Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
tommy_z

For those who run a generator in truck bed

I've read about some people doing this while traveling, to keep power to their trailer for the AC. I like the concept.

Let's say you have a reasonably sized, reasonably quiet unit, like a Champion 3100W Inverter type.

Just how loud is it in the bed? I would imagine the noise is amplified significantly and would vibrate the bed a lot.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
bitten

For those who run a generator in truck bed

I was just running my champion 3500 inverter generator in the bed of the truck. I was sitting in the closed truck working on the radio and just barely tell it was running just a few feet away. Very little vibration and you can have a conversation next to it while it is running.
bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
fredetteb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_z View Post
I've read about some people doing this while traveling, to keep power to their trailer for the AC. I like the concept.

Let's say you have a reasonably sized, reasonably quiet unit, like a Champion 3100W Inverter type.

Just how loud is it in the bed? I would imagine the noise is amplified significantly and would vibrate the bed a lot.
We went to Texas about 2 years ago, and dry camped on the beach. We had my 4k genny in the bed of the truck to power the a/c etc. The noise and vibration were not an issue, but after about 10 min we smelled hot metal and plastic. The exhaust of the generator had heated the side of the tuck bed enough to start softening the paint on the fender. Luckily no permanent damage, but if you decide to keep your generator in the bed, be CERTAIN the exhaust is vented upwards or to a clear space to the back and not onto the side of your truck bed.
Tonneau cover. BullyDog GT. High Idle Mod.
B&W Turnoverball™ with a Companion 5th Wheel Hitch.
2018 Keystone Montana High Country 381TH.
fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:28 AM   #4
Pull Toy

I'd be seriously cautious about CO2 venting and "Hot chassis" issues. When your Gen set is on the ground it's self grounding. In the bed of a truck, with rubber tires, at the very least, I'd drop a heavy steel chain to the ground, clamped to the chassis of the gen-set, or even better a ground rod..

I'd also check for a "hot chassis" with a volt meter from the truck bed to the actual ground.

Happy camping!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:17 PM   #5
bobbecky

Carbon dioxide is not a problem, maybe you mean carbon monoxide, (CO), but that is not any more of a problem than it is with a generator on the ground. And, for safety, just having a generator sitting on the ground is not a sufficient ground for protection, the only way would be the driven ground rod with a large enough wire to the ground terminal on the generator, which usually is not connected to the frame of a generator.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:22 AM   #6
mfifield01

Was the hot exhaust really close to the side of the truck?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2016, 02:47 AM   #7
Larry1013

I modified the exhaust on my generator so that I could alleviate this problem.

I made a new plate for the muffler exit to attach with a 3/4 black iron pipe nipple so I could attach a 90* elbow to it. This allow the exhaust to be direct upward and out of the truck bed. I added a farm tractor style exhaust cap that closes when generator is off to prevent rain from getting into the muffler.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1013 View Post
I modified the exhaust on my generator so that I could alleviate this problem.

I made a new plate for the muffler exit to attach with a 3/4 black iron pipe nipple so I could attach a 90* elbow to it. This allow the exhaust to be direct upward and out of the truck bed. I added a farm tractor style exhaust cap that closes when generator is off to prevent rain from getting into the muffler.
A lightweight "farm tractor style exhaust cap", I would hope, to alleviate back pressure and the gen running hot. A hot day, high elevation and a load while the gen is sitting in the sun surrounded by a black lined pickup bed could be an issue one would think. I like to put my gen in the shade when available.

Just a thought...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #9
Larry1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
A lightweight "farm tractor style exhaust cap", I would hope, to alleviate back pressure and the gen running hot. A hot day, high elevation and a load while the gen is sitting in the sun surrounded by a black lined pickup bed could be an issue one would think. I like to put my gen in the shade when available.

Just a thought...
It is a light weight. Opens very easy. If need be, I can remove it and screw on a 3/4" npt black iron pipe cap.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:36 AM   #10
bdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
I'd be seriously cautious about CO2 venting and "Hot chassis" issues. When your Gen set is on the ground it's self grounding. In the bed of a truck, with rubber tires, at the very least, I'd drop a heavy steel chain to the ground, clamped to the chassis of the gen-set, or even better a ground rod..

I'd also check for a "hot chassis" with a volt meter from the truck bed to the actual ground.

Happy camping!
If you Google this you will get a lot of confusing info. Basically grounding your portable generator can cause more of a hazard than not grounding it. If ungrounded, touching a hot wire in your camper while standing on the ground causes no problems because there is no ground path back to the generator. Kind of like how birds can roost on power lines. If the generator is connected to earth ground then of course this would be a problem.

The point is that I could find no clear answer about grounding a portable generator in an RV application. I have run a Honda EU3000 in the back of my truck for 14 years and over 100,000 camping miles with no problem and have never connected it to earth ground.

http://www.bobbystuff.com/rv/78/hond...er-proof-cover

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #11
Desert185

Good stuff, Bobby!
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #12
mfifield01

Anyone have CO issues if you leave the truck hitched? I saw a post on rv.net that mentioned a CO detector would go off after an hour.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
jje1960

Generator in tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaniel View Post
If you Google this you will get a lot of confusing info. Basically grounding your portable generator can cause more of a hazard than not grounding it. If ungrounded, touching a hot wire in your camper while standing on the ground causes no problems because there is no ground path back to the generator. Kind of like how birds can roost on power lines. If the generator is connected to earth ground then of course this would be a problem.

The point is that I could find no clear answer about grounding a portable generator in an RV application. I have run a Honda EU3000 in the back of my truck for 14 years and over 100,000 camping miles with no problem and have never connected it to earth ground.

http://www.bobbystuff.com/rv/78/hond...er-proof-cover

Bobby
X2, never had any issues with running in TV, never felt it necessary to drive a 6' post in any Walmart parking lots over the years.... Just kidding.... If an alarm went off (never has) while running genset in the truck bed... I'd take that as what the FBI call a clue and turn it off. Last trip was our first with the new battery bank and inverter, was awesome not having to start the genset to use 120V power in an evening-overnight stop on the way to the beach!!!!!
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #14
Stim Racing Trailer

I had 2 Honda 3000ie in the back of my Ram till last fall to power my 2010 Puma toy hauler. The few times I ran them when towing, I could not hear or feel them running over the stock Cummins.
Stim Racing Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote