Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 06:47 AM   #1
PSUtailgate

Winter Cover Recommendation

First time to post, but wanted to reach out to the forum for some guidance. I was previously a Class A guy, but made the switch to the TT is late August. We purchased a Cougar 34TSB and we live in Pennsylvania.

We use trailer late into the fall (weekend of Nov 18) for football tailgating so storing in an indoor facility over the winter does not make financial sense. Since it is a last in - first out process.

I have two questions:
1) I am looking for recommendations on a cover to purchase. We store in an outdoor storage lot that has strong winds at times. So looking for something that can withstand some wind, but also be tight enough to not damage the TT with the cover rubbing on it. Has anyone had any success?

2) Our TT has leveling jacks. Since our parking spot is fairly level, but not completely level... Should I put the leveling jacks down over the winter for even rain/snow distribution? Or best to leave them up and level out best as I can without them.

Thanks in advance for any perspective.
PSUtailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:11 AM   #2
busterbrown

With regards to your first inquiry, read these few recent discuss threads and make an informed decision on covering your coach.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=30266
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=30597
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=28097

As far as leveling jacks, are yours leveling jacks or just stabilizing jacks? Lippert makes a leveling system for travel trailers known as Ground Control which levels a coach vs the traditional 'stabilizing' jack that just provides stabilization, electrically or manually driven. Personally, if a coach is relatively level in a winter storage location, I would not engage any jacks. The tongue jack can be use to keep a slight pitch forward or backward in order to direct water runoff. But, I don't see a need to use jacks and neither do 95% of the other 1,350 RV's in my storage lot.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
PSUtailgate

1) Thanks for the links.
2) Yes, they are leveling jacks. Thanks for the perspective on the other folks in your storage facility.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUtailgate View Post
1) Thanks for the links.
2) Yes, they are leveling jacks. Thanks for the perspective on the other folks in your storage facility.
YW, No problem. And if you think about, RV dealers don't ever use trailer jacks on their lots while units wait to be sold for months/years.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
I have two questions:
1) I am looking for recommendations on a cover to purchase. We store in an outdoor storage lot that has strong winds at times. So looking for something that can withstand some wind, but also be tight enough to not damage the TT with the cover rubbing on it. Has anyone had any success?
busterbrown beat me to it, but let me add that there are dozens and dozens more threads here dating back to the beginning of the forum 6 or 7 years ago, all on the same topic and all with the same conclusions.

Quote:
2) Our TT has leveling jacks. Since our parking spot is fairly level, but not completely level... Should I put the leveling jacks down over the winter for even rain/snow distribution? Or best to leave them up and level out best as I can without them.
Leveling jacks or stabilizer jacks? Big difference in what they do and how much weight they are designed to support. Consider your exact parking situation and think about using them. My back yard is all sandy soil, and anything parked on it sinks in. I do use the stabilizers and set them down on several square feet of 2x10's. The tires are also up on 2x10's for the same reason. But if you're parking on firmer soil or concrete, or asphalt, the larger footprint is likely not needed. But the old timers recommend that you drive the tires up on boards if they're sitting on concrete for any length of time. Supposedly this prevents the concrete from leaching essential chemicals out of the tires and shortening their useful life. I did that with my Sunline and only changed out the tires twice over the life of the trailer with us.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
TyeeMan

My question would be, if you leave your stabilizers/leveling jacks down, will they be strong enough to hold up the coach if a tire goes down?
TyeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
My question would be, if you leave your stabilizers/leveling jacks down, will they be strong enough to hold up the coach if a tire goes down?
Stabilizers, probably not unless you have tandem axles and only lose one tire. Leveling jacks, yes because they are built stronger to take much of the weight of the trailer.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
Leveling jacks are intended to be used to lift the trailer in order to level it.. Stabilizer jacks are intended to prevent or at least lessen the rocking of the trailer as you move around inside it, not to lift the trailer.

Javi
Old 11-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
PSUtailgate

Thanks to all for the reply's. Yes, they are leveling jacks. As a follow-up question for those who say no need for a cover, how do you protect the decals from fading/cracking? I understand to Wax the TT, but I always thought you did not want to wax the decals.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:59 AM   #10
davhen

I am about to try this product when I store my camper in late December. I will try to remember to post after applying it and after I see how it holds up over time.

https://topcoat.store/
Old 11-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #11
OHIOJERRY

PSU, have you considered storage in a cave. I live in NE Ohio and keep my camper in underground storage in western PA. If that's to far away there's probably underground storage somewhere around you. These storage caves are old defunct limestone mines. The beauty is no winterizing and no exposure to freezing temps and snow, 55F constant. When I pull my camper out in 5 months it will look exactly like it did the day I put it in. And if you decide to take a trip to Florida in December, give them 48 hours notice and $20, they will have your unit ready for pick up. There's hundreds if not thousands of campers, boats, cars, hot dog wagons (etc) in there.
OHIOJERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:39 AM   #12
notanlines

Jerry, I simply was not aware of the vast amount of space available across this country in spaces you describe. Literally hundreds of millions of square feet.
http://www.progressiveengineer.com/f...nderground.htm
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:44 AM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Jerry, I simply was not aware of the vast amount of space available across this country in spaces you describe. Literally hundreds of millions of square feet.
http://www.progressiveengineer.com/f...nderground.htm
This^^. They are vast complexes. Some here around KCMO have offices to boot.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #14
travelin texans

Personally I'd rather dig my own cave than put a cover on!!!
Wrestling a heavy cover around all the protrusions on the roof 13.5' up has absolutely no appeal to me.
Just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, winter