Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #21
Western Traveler

As a law abiding citizen with proper CCW Permit (and anyone else).
If being pulled over immediately turn your radio off, roll your window down and do NOT bend down! As the officer(s) approach your vehicle have both your hands on the steering wheel and KEEP them there (it is typical for a two man unit to have the officer on the passenger side approach in the dark) you do not want your movements to be misconstrued. Immediately tell the officer at the window when he approaches that you are licensed to carry, where it is located and wait for their directions. Everyone involved will be happier for it and nobody will get shot reaching for their wallet. Most veteran LE understand your concerns when traveling.
That said most of my experiences are geographically on the left side of the country.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Old 04-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

In Michigan, a part of the requirement for a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) is to have a specific number of classroom and range training hours. The classroom component also includes a couple of hours with an attorney to discuss the legal aspects of a CPL.

The advice just given by Western Traveler is the same advice given by attorneys in all the CPL classes I've attended.

Essentially, in most situations, a LEO approaches a vehicle stop with an "UNKNOWN" behind the wheel. In Michigan, when he "runs your license plate number, the databank tells him that the owner of that vehicle has a CPL. So when he walks up to your window he already knows your license status but not your armed status. Once you inform him that you're carrying or not, it removes the "unknown component" and depending on the circumstances, lets him know that you've been screened not to be a felon, have no past record with law enforcement (criminal history) and that you're "considered by the licensing board" to be "one of the good guys".

While that won't automatically give him reason to no longer be concerned, at least all the information about any firearms in the car is "on the table" so to speak and he can conduct his reason for the stop with more knowledge of the situation.

These days, any LEO has reason to be concerned and even "jittery" about what he might face when he walks up to your truck. Respect that he probably has a family and would like to have supper with them that evening, Walking up to your vehicle is an "unknown" that might change whether he goes home to his family or to the morgue. Who could find fault with his caution and concern.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #23
Bob Landry

I don't think anyone has a problem with a cop exercising caution on a stop, and he probably has every right to expect the worse unless proven otherwise. I think the problem most people have is the way some of them do it. What I do have a problem with is that once it's determined that I am not threat, I would like to be treated with the same civility and respect that he doesn't expect, but demands. The fact that a guy is having a bad day or had a fight with DW that morning isn't my problem. It's perfectly fine for him to give you an attitude, but not the other way around. These guys get so used to the public kissing their butts for eight hours a day, it's become an expectation and it carries over into every contact they have, including those in personal life. Just because the guy graduated from some country boy police academy and issued a gun, a badge, and a ticket book, doesn't even begin to qualify him for God status. Throw into all of that, the speed traps, illegal car searches, firearm confiscations, evidence throw downs and women being body-cavity searched on the side of the road, and you can see why everyone doesn't have a glowing respect for these guys. Fortunately, I haven't suffered abuse by the boys in blue, but I literally hold my breath if I'm stopped just to make it quick so they will just go away. If I ever do get put in a situation involving any of the above scenarios, you can bet I'll lawyer up in a hurry and go for the gold. I don't give them any BS and I certainly don't intend to put up with any either.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #24
Ken / Claudia

Here if a cop is doing his job right. He has the plate, location, etc radioed in and dispatch informs him of the drivers and vehicle information before any contact has been made. One of those is if the R/O of the vehicle is a CCW holder and if it's valid or not. I feel somewhat safe hearing valid holder of a CCW permit. It is all the others that want or could do harm to me that concerns me most and those are most of the contacts or stops. How many criminals had guns or other weapons that I never know about because they decided not to fight and were not arrested. To be a cop you just need to be as careful as possible and learn how to read people intents, and hope your right. When your wrong bad things happen fast. And Bob I have read about some of that stuff you talk about, those cops cost the deptments BIG money, who won't hire a lawyer if in one of those situtions. I never have a bad day regarding contacts,stops,arrests(at the office yes, not in public) just do my job and treat all as I polite as I can, it is all about training and job expertise.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #25
gearhead

So....I always wanted to tour Canada. Has anyone crossed the border with the typical 38 snubby or 1911 45ACP? I have looked at the US Embassy website and it doesn't look promising. I don't think an "assault looking" shotgun would be approved either.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/travelin...to-canada.html
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 04-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #26
Festus2
Site Team

The link that you provided should give you a pretty good idea of what the regulations are if you plan on bringing a gun(s) into Canada. As noted, there are 3 classifications: non-restricted, restricted and prohibited.

If you are serious about bring a handgun or shotgun or whatever into Canada, you need to check very carefully what type of gun(s) is allowed and what permits and other documents you require.

I can tell you about various unpleasant incidents involving American tourists who didn't bother to check beforehand, didn't declare them at the border and had no paperwork. One recent case involved 3 elderly folks who entered (and fell into the all of the above), they were fined $25000, spent several days in jail, and had all of their guns confiscated and not returned. Their reason for bringing them? Wild animals roaming freely everywhere........ They weren't trying to "sneak" them in ..... just totally ignorant of the rules.

Many think that, because they can own, wear, pack or transport certain types of guns "back home", they thought our rules would be the same. They are quite different and far, far more restrictive. Others are concerned about being attacked by grizzlies and other wild animals while others are just concerned about their own safety.

You must have an acceptable reason why you are bringing weapons across the border - the link explains what they are -your own personal safety is not acceptable unless you are going into the north where protection against wild animals is ok.

Bottom line --- do your homework, know the rules, and don't try to hide or conceal anything from the Canadian border folks. They, like many of their American counterparts, have little sense of ha-ha and can make life very miserable for you.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #27
gearhead

Festus, I looked over the website pretty good and could find no "sure" way to travel in Canada with protection.

Oh...and I ain't Billy.
Billy Joe Shaver is a semi-famous American singer that was charged with assault (with a gun) in Waco TX and acquitted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Joe_Shaver

the song for your entertainment:
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 04-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #28
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Festus, I looked over the website pretty good and could find no "sure" way to travel in Canada with protection.

Oh...and I ain't Billy.
Billy Joe Shaver is a semi-famous American singer that was charged with assault (with a gun) in Waco TX and acquitted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Joe_Shaver

the song for your entertainment:
Why would you want or need to carry protection in Canada? We don't have the need to carry weapons in our country nor should you!
Being pulled over here by the R.C.M.P with a concealed weapon is a pretty much guaranteed bullet through your head.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #29
KJcachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Why would you want or need to carry protection in Canada? We don't have the need to carry weapons in our country nor should you!

Being pulled over here by the R.C.M.P with a concealed weapon is a pretty much guaranteed bullet through your head.

You must be content to blindly trust your government.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #30
Festus2
Site Team

Steve/KJcachers
Let's not get into this debate/discussion about the pros and cons of having the right or not having the right to possess, carry or transport guns. The thread is about the laws and regulations that exist concerning the transportation of guns in an RV from state to state.

Americans have their laws and rights and we have ours. They are different. So let's leave it at that and focus on the thread topic.

Steve - Please think about your comment about "being pulled over here by the RCMP with a concealed weapon is pretty much guaranteed bullet through your head". I'm trying to think of an appropriate response but quite frankly, you've left me at a loss for words.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #31
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
You must be content to blindly trust your government.
Yes and it works very well for us as we're a peaceful country. I couldn't imagine living in a country where I needed to carry a gun with me as I can't trust those around me not even my neighbors.
Anyways carry on with you're peaceful conversation
Old 04-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #32
Festus2
Site Team

Thread is closed

I have tried at least twice to steer this thread away from becoming a political discussion about guns but it seems that it just can't be avoided by some. Consequently, the thread is being closed.

Thank you to those who took part in the discussion and focused on the topic.
Closed Thread