Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2023, 06:25 PM   #1
Michaelval15

2012 Avalanche 340TG

Hello everyone,
Me, my wife, and our two little boys(3yrs and 9months) are leaving the big city of houston to live on our 10 acres outside of San Antonio. We recently purchased a well kept 2012 Avalanche 340TG that we will be living in full time for the next year. Any tips or tricks to adjust or any must haves while full timing in this model would be greatly appreciated. Any updates that people have done I would love to hear about them as well! Glad to have joined the Keystone community.
Michaelval15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 04:58 AM   #2
Texas Steve

Welcome to San Antonio! The first thing I would say is if you don't have 2 air conditioners, you might want to look into getting an additional unit or a stand alone unit. It gets mighty hot here (106 degrees here yesterday) and that will heat your trailer quickly. If you have a shady spot, that would help also. Check your roof for all seams and penetrations to be sealed, because sooner or later it will rain and when it does it comes down! Good luck with your move!
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 04:59 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your great find. First thing is to inspect the roof. Make sure all the sealant is in good shape and cover any cracks with Dicor self leveling lap sealant.

Do you have power,water and sewer?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 05:27 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelval15 View Post
Hello everyone,
Me, my wife, and our two little boys(3yrs and 9months) are leaving the big city of houston to live on our 10 acres outside of San Antonio. We recently purchased a well kept 2012 Avalanche 340TG that we will be living in full time for the next year. Any tips or tricks to adjust or any must haves while full timing in this model would be greatly appreciated. Any updates that people have done I would love to hear about them as well! Glad to have joined the Keystone community.
Welcome from a Medina County neighbor. Curious if you acreage has water, septic and electricity. Tips will revolve around those things.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 08:26 AM   #5
pawpaw

Welcome to the site!! Lackland AFB for boot camp in early 1969. Have been back a few times since. Next door in the swamps of Louisiana!!
Old 08-15-2023, 12:10 PM   #6
Michaelval15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your great find. First thing is to inspect the roof. Make sure all the sealant is in good shape and cover any cracks with Dicor self leveling lap sealant.

Do you have power,water and sewer?

Yes! It has city water, an electric meter and a septic that was just installed in 2019. We are currently working on building a couple pads on the property.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:10 PM   #7
Michaelval15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Welcome from a Medina County neighbor. Curious if you acreage has water, septic and electricity. Tips will revolve around those things.

Yes! It has city water, an electric meter and a septic that was just installed in 2019. We are currently working on building a couple pads on the property.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:11 PM   #8
Michaelval15

We’re picking it up Friday and we plan on taking it to a shop in houston and having them do a once over on everything along with a nice wash and wax.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:17 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
If the lot is fairly flat, you might consider a cover over the trailer. The heat is oppressive in the summer (I guess you have already figured that out) and a cover will greatly reduce the heat from direct sunlight on the camper roof. You will want to install an outlet on your pole if you have a breaker box on the pole and also install a 110V outlet as well... guessing your trailer is 50A. I did my own electrical work and we have a spot here on my property with a not only a 30A outlet and a 110V outlet but water and use a macerator to get sewage to the cleanout at my house; about 150 yards down the hill. We have our 5th wheel on about the only level spot on our property which is on the side of a hill. The 5th wheel sits on a level gravel pad (done professionally).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 03:57 PM   #10
Michaelval15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
Welcome to San Antonio! The first thing I would say is if you don't have 2 air conditioners, you might want to look into getting an additional unit or a stand alone unit. It gets mighty hot here (106 degrees here yesterday) and that will heat your trailer quickly. If you have a shady spot, that would help also. Check your roof for all seams and penetrations to be sealed, because sooner or later it will rain and when it does it comes down! Good luck with your move!

We are equipped with 2 A/C’s and the main area one was just replaced last year.
Old 08-15-2023, 04:00 PM   #11
Michaelval15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If the lot is fairly flat, you might consider a cover over the trailer. The heat is oppressive in the summer (I guess you have already figured that out) and a cover will greatly reduce the heat from direct sunlight on the camper roof. You will want to install an outlet on your pole if you have a breaker box on the pole and also install a 110V outlet as well... guessing your trailer is 50A. I did my own electrical work and we have a spot here on my property with a not only a 30A outlet and a 110V outlet but water and use a macerator to get sewage to the cleanout at my house; about 150 yards down the hill. We have our 5th wheel on about the only level spot on our property which is on the side of a hill. The 5th wheel sits on a level gravel pad (done professionally).

Gotcha. Yea we just had 2 200 amp panels installed so we have plenty of power. We will be setting up our power and other hookups how we like them on our own. The rv pads will only be like 50 ft from the septic so no problems there. Yea we are thinking of some type of cover to shade the trailer.
Old 08-17-2023, 03:36 AM   #12
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:05 PM   #13
Db361

Quote:
Hello everyone,
We had a 2014 model and loved it, but the 2 ac’s will not keep the kitchen cool enough.. if we had kept it we would have put a third ac in. You will need a separate 30 amp line run to the ac because the 50amp cannot handle all three at the same time. We did this in our 2021 Avalanche 390 DS and it really works well. Not to expensive to run the 30 amp line when you install the third ac.
Db361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 05:53 AM   #14
Gkri

Quote:
Gotcha. Yea we just had 2 200 amp panels installed so we have plenty of power. We will be setting up our power and other hookups how we like them on our own. The rv pads will only be like 50 ft from the septic so no problems there. Yea we are thinking of some type of cover to shade the trailer.
Do not leave your tank drain valves open. Only drain when the tanks are nearly full or you will experience the dreaded "poop pyramid".
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote