Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
lachristopher

Need a driver...

to pull our 31.5' Keystone Cougar Travel Trailer from Eugene, Oregon to Tell City, IN. My husband has become disabled and our truck collapsed on us. I couldn't have driven it myself all the way anyway. Am looking into professional transport companies but just can't afford them. We are here without any family or support network and need to get to Indiana where our kids are. We will be driving out there ourselves and we will need 4-5 days since we need to stop for dialysis. Hoping to leave around 9/29 or 9/30. Have some flexibility on the outside end but want to make the trip before it snows.

If you have had a good amount of experience pulling a bigger unit. have the equipment to do so and want to make some money, please reply. Thanks very much!
lachristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
GaryWT

Sorry to hear about your health and other issues, best of luck. By professionals what do you mean? I would think if you talk to a locals dealer they could hook you up with a transporter. Most deliver from Indiana and then travel back to pick up another trailer to deliver. Since they have to go to Indiana anyway, I would think it could be reasonable. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Gary. RV Transport drivers are bonded, insured and usually tow trailers away from Indiana to dealerships all over their "territory" and then drive back to Indiana empty. Towing an RV back to Indiana would be a great opportunity for one of these drivers.

I'd suggest you check with an RV dealership and talk to their sales manager. He should know who to contact at the "parent transport company" to discuss the details. I wouldn't think the dealership would get involved, but they can give you contact information to the companies who might be able to help you.

Since this is not a "Keystone related issue" you really aren't "restricted" to Keystone dealers. Most any RV dealership should be able to get you in touch with an RV transporter.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
lachristopher

Great advice, gentlemen! Thank you for pointing out that possible solution. I will be in touch with them first thing tomorrow. Again, sure appreciate your guidance.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
denverpilot

Good advice, and sorry to hear about your husband. Here's hoping he feels better, soon.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
lachristopher

Thanks to each of you for your wishing well thoughts. We appreciate them very much!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:08 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes.
Good luck in your search, but I'm afraid you're going to find that your location is going to make it difficult. Most RVs are built in Indiana and transport drivers do ship all over from there and are looking for backhauls......only problem, "most" RVs are built in Indiana, the rest are pretty much built in Oregon so the plants there do much of the shipping west of the rockies so you will have trouble finding a transport driver on that side going back to Indiana. Plan on paying $1.50-2.00 per mile. Wish I lived closer, I'd be happy to help you out....

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:21 AM   #8
byrdr1

2276 miles for this trip, so if you are charged up to $2 a mile you can see the cost..
tell your husband. Get well soon..
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:22 AM   #9
hankaye

lachristopher, Howdy;

Go with a Pro, as was stated earlier, they have the specific insurances and
are bonded. Besides, if you were to negotiate a 'deal' with an individual, you
would need to consider paying for the driver's fuel/gas to your trailer, then
to In., then for them to drive home. Perhaps their meals and if you don't want
them sleeping in your RV then a Motel, or the Campground fees enroute and
their Motel and food on the way back to their Home ... $1.50 or $2.00 per mile
looks like a bargain when you consider everything involved...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
Camping Gator

I am sorry your husband is ill. Will you be planning on using your trailer again? If his health precludes this, and understanding that you are not capable to tow this yourself (even if you get a new tow vehicle), it might be better for you to sell it in Oregon. That way you would not have the added expense of having it transported, just to sell it later. Just something to consider.
Camping Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Onthemove

Good luck on finding someone to move the trailer. I drove through the trailer park the other day and noticed that you were still there. I was going to stop by but was in a hurry. What a mess with the road construction in front of park. Let me know if you need help locally. I am going to Illinois next summer but I'll be pulling my own Cougar. You might want to sell it here in Eugene and buy another trailer when you get back to Indiana. Just a though. Take care….

2012 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7 - V8
2012 Keystone Cougar 25RLSWE - 30'
Onthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #12
crash

I agree it maybe better to sell it out there and if you are still able to camper after your trip back to Ill. you can always get another camper.Sorry for your family illness hope your husband gets better,Take care and our prayers are with you.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote