Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
GRAINS314

Refrigerator on Solar

Howdy all,

We're in a 2021 Cougar 316RLS that came with a single, roof mounted solar panel and 2000 Watt inverter. We also have a 2-way (Gas/Electric) refrigerator.

My question is... have you been able to run your fridge on electric utilizing the single solar panel and inverter effectively while traveling on the road? It appears that I do have power to the fridge from the inverter - so I know that works at least.

But in your experience, was the solar panel adequate to make the power?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 03-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAINS314 View Post
Howdy all,

We're in a 2021 Cougar 316RLS that came with a single, roof mounted solar panel and 2000 Watt inverter. We also have a 2-way (Gas/Electric) refrigerator.

My question is... have you been able to run your fridge on electric utilizing the single solar panel and inverter effectively while traveling on the road? It appears that I do have power to the fridge from the inverter - so I know that works at least.

But in your experience, was the solar panel adequate to make the power?

Thanks,

Greg
While towing the battery for the inverter will charge from the tow vehicle.
I have no problem running my residential Samsung off my 1000 watt inverter.. I do not have the solar hooked up.. I have no need of it.. no boondocking ever or at least not on purpose..
Old 03-08-2021, 10:32 PM   #3
GRAINS314

I suspected this was the case. Not sure why I didn't give it a try earlier.

Thank you for the reply!
Old 03-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #4
Fishsizzle

Yeah I was freaked about the res fridge. But traveling and having at least a 110 to plug into at night and it’s all good. We popped for some more batteries and can go 1-2 days without turning generator on.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
KimNTerry

You mention you have a Gas/Electric fridge though. The resistive heating used to make the refrigeration work is a lot of load. You'll have to experiment.

I don't have solar to recharge my battery but have accidentally left my Inverter on while travelling making the refrigerator run on electric and in just a few hours quite a bit 20% or so (I think) was drained. While the truck does recharge some, that puny wire they use (12 ga? maybe 10?) do not permit enough current to charge a whole lot.

Absorption refrigerators are electricity hogs when using electricity. I travel with my inverter off and use gas for the refer.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar