Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Ivy

Power Protection

Is there any need to use a surge protector/voltage regulator to protect my camper when I plug up? If so what do you recommend? I would hate for everything to get fried!
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
bsmith0404

I camped for years without an issue, but with more and more electronics on the newer RVs and the cost of repairs I finally decided it was time to quit crossing my fingers and hoping nothing happened. I had the inline surge protector hard wired in, cost me $500. Expensive yes, but will pay for itself if it is ever needed just once. I call it piece of mind.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
Is there any need to use a surge protector/voltage regulator to protect my camper when I plug up? If so what do you recommend? I would hate for everything to get fried!
Ivy try a search on this site (power surge protector) different types,brands and prices.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
GaryWT

There are a lot who use it, I have not in 24 years. Don't have it at home either. Just one of those thing some people do and some don't. If I was ever to look into it it would just be a plug in type.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:23 AM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I do not have a surge-guard of any time - at home or in the RV.

However, when camping I do check the park outlet with a voltmeter prior to plugging in.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #6
MIKEPATC

First Mod

Very first Mod I did to my TT. Progressive Industries EMS Hardwired in... http://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Ene...p/emshw30c.htm . But any form of EMS is better than none ... just my opinion.

Very inexpensive form of insurance. I have had a power converter go bad because of bad campground power.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
Sparky

I was going to invest in the built in protector made by Surge Guard. I the read carefully my manual for the WAFO power converter. It appears it has the same protection built in. HI voltage, low voltage, hot ground, polarity, etc.I am going to call WAFO to talk to a tech to make sure. Anyone out there know for sure?
Pull Rite Hitch
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
wstyng

I didn't have one for first year of RV'ing. But after staying at a nice campground where the circuit breaker at the plug in had to jiggled to get it to work I installed the hardwired unit from Progressive. I had looked into the plug-in units but after reading this forum and some cautions about the ease of losing the power protector, I went with the hardwired unit. I hope it never is needed but glad I have it.
wstyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
RdRmr

X 2 on the 30 Amp hard wire Progressive unit, glad I had it a few weeks ago. Pulled into an (established-older) campground, picked a spot and started to hook up. Plugged in and the DW comes out and says we have no power. Hmmm I say, I look at the unit and it is giving an E1 code. Grab my tester and head for the pedestal. Yep, the hot and neutral are reversed. Bummer, notified the office and moved to another site. As far as I know that was the only pedestal in the entire campground that had an issue. Money well spent for all it does. It's made here in the ole USA.
Happy Campin....

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #10
Bombfixer

I consider a Surge Protector a critical piece of equipment. Given the cost of fried electronics,, to me it just makes sense. Twice my Progressive System has helped me out. Once I plugged into a pedestal and found that one of the 110 lines was 102v the other was 125v. I notified the office and hooked up to the 30 amp service instead. The other time, the system went offline during a thunderstorm that caused damage to at least 12 other units electrical systems. Those two instances more than paid for the cost of the Surge Protector.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
Ivy

Thank you

Great information! We got at in-line surge protector and it has already saved us twice.
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote