Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
AlbertaRvMan

New member looking to buy TT

Hello,

I'm from Fort McMurray Alberta.

My tow vehicle is a Yukon XL 2500 series. I believe this has a tow package.

I looking for a travel trailer, preferably with bunks for two kids, wife, dog and I and guest or two.

Was considering Sprinter, premier, Larado, outback xlite.

So many choices, am getting confused....

I'm not sure what the difference between the series is.

An outdoor kitchen would be nice and exterior door to the bathroom.

Any advice?

Thanks.
AlbertaRvMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
GaryWT

Welcome to the forum, many floor plans are similar amount the brands but weights, tank size and things like that are different. Take a look at the Premier 31bhpr, that is what we have and we love it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

If you visit the Keystone website and look under the TT section, you'll see that there are 3 "classes" of TT's -- Standard, Select and Premium/Luxury. In most cases, there is little , if any, difference in the basic construction of one to another and the appliances may also be similar. The Select and Premium/Luxury models offer a few more "bells and whistles" and "creature comfort" items --- counter tops, chairs and upholstery, etc.

First, you need to find an RV that is a good match - towing wise - for your tow vehicle. Once you have determined what your TV is capable of safely towing, then look for a unit that falls within the weight limits and towing capacity of your TV. After this is determined, look for a floor plan that meets your needs. This is a very personal decision - what one person likes, another dislikes.

You have to stay within the limitations of your TV. You may like a certain model and floor plan but it might be unsuitable for you to tow safely.

If you live in an area where you can visit an RV dealership and go through some of these units, that will give you a better idea of what features you like or dislike.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
AlbertaRvMan

Safe to weight

Thanks for the great advice and thorough response!

I believe my TV can tow 9600 lbs. with that said what is considered a safe weight?

I imagine we would typically bring bicycles, coolers with snacks, luggage, I don't know maybe a few hundred pounds in the TV

If the travel trailer weight + max carrying capacity is < 9600, is this considered safe? I'm not sure how or if the hitch weight factors in.

I was considering the 31sqb and 32rbk, I also noticed these are available in the cougar half ton series (I think they append WE to the model)

Thank you for your help.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
AlbertaRvMan

Sweet model

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Welcome to the forum, many floor plans are similar amount the brands but weights, tank size and things like that are different. Take a look at the Premier 31bhpr, that is what we have and we love it.
Hi GaryWT

That premier model looks sweet! I like the layout and the weight looks to be low at 6457 lbs.

That layout really appeals to me. Does this unit have an external shower? Mind if I ask what you paid, extra options to consider, external speakers?

Do you find your feet hit / kick the separating wall?

Thank you!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
GaryWT

Hi, it has a outdoor shower and outside speakers. I am 6 feet tall and don't have an issue with the bed. This model was around 27k at the shows this year but I have heard of some getting it cheaper by a grand or so.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
danjentravels

One tip I learned and a valuable one is depending on what type of camping you will be doing. If you are resort or off the beaten path . It is best to have a wood framed tt if off the beaten path due to stresses at key points. The alum frames are welded at the joints and will crack with the stress and wood has better flex. I learned this the hard way and have since upgraded and resorting it now.
danjentravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Thanks for the great advice and thorough response!

I believe my TV can tow 9600 lbs. with that said what is considered a safe weight?

I imagine we would typically bring bicycles, coolers with snacks, luggage, I don't know maybe a few hundred pounds in the TV

If the travel trailer weight + max carrying capacity is < 9600, is this considered safe? I'm not sure how or if the hitch weight factors in.

I was considering the 31sqb and 32rbk, I also noticed these are available in the cougar half ton series (I think they append WE to the model)

Thank you for your help.
Your vehicle may or may not be able to tow 9600 lbs regardless of the rating. Invariably SUV's suffer from a lack of payload that will further limit what can be actually towed. Check your payload rating on the door jamb sticker and let us know what that is. Keep in mind that tongue weight will equal approx. 13% of actual trailer weight, not the dry weight and can quickly use up all available payload and leave nothing for passengers and gear etc. The receiver will also have maximum limits that you will need to know. Check the receiver itself for this information and let us know what that is. Realistically you will be able to tow something less than the published 9600 lbs. The TW of 9600 lbs would be 1248 lbs and I doubt seriously if your receiver will accommodate that or your payload can meet that kind of demand and still allow for passenger loading. Get some more info and we can decipher what you can safely tow.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #9
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
If you visit the Keystone website and look under the TT section, you'll see that there are 3 "classes" of TT's -- Standard, Select and Premium. In most cases, there is little , if any, difference in the basic construction of one to another and the appliances may also be similar. The Select and Premium models offer a few more "bells and whistles" and "creature comfort" items --- counter tops, chairs and upholstery, etc.
Interesting... I've never navigated the Keystone website in that manner. Seems curious that the only "premium" travel trailers are toy haulers.?.?
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
ed cobos

hello - interesting what you wrote about wood vs, aluminum frames. i have a keystone hideout and always wondered about the differences in the frames. could you explain more about the "resorting" with the wood and the stress. i was told that the weld on alum. can separate quicker, but that the wood tends to soften up.
thanks
ed cobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperMN View Post
Interesting... I've never navigated the Keystone website in that manner. Seems curious that the only "premium" travel trailers are toy haulers.?.?
Yes, it appears that way. You may also have noticed that there are far more "Select" models available than either the basic, standard ones or the "premium/select" models. I would guess that the majority of sales come from this middle or "Select" group as that would probably be where the demand is greatest.