Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #1
Aorobie

Shoreline hook-up modification

I made this mod to give myself a choice to plug-in on my Fuzion 371 depending on where the shore power stand is located. In my experience some power stands are near the front of the site while others are at the very back. The 50amp cord at 50ft. Long is very heavy and cumbersome to roll and store.
I pulled 3-6 gauge and 1-8 gauge (ground) thru non-metallic flex and attached it to and thru the frame rails between two matching 50amp twist lock male boxes. On the 50ft power cord I cut it about 15ft. from the factory sealed male plug and attached a 50amp twist lock plug. The other end of the now 35ft power cord I cut about 3ft. from the factory sealed twist lock plug and added another twist lock plug to be used as a "pigtail" (see picture) Anyhow now if the sites power box is at the back I first plug in the "pig tail" and then my 15ft. to my rear box and the power stand. If the power box is toward the front I just hook up the 15ft.as normal straight to the factory inlet box (no pig tail)...there is a safety issue with this set-up. If you plug in from the power stand to the rear inlet box first, that's going to entergize the exposed male ends on front box so always get the pigtail in place BEFORE you utilize the rear inlet box. Bottom line it's a little pricey to do but a no more dealing with that 50 footer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	12408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	12409  
Aorobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Your mod will "work" but does not meet any electrical code. RVIA is very specific as are all the national electrical codes with regard to exposed male connectors on an energized circuit.

Hopefully you'll never have a situation where a curious toddler or an adventurous adult tries to help you set up the trailer without knowing what dangers lay ahead !!!

You may never have a problem, but then again, tomorrow after noon you might return to the trailer from a sightseeing trip and find the male plug "unplugged" and exposed to anyone or anything that might happen by. That kind of situation would be very much like walking along a sidewalk and finding a downed live electrical line that fell from the pole.

Please be very careful with this kind of modification !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
rhagfo

Well look at replacing the 50 of cable with SO cable! it is lighter and more flexible. Below is 40' of 6/4 SO cable coiled in a three gallon bucket, hand is for scale only resting on not holding down.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
Aorobie

Yes point well taken..
Old 04-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well look at replacing the 50 of cable with SO cable! it is lighter and more flexible. Below is 40' of 6/4 SO cable coiled in a three gallon bucket, hand is for scale only resting on not holding down.

What is this SO cable? I HATE my 50A cord with a passion, and it's only 30'.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
xrated

SO is a rubber outer insulation and is extremely flexible.....no themo-plastic stuff like the original. Another type is SOOW......can be had for $2.50 to$4.00 a foot, depending on where you buy it.....plus the end pieces

Here is an example from eBay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/64050-50-6-4...QAAOSwFdtX0udo
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
Jeepshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorobie View Post
I made this mod to give myself a choice to plug-in on my Fuzion 371 depending on where the shore power stand is located. In my experience some power stands are near the front of the site while others are at the very back. The 50amp cord at 50ft. Long is very heavy and cumbersome to roll and store.
I pulled 3-6 gauge and 1-8 gauge (ground) thru non-metallic flex and attached it to and thru the frame rails between two matching 50amp twist lock male boxes. On the 50ft power cord I cut it about 15ft. from the factory sealed male plug and attached a 50amp twist lock plug. The other end of the now 35ft power cord I cut about 3ft. from the factory sealed twist lock plug and added another twist lock plug to be used as a "pigtail" (see picture) Anyhow now if the sites power box is at the back I first plug in the "pig tail" and then my 15ft. to my rear box and the power stand. If the power box is toward the front I just hook up the 15ft.as normal straight to the factory inlet box (no pig tail)...there is a safety issue with this set-up. If you plug in from the power stand to the rear inlet box first, that's going to entergize the exposed male ends on front box so always get the pigtail in place BEFORE you utilize the rear inlet box. Bottom line it's a little pricey to do but a no more dealing with that 50 footer
So what if you swap ends on the two boxes? Will also have to swap ends on the pigtail and the 15ft cord. Or perhaps change rear box/15' cord ends. So you'd have male at the pedestal, female on other end of cord that plugs into male on rear box, female on front box, and male on pigtail? Cannot energize any of the male ends... Make 'em all like regular extension cords - you just so happen to have one permanently mounted under your RV...
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
Aorobie

Yes I know exactly what your saying...and I did start to go that way but ended up with this. I may revisit this again someday
Thanks for your input
Old 04-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #9
MattHelm21

Sorry to bring up another issue with this mod. I'm sure there are many different configurations out there on different model trailers but I assumed there was a reason Keystone did not run the electric to the back of the Fuzion. I always assumed this was to keep possible arcing away from the fuel tanks. I'd be interested to know if the location of the removable(marine connector) power cord was mounted forward on all toy haulers with rear fuel tanks.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:34 AM   #10
xcntrk

Dude that's a bunch of work and a nice job there.

I'm on the lazy side of this equation and carry a 50-amp 25' extension (in addition to the 50' onboard cord on a fixed reel). I've had to use the extension a whopping zero times thus far...

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:43 AM   #11
Aorobie

Thanks for your comment. I also looked at the cord reel idea but wasn't satisfied with a location to mount it
Old 04-28-2017, 03:32 AM   #12
xcntrk

Regardless of this modification; if you have to lug around a heavy 50-amp cord I would highly recommend the MOR/ryde cord reel. They come in a couple different sizes to fit your storage compartment configurations (basically short and fat vs tall and narrow). This has got to be IMHO one of the best accessories for a 5'er.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #13
MattHelm21

Hey xcntrk,

Did you install one of these MOR/ryde reels? Do you have any specifics about your installation, model, cord length? I looked at these but wasn't sure which model I would need and if I could get it installed in the pass through next to the convenience center. I haven't measured but I would swear my 50 AMP cord is longer than 50 feet. I currently keep my cord stored in a plastic feed bucket from Tractor Supply which I saw described in another thread. A permanent reel would be an improvement.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:13 AM   #14
xcntrk

Yes, I installed the tall/narrow unit (specifically the one in the pic above) into my Fuzion 325. I believe we have the same front compartment. I installed it in the left side compartment which shares the single door with the basement hook ups. That narrow space just forward of the hook ups is where I installed it. Works awesome, fits the entire stock Fuzion cord and there's a little bit of space left where I keep my fresh-water hose.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #15
MattHelm21

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to look into this again. If I can ask further, how did you fasten it, is the flooring in your compartment strong enough to just use wood screws or was there included mounting hardware that did the job?

Tags
mod