Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2023, 11:05 AM   #1
RickATL

Short term storage tips

Hey everyone,

I caveat these questions with:
- I just bought my first camper a week ago
- it’s a 2023 Cougar MLS
- I literally know nothing 🤪

That being said, when storing between trips, 1-3 weeks, what should i do with regard to:
- batteries? Flip them off from power drain, or completely unhook?
- propane? Just leave turned off, or completely unhook the tanks?
- storage tanks? Water and grey tanks are empty. But should i leave a little water in the black tank, or completely empty it as well?

I’m storing in a paid storage facility that is protected and covered. Camper is cleaned and all food items will be removed between trips.

Thanks in advance for advice and any other tips.
RickATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 11:34 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Batteries-if you’re not plugged in you can use the disconnect. Your trailer should have the new “giggy box” that completely disconnects the battery(s).

Propane- just turn both cylinders off.

Waste tanks- if they are clean you can leave them empty.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 11:44 AM   #3
RickATL

Thank you!
RickATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 12:52 PM   #4
Max23

Do u have solar? If u do, no need to disconnect anything as the solar will keep your batteries up. Gas, just shut off. I (personal preference) leave some fresh water back in the black tank just to maintain a "moist" environment so things don't dry as bad. But, again, I probably wouldn't have to because I try to make sure it's flushed well every time. Doubt there is a right or wrong there. Someone else may have facts to override that.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 03:51 PM   #5
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Yes locate the battery disconnect, mines a big red wing nut in storage pass thru near the battery. That way the battery won't be running anything like a propane leak monitor and drain. The battery should keep its charge easily for a month. Holding tanks empty are fine, I leave a little water in toilet to keep seal moist. The hot water tank should be emptied as well...propane tanks just close as mentioned. Not sure if mice is a problem...tiny bowls of peppermint oil will keep them away. I leave roof vents open slightly along with cupboard doors and the fridge door.
Happy camping!
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 05:47 PM   #6
rhagfo

Well unlike many I never turned off propane, being in the PNW we went out on any given weekend, summer or winter.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 10:35 AM   #7
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

These are my rituals, and I camp almost every month:
Grey and Black Tanks: I put 3-5 gallons of fresh water with an enzyme in between trips.
Fresh Water Tank: I leave 1/3 full. I perform tank flush every 3 months.
Water Heater Tank: I leave full unless I'm performing maintenance, like replacing anode rod and flushing.
Power: I have always used shore power, but If I didn't, I would disconnect batteries.
Propane: Tanks are always off, except in use.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:04 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
Yes locate the battery disconnect, mines a big red wing nut in storage pass thru near the battery. That way the battery won't be running anything like a propane leak monitor and drain. The battery should keep its charge easily for a month. Holding tanks empty are fine, I leave a little water in toilet to keep seal moist. The hot water tank should be emptied as well...propane tanks just close as mentioned. Not sure if mice is a problem...tiny bowls of peppermint oil will keep them away. I leave roof vents open slightly along with cupboard doors and the fridge door.
Happy camping!
If that big red key is from the factory then it may not bypass the CO/LP detector & some other parasitic drains on the battery resulting in a dead battery in a very short time.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 05:35 PM   #9
dutchmensport

If you are not able to keep the camper on your own property, in your own site, and available to you any time day or night, then always remove anything YOU consider valuable. If you have a photo of great-great-grandma and it's valuable to you, take it out and bring it home with you. Laptop computers, electronic games and gaming consoles, fire arms, money, cash, jewelry, alcoholic beverages, anything ... that has value to you, remove it. It may be in a secure storage facility, but too many reports have been had, where folks experienced break-in and theft has happened, even in some of the best guarded and secured facilities. So, if it's important to you, remove it and don't leave it there subject to theft.
Old 07-04-2023, 02:17 AM   #10
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

@#8, that red key that looks like a big wing nut is from the factory and does shut off everything running on 12 volt including the propane sensor. The only thing it doesn't shut off is the power jack and the light on it.
We only camp 3-4 extra long weekends and one longer trip usually around 10 nights. My battery is 5 years old now and has never died while sitting for up to 6 weeks...off season I remove it and put it on a battery tender. If camping monthly I would do as @#7. Actually I'm considering filling up the black tank, adding a special cleaner and driving with it full next trip to clean the common sensor not reading issue.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage