Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2019, 10:24 PM   #1
RamNspringdalE

Our 2020 Springdale 220BHWE issue we’ve had

Hello everyone. We got our trailer in June and made it out 20-30 days from then till august. In that time we have had some issues come up that were covered/repaired under warranty. They were 1) a portion of the side decal missing 2) smoke alarm going off when the furnace ran for a few minutes 3) multiple spots around door frames where the silicone was cracked 4) holes in the fenders where the sheet metal seams were separated due to poor manufactureing, still waiting on this for better repair than filling with silicone 5) water leak at the toilet 6) kitchen sink drain piping loose and leaking water into cupboard
RamNspringdalE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:58 PM   #2
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamNspringdalE View Post
Hello everyone. We got our trailer in June and made it out 20-30 days from then till august. In that time we have had some issues come up that were covered/repaired under warranty. They were 1) a portion of the side decal missing 2) smoke alarm going off when the furnace ran for a few minutes 3) multiple spots around door frames where the silicone was cracked 4) holes in the fenders where the sheet metal seams were separated due to poor manufactureing, still waiting on this for better repair than filling with silicone 5) water leak at the toilet 6) kitchen sink drain piping loose and leaking water into cupboard
So I take it all these problems were corrected? Of all the problems you listed, I would say #2 was the most serious. There should be no reason a smoke detector should go off when running the furnace because they are suppose to burn clean. And if the Carbon Monoxide detector was going off instead, that would be a even more serious problem.

We have had a few minor issues with our 5’er, but nothing serious so far. I would say more annoyances than anything else. I keep hoping that someday the RV’s will be built to the same quality as our Subaru, but unfortunately I doubt I will ever see that day
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Let's go through your "list" and address them individually"

1. The dealership "should have identified and corrected the damaged decal BEFORE the trailer was delivered to you"... Issue: dealership not doing their job.

2. The furnace is "coated with preservative" that smokes when the furnace is first used. When this "coating" is burning off during the first hour or two of use, the smoke can (and often does) set off the smoke detector... Issue: had the dealership run the furnace for 2 or more hours during their PDI, that coating should have been burned away BEFORE the trailer was delivered to you.

3. The silicone around the door (you didn't indicate which door) may have "appearance cracks" that don't detract from the underlying protection of the remaining sealant layers. Even though surface cracks may/may not cause a "functional issue" they are an "appearance issue"... the dealership should have inspected and corrected all sealant issues BEFORE the trailer was delivered to you.

4. "Holes in fenders" You'll need to explain (post photos please) about where the holes are located. Are they in the plastic fender, in the aluminum skin on which the plastic fender is installed, enlarged screw holes??? Just what is damaged, missing, improperly installed???? Beyond that.... the dealership should have inspected and corrected the damage BEFORE the trailer was delivered to you.

5. Where is the water leak at the toilet? Is it the PEX connection to the toilet water valve, the foot pedal assembly, the seal between the toilet and the floor fitting or some other "water leak" ??? the dealership should have identified a water leak BEFORE the trailer was delivered to you.

6. Sink drain leaking. Do you mean the fitting was not tight or was it physically damaged causing the leak? the dealership should have identified such a leak BEFORE the trailer was delivered to you.

As you can see, the majority of issues you faced were a direct result of the dealership NOT performing a thorough PDI before delivery. The single exception to that statement is the damaged fender. Depending on what was damaged (and when) it may not even be a "Keystone issue". Further explanation and photos would be beneficial.

For me, the issues you "faced" are not "quality issues with Keystone" but rather issues found in EVERY new RV, most of which are not significant and could have easily been identified and repaired BEFORE you took delivery. That said, returning the trailer to the dealership is costly (for most owners). It entails your time, fuel, travel to deliver the trailer to the dealership, then you "lose the use" of your trailer while it's sitting at the dealership, and you have to return to tow it home after repair. When you add the potential for damage while at the dealership and the risk of break-in while there, using the dealership for "simple owner repairs" can be much more costly than you'd imagine.

I'd urge you to consider much of what you've identified as issues the dealership should have found and repaired BEFORE they delivered the trailer to you.

As for the "safety issues with the furnace/smoke detector".... I'd think it's a part of every furnace's initial operation and completely normal. We all faced that issue and most of your other issues IF the dealership failed to do a complete and thorough PDI.....

I would make the "assumption" (I know, I know) that your trailer was new when you purchased it. If so, the issues are for the most part, a normal part of buying a new trailer and/or a result of your dealership's failure to inspect/identify/repair them BEFORE delivering the trailer to you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #4
RamNspringdalE

Thanks for your in depth reply, yes most of the stuff is PDI related, I as a journeyman mechanic could have fixed all of the “issues” but I figured why should I when it is less than a month old. The dealers was a little under time constraints from when we made the purchase to when we wanted to take it for the first trip. Besides that, I have attached some pictures of the fender who’s here is the sheet metal in the wheel well. Only the driver side is like this.
The first two are of the driver side the other is of the passenger side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Let's go through your "list" and address them individually"

1. The dealership "should have identified and corrected the damaged decal BEFORE the trailer was delivered to you"... Issue: dealership not doing their job.

2. The furnace is "coated with preservative" that smokes when the furnace is first used. When this "coating" is burning off during the first hour or two of use, the smoke can (and often does) set off the smoke detector... Issue: had the dealership run the furnace for 2 or more hours during their PDI, that coating should have been burned away BEFORE the trailer was delivered to you.

3. The silicone around the door (you didn't indicate which door) may have "appearance cracks" that don't detract from the underlying protection of the remaining sealant layers. Even though surface cracks may/may not cause a "functional issue" they are an "appearance issue"... the dealership should have inspected and corrected all sealant issues BEFORE the trailer was delivered to you.

4. "Holes in fenders" You'll need to explain (post photos please) about where the holes are located. Are they in the plastic fender, in the aluminum skin on which the plastic fender is installed, enlarged screw holes??? Just what is damaged, missing, improperly installed???? Beyond that.... the dealership should have inspected and corrected the damage BEFORE the trailer was delivered to you.

5. Where is the water leak at the toilet? Is it the PEX connection to the toilet water valve, the foot pedal assembly, the seal between the toilet and the floor fitting or some other "water leak" ??? the dealership should have identified a water leak BEFORE the trailer was delivered to you.

6. Sink drain leaking. Do you mean the fitting was not tight or was it physically damaged causing the leak? the dealership should have identified such a leak BEFORE the trailer was delivered to you.

As you can see, the majority of issues you faced were a direct result of the dealership NOT performing a thorough PDI before delivery. The single exception to that statement is the damaged fender. Depending on what was damaged (and when) it may not even be a "Keystone issue". Further explanation and photos would be beneficial.

For me, the issues you "faced" are not "quality issues with Keystone" but rather issues found in EVERY new RV, most of which are not significant and could have easily been identified and repaired BEFORE you took delivery. That said, returning the trailer to the dealership is costly (for most owners). It entails your time, fuel, travel to deliver the trailer to the dealership, then you "lose the use" of your trailer while it's sitting at the dealership, and you have to return to tow it home after repair. When you add the potential for damage while at the dealership and the risk of break-in while there, using the dealership for "simple owner repairs" can be much more costly than you'd imagine.

I'd urge you to consider much of what you've identified as issues the dealership should have found and repaired BEFORE they delivered the trailer to you.

As for the "safety issues with the furnace/smoke detector".... I'd think it's a part of every furnace's initial operation and completely normal. We all faced that issue and most of your other issues IF the dealership failed to do a complete and thorough PDI.....

I would make the "assumption" (I know, I know) that your trailer was new when you purchased it. If so, the issues are for the most part, a normal part of buying a new trailer and/or a result of your dealership's failure to inspect/identify/repair them BEFORE delivering the trailer to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE57A7B4-8064-4E81-8A9F-4611263EE070.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	24569   Click image for larger version

Name:	A6124524-38F9-4818-B244-A6157A4C65A2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	24570   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F298B2F-BA48-49CC-A17E-FCA6449C059B.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	24571  
RamNspringdalE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

The majority of your issues sound like they should have been caught with a good PDI as John mentioned. If you didn't let them keep it long enough to do one then those issues will be yours to find and deal with. The decal would be something I would take to the dealer. The holes (in the wheel well?) looks like one of the sheet metal panels wasn't formed correctly? The dealership may take it apart and form new panels but I wouldn't hold my breath. Depending on where those holes are I definitely wouldn't be taking it anywhere until they were sealed with something.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
springdale