Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2023, 10:35 PM   #1
Wagster

Avalanche 372mb furnace

So we have owned the 5th wheel about a week now (delivered 11/22/23) to our RV park.

Tonight with temps dropping into the high 30's out furnace decided not to work (it is currently 1:30 am).

Furnace blower comes on then I can hear the igniter activate and I can hear the whoosh of the gas igniting, then it stops and cycles all over again not producing any heat.

I have a space heater going on high and the fire place on to keep from freezing.

If it helps any, the in demand water heater doesn't seem to be working either.

Any quick fix before I call the dealer in the morning?
Wagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 05:43 AM   #2
Texas Steve

Try lighting the burners on the stove. Are you getting a good blue flame on all the burners?
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 05:46 AM   #3
Wagster

Yes, stove looks normal. Furnace blower comes in like normal, I hear the igniter activate and I hear the whoosh of the gas igniting but then it goes out almost immediately and then repeats ever 20 seconds or so. It's under warranty just looking for a fix as our high today is 45 and it got down to 28 last night.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:38 AM   #4
ChuckS

Go outside... Turn Both LP tank valves OFF..
Remove each green screw on ACME connection
Reinstall same
Turn the LP Regulator tank lever to ONE tank
Slowly open the OPD valve on that tank only

Now go inside and turn stove burner on for a minute to purge air

Your furnace issue sounds like the poppet valves inside the ACME screw on connections have tripped and this reduces flow of LP.. Stove might light but furnace will never get enough LP volume flow

You have blower start up, Ignition popping and LP flow and light off...

If the above doesnt work then the flame sensor is not detecting the flame when light off occurs... this could be the sensor or the ignitor board

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 06:44 AM   #5
Wagster

Thanks, on the regulator there is a window that turns red when I turn tanks off, remove the hoses, turn the tanks switch (the diverter that dictate what bottle?) Hook everything back up and as soon as an appliance (other than stove) turns on it turns red.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:05 AM   #6
Wagster

It appears it's the regulator, I have one side not passing gas and one side was on an empty tank (dealer said bother were full). I moved the tank with gas in it and all is good now. Just need the regulator swapped out I guess.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:10 AM   #7
Texas Steve

Sounds like both tanks are at or nearly at empty. Try filling both tanks and see if the regulator is operating correctly. If not, replace the regulator. You will need the propane sooner or later anyways.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:20 AM   #8
Wagster

One tank is about 3/4 to half full, on my way to fill the empty tank and to top off the 30# bottle I already had.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice, way more helpful than Keystone, and their "warranty"
Old 11-28-2023, 07:23 AM   #9
Wagster

One last question does the arrow on the regulator point to the bottle with gas or with the direction of flow for the gas?
Old 11-28-2023, 07:45 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagster View Post
One last question does the arrow on the regulator point to the bottle with gas or with the direction of flow for the gas?
A few things to consider:

1. A 30 pound propane tank will only last 3 or 4 days before it's empty.

2. The arrow on the regulator (manually switchable knob) points to the tank you set it on and it will initially draw from that tank. When the tank is empty, the indicator on the regulator will change from green to red, but the knob will still be pointing to the initial tank. When you turn the knob/arrow to the full tank, the indicator will change from red to green, indicating there is gas in the tank the knob/arrow is pointing to. Then you can "go fill the empty tank".

3. Propane "boils" (changes from liquid state to gas state) at a very low temperature, but in ambient temperatures below freezing, that "boiling" starts to slow down. Only the surface of the liquid can change from liquid to gas, so there is very little surface area to boil. That is why large residential propane tanks are horizontal, to get more surface area to provide propane in the gas state. So expect that on extremely cold nights, you will have minimal to insufficient propane to operate your appliances. If you encounter that type of problem, there are 12 volt heating blankets to wrap around your propane tanks, or just putting an incandescent light in the propane compartment may provide enough warmth to keep the propane flowing.

4. Propane in 20 or 30 pound portable tanks is extremely expensive. If you're going to be permanently (for the season) on that campsite, you might consider contacting a propane distributor and discussing a 50 gallon or even a 250 gallon propane tank to be set on your site. Propane is usually about half the price that way and you eliminate the "hassle" of transporting tanks to an expensive "propane filling station"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:51 AM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
It appears it's the regulator, I have one side not passing gas and one side was on an empty tank (dealer said bother were full). I moved the tank with gas in it and all is good now. Just need the regulator swapped out I guess.
Once you have both tanks full and the problem persists, chances are your regulator is bad. I had this issue once new regulator solved the issue.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:58 AM   #12
Wagster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Once you have both tanks full and the problem persists, chances are your regulator is bad. I had this issue once new regulator solved the issue.
I'm just going to swap it for a new on as it only lets gas flow from one side. I'll fight with keystone over the so called warranty later.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:45 AM   #13
jsb5717

Quote:
I'm just going to swap it for a new on as it only lets gas flow from one side. I'll fight with keystone over the so called warranty later.
Make your first call to the dealer as they are the ones who fulfill the OEM's warranties.

But yes, it could easily be the regulator. We had to replace ours after a couple years for the same reason and same symptoms. If you can, get a Marshall Excelsior
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:03 AM   #14
Wagster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Make your first call to the dealer as they are the ones who fulfill the OEM's warranties.

But yes, it could easily be the regulator. We had to replace ours after a couple years for the same reason and same symptoms. If you can, get a Marshall Excelsior
Called the dealer, referred me to keystone and that was a joke.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:23 AM   #15
jsb5717

Quote:
Called the dealer, referred me to keystone and that was a joke.
Seriously? you're still inside your one-year warranty. A good dealer would help you. The selling dealer SHOULD help you...it's their job and responsibility to the manufacturer. If you're out of warranty then a new regulator is one you. Fortunately they are not terribly expensive and easy to replace.

Sorry, but your dealer sounds lame. Who are they...others should avoid them.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:28 AM   #16
ChuckS

When you turn the regulator lever handle and point toward One tank that tank becomes the PRIMARY TANK..

When you open that tank ONLY OPD valve the red indicator Must turn green.

The other tank is the SECONDARY tank and IF the OPD valve is OPEN also then when the PRIMARY TANK runs empty the indicator will turn RED

And - the LP will now flow from the SECONDARY tank but the regulator indicator will still STAY RED

My video demo shows this ---

https://youtu.be/SUISQqc6P-o?si=XomSA6CFbS4zC9lm

** EDIT - if your PRIMARY tank did not turn the regulator indicator GREEN when OPD tank valve was opened and lever was pointed at that tank then the regulator is bad.. most likley

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 11:19 AM   #17
Wagster

Turns out I got the "newbie" who had no clue what they were doing, once I was able to get with my "personal" service rep, it went smooth, turns out the regulator was bad, all good and heat is back on. No to find bigger tanks so I don't have to fill as often. I'll get that figured out soon enough.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:40 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Make sure the new tank will fit, they are taller.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 05:45 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Just some thoughts;
You have the trailer "delivered" to your site - does that mean you are full time with no means of moving the trailer?

Your warranty issues should, and need to be, addressed by the selling dealer. If they "referred" you to Keystone that would be a red flag, or, is it because you are stationary and they can't/won't come to you to assess?

It sounds to me, and I may be completely wrong, that you're stuck with an issue that should have been found at PDI, there wasn't one, you can't take the trailer back and your dealer, instead of helping you, has dumped you to Keystone???
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 12:21 PM   #20
Bea

My experience is start small. Start with the propane sir. Stinker if your propane low or none. After that reset button if u have one inside. Thermostat of course. and last but not least read yesterday some times going from air conditioning mode back to heater may work if air flow problem. . Hope goes well .
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace