Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
It would seem so. The problem is, tire industry standards are not about "what ifs". They are about factual, usable, equations. Tire manufacturers submit their findings to the Tire & Rim Association for standardization. The end result is tire inflation tables/charts. Durability is not a strength test. However, it can determine a tire's life expectancy, to some degree. It has a lot to do with brand "X" is better than brand "Y". Word of mouth will have a lot to do with that outcome, if there is a clear one.

Do sidewall inserts make the tire's sidewall stronger? Do taller, more densely packed tread compounds add strength to the carcass? Do more ply cords add physical strength to the carcass? They are all unmeasured variables. Does adding an extra steel belt designed to help prevent carcass penetration damage add load capacity strength? In the end, what we have to work with is on the tire's sidewall information and in the tables/charts provided by the tire industry.

Here is some of the hype about the new Endurance. "The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts with a two-ply nylon reinforcement to stabilize the tread, increasing traction and durability. The Endurance features a polyester cord body to help smooth out the trailer's ride, and a scuff guard is molded into the sidewall to further increase durability by resisting damage from contact with curbs during parking lot maneuvers."

Maybe that will provide a longer lasting tire. But, if it's not properly maintained it will just be another Marathon by another name.
Thanks CW. I'm of the mind that the higher ply rating equals a "stouter" tire IMO. Life is too short to get involved in complicated "stuff". BTW I love your contributions
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:43 AM   #22
zuley

Thank you every body. Lots information here to digest. Lively debate certainly certainly gets the brain function operating. I've got about 6 weeks before I need to decide anything. Keep the conversation going. Unlike the Trump verses Clinton debate I'm enjoying this one. :-)
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #23
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
Thank you every body. Lots information here to digest. Lively debate certainly certainly gets the brain function operating. I've got about 6 weeks before I need to decide anything. Keep the conversation going. Unlike the Trump verses Clinton debate I'm enjoying this one. :-)
I looked at the specs for your 2013 model trailer. Keystone went overboard with extra load capacity for your Original Equipment tires - listed on the specs as ST225/75R15D. My guess is your GAWR axles are rated at 3200# ea. That means the OE tires provide more than 1700# of load capacity reserves at 65 PSI for each tire position. No need to upgrade, just use new tires of the same size that you have confidence in.

You can verify the figures on the trailer's certification label located on the LH forward external section of the trailer. If you're unsure what to look for here is a picture of a certification label & tire placard I took at a RV show. Notice the trailer is larger than yours and has smaller tires.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27431
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #24
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
............ My guess is your GAWR axles are rated at 3200# ea. ..........[/url]
They are 4400# each.

Axles, tires and wheels are all overkill on the 23RB. But I am not complaining.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #25
kksfish

JRTJH.....nice explanation and photo! I gotta check my wheels and see if mine are the same rating
kksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #26
srvnt

Ordered a set of 4 of the new Goodyear Endurance from America's Tire. 5 to 7 days to ship to my local AT, coming from Texas. Should have a new manufacturing date. Made in USA. I'm going to have them balance them also along with new metal stems installed.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote