Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
ExtremeRv'ing

Need your opinions!

Hi there!

My name is Tabetha and I was hoping I could ask you ALL a quick question for some feedback. My husband, Ron, and I have recently joined the "full timer" arena as of 2012 with out Keystone Hideout travel trailer. Needless to say, we love it! But folks think we're a bit crazy because we tend to go to places others in the RV world choose not to. Examples; Tempe, AZ in August when it's 120 degrees; Bellingham, MA over the winter in sub zero temps; or the sands of Pismo Beach, CA having dinner while the tide rolls in under the chassis!

The question is, does anyone really care about this? Is there an interest out there in the RV community to learn about the in's & out's of "extreme rv'ing"? Are there other full timers that do this too? Do you all travel together or go to extreme weather places at the same time? I mean, every location I just mentioned there were all sorts of others there too, but how common is this?

I thank you very much for any feedback or opinions that can be offered and we look forward to hearing from you!

Tabetha & Ron
ExtremeRv'ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

Your asking another crazy person if your crazy? Hum. We do not full time yet. But we did spend Christmas and new years in Quebec city-20f ish the whole time. we are not a big fan of extream heat!. And i really don't want salt water bathing the underside of my camper! The great news is you are having fun! and that is what is so great about this life style! as long as you are safe and happy what more can you ask for? we are looking forward to the days we can go full time. but our jobs do not allow that yet. so please share your adventures no one here will put you down for what you like and Barney
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeRv'ing View Post
! But folks think we're a bit crazy because we tend to go to places others in the RV world choose not to like the sands of Pismo Beach, CA having dinner while the tide rolls in under the chassis!

The question is, does anyone really care about this? Is there an interest out there in the RV community to learn about the in's & out's of "extreme rv'ing"? Are there other full timers that do this too? Do you all travel together or go to extreme weather places at the same time? I mean, every location I just mentioned there were all sorts of others there too, but how common is this?
Hello and to the forum. People are free to choose where and when they go camping. If you want to camp in "extreme" weather conditions like sub-zero or scorching temperatures that's your choice. It's not something I would do nor do I have any interest in learning about "extreme RVing" so in that sense I really don't care one way or another what you do.

The three camping experiences that you described in your post are, IMO, certainly "different" and I wouldn't describe them as being "common". If, for example, I saw your rig parked on the sands of Pismo Beach and the tide is "rolling in under your chassis" while you are having dinner, I would probably ask myself, "Who are those people? Who would do something "crazy" like that?" (No offense intended!!)

I don't mean to make fun of the example you gave but you did ask for our opinions and thoughts about your extreme RVing lifestyle.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Mark TC

Welcome and happy camping. The answer to your question is DO WHAT YOU LIKE AND LIKE WHAT YOU DO. Life is Good do what makes YOU happy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
FullTimer

Well that's the good thing about campers, people are free to go where ever and do whatever they want lol. Our kids think we're crazy for living in one in the first place, much less in the winter. But then again, we're the ones that have to call them and tell them, "you will have an ice storm tomorrow night", or "Heavy snow coming by Friday". So I'm not sure who the crazy ones are lol. Guess we can be counted in there as well lol.
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
Yeti

Seems like that would be awesome. As we r full timers in Alberta we get the extreme cold but sitting on the beach would totally awesome. Good luck and happy travels
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
michol02

We camp in the rain...heat...cold. It don't matter to us. We're not full timers, but we spend a lot of time in the camper. We even did Thanksgiving at a local campground(had the same crowd, but mess was easier to clean up). We keep the camper loaded and plugged in at the house, so when we get the urge, which is often, we just hook up and go. We don't even let work get in the way, we just camp within an hour of work, and I commute. We have relatives that join us with their rvs often. So, if camping in extreme conditions is crazy, then call us loony. LOL
Happy camping ExtremeRv'ing

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
theeyres

We full-timed for several years and never did what you did! We followed the sun. No, we did not go in groups, we went where we wanted to go but after living in the cold, cold Eastern Oregon, we wanted comfortable weather not extreme. So we went to Southern US in winter, Northern in Summer. But the fun of full-time is to go where you want when you want. Those wheels under your Hideout lets you do what you want. Enjoy the lifestyle and don't worry about what others do!

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
Sydvero

Extreme rving

Hey for what it's worth we are pretty much game for anything. Camping in heat or cold no problem but I would recommend if you want to keep that camper more than a couple of years you stay out of that saltwater. We live about 20 miles from the coast in southeast Texas and believe me thin cheap metal with minimal paint and saltwater don't mix. Anyway if you're having fun go for it!
Sydvero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
chartrand

Yep, it's official, you and Ron are Crazy....<grin>...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
Jca3

Extreme RVing? Not for us. My husband is a worrier, always checking the battery when dry camping, pulling in the awning if there is a breath of wind. Phobic about turning off the pump in case it somehow starts pumping water on its' own. Any problem that might come up, if he's read about it - he worries about it. Forever checking the tires when pulling - I could go on.

So not for us, but you guys have a good time. It's just great to be able to pull out and move on down the road if you don't like where you end up or the neighbors that parked right next to you.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
denverpilot

I think it would be fun to read about, but I'm more into being comfortable these days. If I wanted to be uncomfortable I'd just use the tent and a backpack.

But the words about doing what's fun for you are absolutely right. If you feel like documenting and sharing along the journey, do that too!

If you ever decide to get really extreme, you're probably going to have to get the RV from EarthRoamer.com. Bring a very large wallet! (Bill, the company founder, used to be a neighbor and we watched him spend months on the prototypes.)
Old 01-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #13
x96mnn

I am not a full timer but like to start our season and extend our season as long as possible. This does mean camping when their is snow coming down at times in the odd storm but the camper is away before the salt flies.

As for the camping while waves roll in under a camper, I would absolutely love to do that sometime!! Think what you describe would be maybe the ultimate camping experience if was knew I would not float away or water rise a little above the main lines. Reason why I have not, I would not have the patients to do the needed cleaning and maintenance that most likely followed your night to make sure things like frame, hubs and axels do not suffer early failure because of it. Lot of people read this I am sure think it would do major harm but just camping buy the salt water puts a fair bit of salt into everything and needs maintenance.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote