failing!
I agree, but According to Lipperts web site torque values for standard pin box are not published. If you look at either aftermarket they say 3/4" bolts need a minimum of 210 lb/ft. Common 1/2" drive torque wrench limit out at well under that.

I do happen to have a 3/4" drive torque wrench at home for my auto business and it limits out at 300, so that's why we use an impact gun at the dealership.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
tgpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas-traveler View Post
had a similar issue with the cedar creek rig I had. (trading in tomorrow).dodge ram crew cab 4 X4. to clear bed rails had to have axles raised to get clearance on bed. had done at a truck/trailer alignment shop in tx.
Finally replaced bed with a C&M flat bed with a dove tailed end works great
What's the average cost now days to have the axles flipped on a 5th?
Old 10-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
texas-traveler

If I remember it was less than $200 to get mine raised. My old unit had multi hole shackles they only had to remove the shackle bolts and go to the next hole.