Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
leroyg

Satellite

To you satellite pros I have a question on this package I found at amazon.
I currently have direct tv at home and would like to take my main receiver with us on camping trips. Receiver number is HR44-500. I have some knowledge on acquiring signals on satellite. I have read many comments and am leaning toward this package. I will take any advice and
I thank all of you in advance

Leroy

DIRECTV Swim Mobile RV Portable Satellite Dish Tripod Kit SWM SL3S

by Satellite Oasis

/* * Fix for UDP-1061. Average customer reviews has a small extra line on hover * https://omni-grok.amazon.com/xref/sr...teTemplates#40 */ .noUnderline a:hover { text-decoration: none; }3.8 out of 5 stars179 customer reviews

| 194 answered questions
Amazon's Choice recommends highly rated, well-priced products available to ship immediately.
Amazon's Choice for "portable satellite dish for rv"

• This fits your .

• Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
  • Geniune DIRECTV SWiM HD
  • Complete Portable Kit with Instructions
  • Compatible with H25, HR34, HR44 and above (not C31 and C41)
  • Includes Tripod, 50ft coax, compass, bubble level
  • Handy Satellite Oasis carrying case for accessories
leroyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

We had DirecTV in our home for 19 years. It got to be so darned expensive we dumped in favor of Dish a month ago. Dish has more programs for a lot less money. The Hopper (receiver/dvr) seems to work great. I wanted a satellite dish for use while camping but there is a lot of talk out there that DirecTV is going to turn off their SD birds next year. I am not really sure but didn't want to invest in stuff that wouldn't work if this happened (DirecTV is SD only for the reasonably priced dishes) that acquire the satellite signals automatically.

So we went Dish. For $7 on top of our regular bill, we added a Playmaker satellite self-acquiring dish and a Wally receiver. The set up cost $400. I have added a pass through connector for the outside RG-6 right where it connects via a 1' cable to my Wally box. I added a 2gb external hard drive for recording with a $40 activation fee. I bought it from Western Digital for under $50 shipped and I bought a wifi adapter to be able to use the voice control feature on my remote. It connects to my wifi network. You must use a specific Netgear Wifi adapter sold on eBay for about $20.

The only real downside of the Wally is that if not used for a few days, it forgets things and you have to reactivate it via the MyDish phone app and the restart takes 15 minutes or so.

I would rate DirecTV based on a lot of experience and the customer support as a 5 or 6 and Dish as a 7 or 8; both on a 10 scale. Other opinions may vary. BTW: It took my wife 2 1/2 hours to cancel our DirecTV service as they kept shuffling her around and dropping her call while on hold. Then arguing about why we wanted to cancel. I think she said we no longer watch TV.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite