Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2020, 06:19 PM   #1
Spraf

Park Cable

Hey y'all new to the forum! I have an 2018 Alpine 3651RL 5th wheel. I've had it parked since the day I bought it in a nice RV park with cable TV and internet. Lately I've been having problems with my living room cable connection. The tv image on some channels is very pixelated and the modem signal is slow. The bed room tv is fine. But since I work from home and need high speed internet I've had to abandon the outside docking connection and run the service line thru the window and connect directly to my modem and TV in the livingroom. Which means no cable in the bedroom. So this weekend I'm trying to track down the cable lines in the RV to find the problem. When I pulled off the booster jack in the bedroom I found the gray coax line outer rubber coating shaved off in areas. Would this cause the signal loss to the livingroom? Or does anyone know where the cable splitter(s) are located? FYI I have 3 cable ports in the livingroom black, red, gray (none are marked on the face covers had to pull them all off), and two ports in the bedroom (booster with the same 3 colored cables and 2nd port with gray). I also have another port in the cargo bay (unknown color cable). Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thank you!
Spraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:59 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Does your Alpine have the infamous "KeyTV"? Tracing coax can be a daunting task. At tleast the color of the coax jacket makes it a little easier. You almoxt need to start at the outside connection and using a coax tester, just figure that the coax goes to the booster FIRST. When operating in "cable" mode the booster is OFF?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

My first question would be "what's changed"? And when did it change? Is this the first time you've been in the camper this year or do you full time and one day it just "changed"?

I'd check the cable connection between the utility connection and the camper. Are the ends corroded? Do you have or know how to use a VOM? The cable could be defective/corroded on the inside. Those cheap cables from Walmart and the like don't last forever. If people are stepping/tripping over the cable their life span can be greatly reduced. For the money, I'd invest in a decent cable and if no improvement start asking your'e neighbors if they are experiencing any issues. It could be the provider's added too many connections and weakened the signal. If the simple fix's don't work then it's time to start looking at the interior cable runs.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
travelin texans

Rescan your tv, check cable connections.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #5
Spraf

Thank you all for the ideas! I think I have found the 2 part issue. I moved my modem to the front of the line- bedroom. I think since it was at the end the signal got degraded. As I have a 400 mb service. I bypassed the booster jack which I think is creating some of the issue. I'm going to replace the booster and put the lines all back like they should be. Right now I had to take the bedroom off line. So glad I didn't start tearing down walls, etc to find the splitters. Thanks again!
Spraf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable