Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
cardinal96ss

GM 2011-2016 diesel emissions cheating ?

Now I find my truck involved in possible emissions cheating. There is a class action law suit filed by the same group of lawyers involved in the recent VW suit that resulted in VW buy-backs. Here is a link that summarizes the issue- http://www.equipmentworld.com/gm-sla...ions-cheating/
Now what to do? Join the suit?
Opinions please.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Enjoy your truck. If I read the article right the lawyers are claiming the "order of exhaust treatments" is the main issue...

Next we will hear of a class action suit against ford for making the transmissions defeat the emissions by shifting into neutral while coasting....

Do whatever YOU think you should do. In almost all cases like this, IF IT IS SETTLED, the lawyers get the majority of the award and the "clients" get a few pennies on the dollar.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
bsmith0404

What two tree huggers filed the suit to begin with. This isn't like the VW suit where the cars computers were giving false information about fuel consumption, this is saying the emissions were reversed which supposedly tricks the lab testing, but creates more efficiency and better fuel mileage. I own one of these trucks and I'm not going to complain a bit about better fuel mileage. The part that gets me, if any of this is factual and GM knew it, do you think Ford and Dodge wouldn't have figured it out and blew the whistle on them?

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Frank G

I am totally amazed, there is a thriving industry out there providing total emissions delete packages and tuning (the ability for the computer to think all emissions stuff is in place and operating properly) software. On some forums you belong to an elite group if you "delete" and throw more soot to the environment. Total bragging rights.

Where are all the do-gooders on this one. Personally I hate to follow one, they stink. I can't imagine what it smells like in an RV at the end of a long trip.

No matter the end result, todays Diesel's are the cleanest they have ever been. Is there room for improvement, sure. Did someone cheat? Then they should pay, as individuals. This could include the top dog. As in any litigation the consumer always pays.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:11 AM   #5
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
I am totally amazed, there is a thriving industry out there providing total emissions delete packages and tuning (the ability for the computer to think all emissions stuff is in place and operating properly) software. On some forums you belong to an elite group if you "delete" and throw more soot to the environment. Total bragging rights.
Not always. In some cases the government is doing it to themselves. In 2014 MN changed laws for all diesel sold to be B-10 at a minimum. Many places went straight to B-20 since that requirement was coming too. We owned a 2009 F-350 that was rated for 5% biodiesel only. I believe it was 2008-2010 diesels that were rated for only 5%, then ratings went up to the 20%. The DPF system in it was not able to handle higher biodiesel mixes. Our mileage went down drastically, we had to replace sensors in the DPF system, and eventually would be replacing the system to the tune of a few thousand dollars, only to have it fail again and again because unless we moved we weren't getting away from the higher biodiesel. The choices were to delete the DPF system, or buy a new truck. We chose to buy a new truck since we did get a real good trade-in amount on that truck, but I do know quite a few other diesel owners who chose to delete the system since they couldn't afford a new truck. It's not always about bragging rights. For some of the quieter, "not so braggy" people out there, it is a choice of what they can afford to try to fix a problem created by the government.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #6
Hansel

After reading the article, they are basing the information (emissions) off their OWN (LAWYERS) machine.

"The firm is uniquely dedicated to this cause, and is the only firm that has purchased and deployed an on-road emission testing machine"

So, who check's their machine?????

I could go on about global warming, but I'm not going too start a debate on the subject. But today's diesel engines are being hurt by the emission's system's that they now have too use, I might have a old truck (2001 7.3L) and ya sometimes it will blow a little smoke, but it has run longer with fewer problems then most of today's new trucks can say.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #7
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
In almost all cases like this, IF IT IS SETTLED, the lawyers get the majority of the award and the "clients" get a few pennies on the dollar.
I'm assuming you mean cases where they're arguing about the semantics of emissions controls. Dieselgate (VW) is a big example of something that "settled" - and consumers ended up thousands. VW was shown to be intentionally and willfully cheating though.

>todays Diesel's are the cleanest they have ever been.

That's also true. If you read the regulatory changes on diesel engines, they've put the screws to diesel emissions over the last 15 years. The result really has been to almost completely kill the small-mid sized diesel market in the US (the Nissan Titan is the only mid-size diesel that I know of not currently involved in some sort of scandal).

The reality of the VW issue is that my 2.0L TDI puts out about as much emissions as my 6.7L Cummins though... So that's not exactly great... Maybe great compared to 15 years ago, but it's cheating.

The 2.0L TDI is a great car. It'll do 80mph at 39mpg all day long. 65mph, and 40+ mpg. 240 ft/lbs of torque. And tow a 2000lb trailer.

Emissions on the big trucks are a different regulatory deal. That market is hardly dead... I can't see it being killed.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat