Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
TickTock

Keystone Elite 27RB Stablizer Jack Question

I have an Elite 27RB which is a 31 foot TT. It came with 24 inch stabilizer jacks (marked with a yellow sticker and Model J-2500) and often they are too short to really stabilize the unit as they end up fully extended. I have been using 6x6 blocks to help, but this is proving to be a pain to haul around - especially after a rainy night prior to departure...

I was wondering if these might not be the right size ones since it appears that sometimes when they are building these and are running out of a part they tend to throw whatever is lying around on. If they are the right size, has anyone had experience changing them out to 30 inch ones? If so, what brand worked well? If someone has something factory installed that is different I would be curious to know what they are as well.

Thanks for any information.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
Jeepshots

Hi TickTock - Are they the scissor type stab jacks, or the arm style jacks? We have the scissor jacks, and I carry 2x8's that are 12" long. Have enough to stack 8 at each corner, and still have some in reserve. I use the yellow plastic jack stabilizer platform at each corner, with a stack of 2x8's on each one, high enough so that the stab jack is about halfway extended. Supposedly that's where you'll get your best performance.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Factory probably installed correct ones to allow for clearance. The J-2500 means they are rated for 2500 pounds each. If the collapsed height of a 30" jack is close to the same, then I would change them. I have 3 bags of lynx levers and being plastic, shed the rain water quite well. I have stacked a bunch under my rear stab jacks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I have four 6x6x12 cedar blocks that I stack on top of an "adequate number" of lynx levelers. Sometimes, depending on the slope of the campsite, my rear jacks have been 36"+ off the ground and I've had a foot of lynx levelers, a 6x6 cedar block and still had to extend the scissors jacks to "near full extension" to get them to rest on the blocks.

Typically though, a couple of lynx, a single 6x6 block and the scissors jacks will extend about half way and stabilize the trailer. I wouldn't want to install 30" scissors jacks, when closed, they would be "right at the edge of the trailer and that's right where my grill propane connection is located.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
TickTock

I found the 28 inch ones sold by camping world to really help. They are branded Trailer Life but are made by ultrafab. They are rated for 6500 pounds and have a 6x10 inch foot pad. Installed them last weekend and camping with them this weekend. They are working perfectly and required no extra blocks. Much more sturdy than original as well. Clearance is basically the same.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone