Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
xrated

Any Guesses on This Question.....

My Fuzion Impact 303 is prewired for a second A/C unit (in the garage area of the T.H) and this evening I was looking at the electrical box up in the ceiling by where the new A/C will be going. I have a 120VAC circuit up there of course and I also have a 12VDC source, fed from the fuse/breaker panel and there is also a three or four wire cable that is for the thermostat connection. So my question is this....Where do you think/guess the other end of that thermostat wire is at? It's no where obvious and I'm guessing that it's stuffed into the wall somewhere...possibly in the area that the existing thermostat is located...but that's only a guess. Anyone want to offer up a guess or does anyone know?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Vern, the thermostat for my garage AC is next to the door into the main living area, and above the happijack switches. YMMV, but that's a pool place to start. My AC was added in and that's where the thermostat was placed. Good luck on your project.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:42 PM   #3
xrated

Hey Chip...I was hoping you would respond. That location is what made sense to me, but then again.........well, you know. And on a side note.....the A/C unit arrived today, and the unit has damage to it, so probably going to be waiting for another one to arrive.

Thanks Chip!

Old 07-18-2018, 01:58 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Bummer on the damage. You'll love the extra capacity. It is a good addition.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 07-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
xrated

FOUND IT! So today was a productive day. PPL Motorhomes issued a call ticket to have Fedex pick up the damaged unit and Fedex rolled up today and picked it up. PPL also was getting the new unit shipped out today......That's good customer service....and basically no questions asked, no pictures of the damage (although I took several). Dometic doesn't really make it very easy to figure out the wiring for the new unit, but I've spent some time researching and I believe I've got it. So today, I removed a double light switch that is on the wall in the garage area and stuck a mirror through the hole. Lo and behold, there was the thermostat wiring that came down from the overhead box for the new A/C unit. There was also a two conductor cable in the same box and it came to that same area behind the wall. I suspect that wire would be used if I were going to operate the furnace from that thermostat....which I'm not. So I cut a hole in the wall and pulled the wire up and out of it and got the new Dometic Single Zone CT thermostat wired and mounted on the wall. Next step is to pull down the inside trim plate that is around the existing vent in the ceiling and get the 120VAC, the 12VDC, and the thermostat wiring from the box over to the front face of the existing vent opening....which of course is where the new A/C unit will reside. Then it will be a waiting game for the replacement A/C unit to show up next week. It's actually going a bit smoother than I thought it might!

Old 07-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Well that worked out well. Glad to hear it.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 07-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Vern, I'm glad things are looking up. Sounds like you may have that thing in and humming in no time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
Pull Toy

Let her sit level for a few hours after the "lift". If off level, this will let the gasses go back where the gasses belong, etc...

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #9
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Well that worked out well. Glad to hear it.
Your help was invaluable as a confirmation of the location of the wiring. I ended up putting my thermostat just above the HappiJack control also.

One a side note......did you know that there are no wires per se', going to the HappiJack switch? By wires, I mean like wires in the traditional sense....#14 or #12 or ?? The HappiJack switch assembly has an RJ45 phone connector plug into it from the bottom and there are no other wires. It is being used strickly as a set of control switches and not as "power" switches. In other words, the HappiJack motor assembly area has the actual relays/contacts over there, and the wall switch is just controlling those relays at the unit itself.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Vern, I'm glad things are looking up. Sounds like you may have that thing in and humming in no time.
It's definitely looking easier than I thought it was going to be. At my first look a few months ago, I thought that the only thing in the box up by the vent was a 120VAC circuit and that I would have to figure out how to get thermostat wiring and 12VDC wiring up there..........but it's already there! That was a big relief when I discovered that. Hopefully the replacement will be here next week and then I'll probably try to finish it up next weekend.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
Let her sit level for a few hours after the "lift". If off level, this will let the gasses go back where the gasses belong, etc...

Good Luck,
I plan on at least 12 hours from the time that it goes up to the roof and when I fire it up. The trip up to the roof is going to be done with a rope hoist and hopefully it will be mostly level from the ground all the way to the roof.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Your help was invaluable as a confirmation of the location of the wiring. I ended up putting my thermostat just above the HappiJack control also.

One a side note......did you know that there are no wires per se', going to the HappiJack switch? By wires, I mean like wires in the traditional sense....#14 or #12 or ?? The HappiJack switch assembly has an RJ45 phone connector plug into it from the bottom and there are no other wires. It is being used strickly as a set of control switches and not as "power" switches. In other words, the HappiJack motor assembly area has the actual relays/contacts over there, and the wall switch is just controlling those relays at the unit itself.
Had no idea about the switch. That's different.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 07-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #13
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Had no idea about the switch. That's different.
There's actually a small printed circuit board with that switch and that's what the RJ45 is plugged into. Betcha that's a costly little bugger to replace if it goes south!