Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2023, 07:51 AM   #1
JohnnyB1966

24SABWE Winterize battery

My 2023 24SABWE has a Power Distribution Box or "giggy box" (under trailer, near left passthrough door). Do I need to do anything with this before winter? Should I switch it to "Power Off" for the winter, or leave it in "Power On"?

Do I need to alter any settings on the PV (photo voltaic) Solar Panel Disconnect? Should I leave it ON, or set it to OFF?

I assume I leave my two 100Ah) Dragonfly Lithium ion 12V batteries in place and connected.

By the way, I have finished all the plumbing related winterizing
- blowout with compressor
- pink stuff (including through the tankless water heater).
- drain all tanks
- open the red and blue (hot and cold) ½” drain tubes under the low point of the trailer
- leave faucets open.
JohnnyB1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:10 AM   #2
Canonman

I'll guess by the way you have winterized your plumbing you're expecting it to get pretty cold this winter and this is long term storage.
I'd suggest turning everything electrical off and storing your batteries inside the garage or house or ?? on a Battery Tender. Make sure the battery tender is rated for Li batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL1515-3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	45490  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:11 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's what Keystone recommends: https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-ho...hium-batteries

Follow the steps on storage:

Make sure they are fully charged to 100%
Turn OFF the Battery Heat switch. If you are not going to actively charge the batteries, there is no need for the batteries to heat themselves.
Turn OFF the Giggy Box battery disconnect.
If your RV is equipped with an inverter, turn its disconnect switch to OFF.
Finally, if your RV is equipped with a PV Solar Panel Disconnect switch, which is typically located next to your Smart Solar Charge Controller, turn it to OFF.
If you wish to learn more about your DragonFly Lithium Batteries, follow General Care & Maintenance of your Dragonfly Lithium Battery in your Keystone RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 12:07 PM   #4
Max23

Pull the lithiums and put em in a warmer spot. Lithiums don't like the cold, thats why they have battery warmers built in. Yes, I understand thats for usage but all the same. Same as the pink stuff, darn cheap insurance to just pull em and keep em warm. They like that. They are too darn expensive to not take care of them the best you can. Mine are sitting in the garage as we speak.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 02:11 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Lithium batteries if not in use, can handle temperatures to -40°F. Follow the instructions that John posted from Keystone and you will be fine. The only time you need to have warm batteries is when you are charging them (Lithium batteries need to be above 40°F to accept a charge).

If you have off-brand batteries you probably should consider pulling them for the winter, but if you have Dragonfly/Battle Born brand with the 10 year warranty I would leave them in place. YMMV
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 04:25 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The only reason I would pull them from the trailer is if the trailer is stored in a "pilferable area" and you're concerned that they may be stolen. Otherwise, they do not require any special storage (other than being kept dry and not exposed to the elements). If the trailer is in a safe place, then the batteries will "weather the weather" just fine following Keystone's advice.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-26-2023, 06:59 PM   #7
Max23

I know what your saying is true, they don't like to take a charge in cold weather. What I'm saying is at $1000 a battery, I'm taking em in the garage. No chances here. Again, cheap insurance.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 07:17 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
I know what your saying is true, they don't like to take a charge in cold weather. What I'm saying is at $1000 a battery, I'm taking em in the garage. No chances here. Again, cheap insurance.
I'd be the same way if my trailer was stored in the open, where it could be pilfered...

For me, we live in northern Michigan where the weather often is 0F or below and sometimes we get -20 for a week or maybe two without the temp rising above 0F. We park our trailer in my pole barn, on concrete, no electricity or plumbing to the trailer. The barn is locked, secure (as much as that's a possibility these days) and as safe as my house that's 1/4 mile away.

I wouldn't be concerned with the batteries in my storage situation, however, like you, if it was "out in the open and vulnerable" you bet your booty that my $1000 batteries will be some place where they are safe and secure, not left unattended and easy pickings for anyone needing funds for their next fix.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
battery, winter, winterize