Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
rwmurphy15

Emergency Weather Issues

In the last 2 years we have learned to use out TT doing a lot of short trips. Starting next year when we retire we will be doing the long trips 1-3 months. My question is with all the bad weather issues across the U.S. Has anyone ever got caught up in any emergence situations. Like tornadoes, forest fires, high winds say like crossing Wyoming. Flooding or just plane serious situations.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The only trouble we ran into was: I think it was '91, we were forced to spend an extra week in the Florida Keys because the interstates in the North-east were closed due to heavy snow and ice. It was absolutely terrible. My adult beverage bill was astronomical.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
GaryWT

We have camped in hurricaines but generally by the time they get to New England they are more of a bad wind storm. Last one was a couple years ago, we actually left the campground do to all the trees and headed home the night before we were leaving anyway. Got home and almost lost the trailer in the yard to a falling tree.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

: Where to start. We are still working our way north after spending the last couple months in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, so just this trip alone Flooding, High Winds, heavy rains, tornado shelters, Tornado Warnings, and yes Alligators and snakes in the RV parks along with Flooding.

You call around to different sites to check status and hear comments like " NOT BAD HERE only roofs blown off a couple buildings or A little flooding about four feet and had to close a few sites .... WE ARE GOOD COME ON IN

Have to admit we meet some great people in that area. First experience with an underground Tornado Shelter, alligators, etc.

This stuff is fun!!!
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
instymp

Yes, thousands. so plan your trip, follow the weather reports & have a great time!! Many trips & outings have been cancelled because people watch weather channels than should have. Weather happens.
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
koko

March 2014 we were coming home from New Mexico to Wyoming. We knew that there were to be some 30 mph strong winds. By the time we reached Moab, UT we found that there had been some gusts much stronger than 30 mph and we had felt them. Very scary and dangerous. The tumbleweed was quite a sight. In retrospect, as soon as the wind increased so much, we should have pulled over in a field and spent the night. Sometimes you get trapped without warning no matter what the weatherman says.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
GT2400BH

We picked up this portable weather alert radio for some extra piece of mind.

Ambient Weather WR-091 Rechargeable Emergency Pocket AM/FM/WB Weather Alert Radio with Digital Tuner, Flashlight, Headphone Jack, AC Adaptor

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYI8GTQ..._Q4zLvbQS7X1P8
Old 07-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2400BH View Post
We picked up this portable weather alert radio for some extra piece of mind.

Ambient Weather WR-091 Rechargeable Emergency Pocket AM/FM/WB Weather Alert Radio with Digital Tuner, Flashlight, Headphone Jack, AC Adaptor

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYI8GTQ..._Q4zLvbQS7X1P8
X2, have the NOAA radio. Always be aware of the county you are in, many a time it is on your camp site brochure if in a campsite. Alerts are given by county
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
LuvsPalmTrees

When we had our pop-up we were in 2 tornado's and a horrible rain storm. We have been in some really bad weather but you just have to be aware of your surroundings and make sure you know where your shelters are. We actually had the rangers come through last year to tell everyone to bring in anything that could blow around storms are coming. I have never had them do that. I really want a weather radio - I think I will ask for it for my birthday.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

As has been said above, watch what is going on. A trailer is pretty stable. I don't mind pulling in wind 40-45mph. Don't want to but will if I have to. I live in W TX and wind is just part of the equation. Go slow.

We've encountered various scenarios of bad weather; again know what's going on. We've stayed extra days at locations to dodge bad storms. That's something I will do religiously in the future. Just recently, during all the bad storms in NE TX, LA etc. made the decision to go ahead and move from Gulfport, MS to Natchitoches, LA. It said possible heavy rain.....they were very right. Between Gulfport and Baton Rouge you couldn't see for the rain. We were on the highway and not much you could do but stay in the line and keep moving. At Baton Rouge I stopped to fill up. When I got out I saw water gushing out of the front of the trailer; the rain being blown from the road while traveling had completely pulled the coroplast off the front of the trailer and it was just hanging down and all the water was being funneled into the underbelly. Not much we could do so we continued on praying for the rain to stop....and it did. Now I'm waiting to see how we are going to get the coroplast repaired/replaced.......and I'm not heading out into a rainstorm again. I've never had that happen before and if the underbelly is that fragile I'm driving in clear weather!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #11
mikey98e

We've been in a couple of hurricanes in New England. One in a pop-up the other in our travel trailer. All we did was go to the main recreation room at the campground during the height of the storms. We were at the same campground for both storms. No big deal other than the campground loosing power and therefore water for several days.
-mike
mikey98e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:08 AM   #12
jkohler70

Know what they call towing a mobile home through the Midwest?

Trolling for tornadoes.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
86GT2r

X3 on the NOAA weather radio. I keep one in the trailer. Not only is it useful for bad weather alerts, it also lets you know the forecast.
---------------------
86GT2r is offline   Reply With Quote