Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
Voltsandjolts

Newbie with pin box question

Well I'll admit this is the first forum I have ever joined, but seemed like the smart choice so I can make this RV experience as safe and fun as possible. Soon we'll b picking up our first 5th wheel. 44yrs old seemed like a good time to start enjoying life. I have a 2001 Ford F250 with a 4" lift and a B&W turnover ball in the truck. I purchased the Anderson Aluminum Ultimate hitch to convert to pulling the 5th wheel. My question is can I adjust the pin box all the way up and then tilt it UP jus slightly to gain the couple inches I need to be able pull the camper level? I am a mechanical guy but I'll admit I don't know much about the structural integrity of a 5th wheel frame. Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Voltsandjolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
bsmith0404

A very slight angle might be ok, but I'm not sure what you are gaining by changing the geometry of the pin box. Your biggest concern that you have to watch for with a lifted truck is the clearance between the side rails of the truck bed and the nose of your 5er. You obtain the clearance with a properly adjusted hitch and pin box. If you don't have the clearance needed when the trailer is level, nothing you do will change that. You will have a choice of lifting your 5er (not recommended by me), towing nose high (not recommended), or lowering your truck (best option for towing stability). I
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltsandjolts View Post
Well I'll admit this is the first forum I have ever joined, but seemed like the smart choice so I can make this RV experience as safe and fun as possible. Soon we'll b picking up our first 5th wheel. 44yrs old seemed like a good time to start enjoying life. I have a 2001 Ford F250 with a 4" lift and a B&W turnover ball in the truck. I purchased the Anderson Aluminum Ultimate hitch to convert to pulling the 5th wheel. My question is can I adjust the pin box all the way up and then tilt it UP jus slightly to gain the couple inches I need to be able pull the camper level? I am a mechanical guy but I'll admit I don't know much about the structural integrity of a 5th wheel frame. Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Is the 5th wheel you're getting new or used? When we picked up our 5th wheel at the dealer, they installed the hitch (slider at the time) and adjusted everything prior to me driving off the lot. I'm guessing they should do the same for you? If used from a private party, I'm sure you'll get the info you need fro those here who are very familiar with the process.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

The pin box can be moved up, but it cannot be "tilted". You need a minimum of 4 bolts and usual is 6 bolts holding the pin box to the frame. There isn't much play to tilt the box.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
Voltsandjolts

The 5th wheel is used and I'm not much for having others work on my truck. Not to mention, I had to tell em (at the dealership) that it looked a little light in the front b4 be noticed it. I'm hoping I'll be fine jus by raising the pin box to the top most holes. Taking the lift off would be a real PAIN!! However, could b the perfect segway to telling the wife we need a new 6.7 Powerstroke Hopefully we pick it up this week and I'll post pics of my dilemma and/or solution. Or pics of a new truck! Lol
Old 08-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The pin box can be moved up, but it cannot be "tilted". You need a minimum of 4 bolts and usual is 6 bolts holding the pin box to the frame. There isn't much play to tilt the box.
Best to loose the 4" lift rather than try to lift the 5er. Then you have 4" less TV height to worry about in trying to achieve a level package.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
Bolo4u

Quote:
The 5th wheel is used and I'm not much for having others work on my truck. Not to mention, I had to tell em (at the dealership) that it looked a little light in the front b4 be noticed it. I'm hoping I'll be fine jus by raising the pin box to the top most holes. Taking the lift off would be a real PAIN!! However, could b the perfect segway to telling the wife we need a new 6.7 Powerstroke Hopefully we pick it up this week and I'll post pics of my dilemma and/or solution. Or pics of a new truck! Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Best to loose the 4" lift rather than try to lift the 5er. Then you have 4" less TV height to worry about in trying to achieve a level package.
And hope, in the interim, you don't have any dips or angular approaches leading into/out of a parking lot, RV park, driveway, etc.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
bobbecky

Our rig was new and the only adjustment to the pin box would be to lower it. It came at the highest position, and any higher would be jamming it into the fiberglass front cap, and there needs to be a little clearance there to allow a tiny bit of movement from the pin box movement. Even the newer trucks stock are a bit on the high side, and you really need about 6" above the truck rails to be safe.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:32 AM   #9
Voltsandjolts

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it. I will post pics when we pick it up. See what u think of my tow angle.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:56 AM   #10
Voltsandjolts

Had a new thought guys....... the tires on it now are very cheap and a D rated tire. Since I know I'll be putting new tires on it anyway, why couldn't I go with a ST225-90-16E. That would give me a better load capacity plus add 3" of height to the camper thus only making me adjust the pin box up 1" to compensate for the 4" lift in the rear. Seems like that would ba viable alternative to removing the lift. Thoughts, opinions???
Old 08-22-2017, 05:00 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Had a new thought guys....... the tires on it now are very cheap and a D rated tire. Since I know I'll be putting new tires on it anyway, why couldn't I go with a ST225-90-16E. That would give me a better load capacity plus add 3" of height to the camper thus only making me adjust the pin box up 1" to compensate for the 4" lift in the rear. Seems like that would ba viable alternative to removing the lift. Thoughts, opinions???
One word... Clearance

Tags