Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
fdeezle

Soon to be new owner of a 29BHPR

I think I'm going to be the owner of a 29BHPR (what the wife wants the wife gets). I have never owned a TT before so my big worry is I'm biting off more than I can chew. I don't wnat to be "that guy". Any observations, good or bad, from forum members are welcome.

Thanks!
fdeezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and don't be disheartened by taking the plunge into RVing. Your apprehension is understandable and quite normal and once you commit yourself, things have a habit of falling into place quite nicely.

Yes, there will be a significant learning curve as there will be many new things that you will have become familiar with but there are lots of people on here who can help you get over all the little hurdles along the way.

You didn't mention what kind of tow vehicle you have (or don't have) but it is important that the two- the tow vehicle and the travel trailer - are a good match so that you will be able to travel in safety and with confidence.

If you have questions about your tow vehicle, you can always post them in that particular section of the forum.

I would also recommend that you find yourself some good references on RVing so that you can get a basic understanding of the various systems of a typical RV and how each works. You will be spending a fair chunk of your hard-earned money and it is important that you learn about your investment - at least a basic understanding of how things work.

There is a Pre-Delivery Inspection Checklist on the forum for you to read and download if you wish. Before you sign on the dotted line, I would take this list with you and ensure that you spend a lot of time doing a thorough walk-through with the service tech at the dealership or with the previous owner.
To view this checklist, see the sticky in the Keystone Questions section of the forum.

If you have any specific questions, please post them in the most appropriate section of the forum.

Thanks and good luck.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
fdeezle

Soon to be new owner of a 29BHPR

Thanks for the reply! I drive a 2004 F150 (Supercab, 5.4l, 3.73 gear ratio). According to the towing guides my truck should be able to handle our purchase easily. As for the suggestions, count me in. I get very OCD when it comes to even minor purchases. This will be no different as I plan to learn everything there is to learn.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
twstdpear

Welcome! Our Cougar is very similar to the Premier that you're looking at. Hopefully, you'll enjoy it as a much as we've enjoyed ours.

This Forum has tons of information buried in its database. Get to be good friends with the search function and you'll be surprised how much you can discover.

In case you're not already familiar with towing, there's more to calculating what trailer you can tow than just using tow capacity of your TV (tow vehicle) and the dry/shipping weight of the trailer. You may want to run it by this calculator just to be sure you're aware of everything involved: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml.

This site can help bring you up to speed on the basics of the 12V system on your trailer: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

Here's a quick overview of RV plumbing I found. It's a bit different than household plumbing, but there are some similarities: http://www.rv-insight.com/RV-Plumbing.html

Remember to carefully read the manuals that you receive when you take delivery of your trailer. It's boring and tedious, but it's the only way to know how you *your* trailer works, since it's different from everyone else that doesn't own the exact year/make/model as yours. The owners manual is usually pretty generic since it's written to cover all of a manufacturer's models, but you should also receive the manuals for all of the other components that go into making your trailer, too.

If all else fails, free free to ask questions. There's years and years of combined experience here and a huge number of friendly people.
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
fdeezle

Forgot to add to my earlier post that I crunched the numbers at changing gears with a 20% safety margin and it gave me 7000 pounds.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Welcome, with that truck be sure to go over a scale and weight each axle of truck and trailer loaded. And truck by itself. Check the payload rating of truck and tire max load rating. My trailer has a 900 lb hitch weight loaded with camping gear, water. That is when hitched to the truck it added 900lbs onto the hitch.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
GaryWT

Congrats and welcome. The Premier is a nice trailer, we lover our 31BHPR. We tow with a 150 as well and all is fine. Enjoy.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #8
jdssls

Newbe Bullet Crossfire

Hello everyone. I am taking delivery of a Bullet Crossfire next week. This will be my third RV (not counting the 2 VW vans I had years ago.
jdssls is offline   Reply With Quote