Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2017, 04:34 AM   #1
GregH.

Parking on a hill

Hi folks, I'm picking up a new Bullet Premier 24RKPR next Saturday and I'm trying to be as prepared as I can be. One concern I have is that it'll be parked on a slight hill for storage. My concern is that it will roll down the hill once I disconnect from the truck. That would be a disaster.

I was looking at x-chocks for between the wheels. What would you use?

What size x-chocks would fit this camper, it looks the axles are spaced fairly far apart.

Thanks!

Greg
GregH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:46 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Since your just parking for storage, simple wheel chocks will work. Many varieties and prices. Personally I would get the small plastic ones, they work and aren't that appealing to someone shopping for freebies.

For illustration only:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Whe...3=5710&veh=sem

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:49 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Congrats on your new rig. The cheap plastic ones work fine. Install them before you unhook and you'll be OK.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:25 AM   #4
SLIMSHADIE

X3 the cheap plastic ones work fine, thats how I used to store mine on my inclined driveway.
Now I also have x-chocks for camping, the definitely help. My tires are pretty close togehter, not like what I'm see now.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:08 AM   #5
Jetfixer03

I pull a trailer at work, so I've gone through a lot of chalks. The plastic ones are cheap and work fine, but Harbor Freight has some nice heavy rubber ones, I want to say they were $8ea. I love em, they're indestructible, and what i really like is you can just toss em in the bed of the truck and they won't go anywhere.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:29 AM   #6
cardinal96ss

2 x Jetfixer03. The HF ones are heavy too and will not just "pop" out if there is some little movement like my plastic ones did once.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #7
slow

Our concrete driveway has a 5 degree slope and I found that rubber chocks on all four tires works best. To be safe since there are many children in our neighbourhood, I also wrap a vinyl coated cable thru the spokes closest on the two wheels on each side of the TT so the TT would not move if the chocks did not hold.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...622248096b.jpg
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:58 AM   #8
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Enjoy that new rig. My dealers lot is on a hill so when I have dropped my TT off for service they usually put a chunk of 4x4 or 6x6 behind a couple of the wheels. I like the idea of the big rubber ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfixer03 View Post
I pull a trailer at work, so I've gone through a lot of chalks. The plastic ones are cheap and work fine, but Harbor Freight has some nice heavy rubber ones, I want to say they were $8ea. I love em, they're indestructible, and what i really like is you can just toss em in the bed of the truck and they won't go anywhere.
^^^Bingo!^^^

I get them at HF on sale. They tend to grab better, whereas the plastic ones can slide on the pavement or gravel. They are also cheap enough to not worry if they are stolen.

When camping, I use a more expensive and effective One-Step, but I also carry a rubber, HF chock for a temporary solution, if needed.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH. View Post
Hi folks, ...
I was looking at x-chocks for between the wheels. What would you use?

What size x-chocks would fit this camper, it looks the axles are spaced fairly far apart.

Thanks!

Greg
Before you buy x-chocks for the purpose of "chocking" your trailer, open the package and read the WARNING at the top of the instruction page. It states: "DO NOT USE THIS DEVICE TO CHOCK YOUR TRAILER". It goes on to say that the x-chocks are designed to help stabilize your trailer by preventing "tire roll" but as tires change temperature (cool after travel or after the sun stops shining on them, as examples), the x-chocks will loosen.

So, if you rely only on x-chocks, they can loosen enough to allow your trailer to roll down the hill.... ALWAYS USE CHOCKS under your wheels as the primary means to prevent roll.

I strongly recommend using chocks "front and back" of the tires. Even if you're on a hill, chocking the "uphill side" (which seems foolish at first thought) will help prevent the trailer from shifting sideways and "walking" off the downhill chock" so, always use 4 chocks, two on each side, in front of and behind the tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X Chock Warning.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	12043  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #11
GregH.

So, the Harbor Freight ones seem the way to go... I've got 4 wheels, one for each wheel? Or just one per side, or one front and back per side?

Thanks again, the responses have all been great!

Greg
GregH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #12
cardinal96ss

I go one front and one back on one side.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

If I'm sitting on a property that is slanted and I've not tried to level the trailer with blocks I use a chock on the front and rear of one tire on each side. If I've leveled the trailer and one side is up on blocks, I put chocks front and back on one tire on the side that is on the ground and BAL X chocks between the tires on the other side that's on blocks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #14
Murmaids

Wow, love the idea of the rubber chocks. We had an issue in the Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan last year where our plastic chocks cracked as the TT rolled 3 feet. Lucky we were not in it. We had raised the leveling jacks to place additional Legos and she went for a spin. Note to self, never raise all four jacks on a very slight incline at the same time. It doesn't save anytime.

Mary an Ann

(A mystical creature seen on or near the water by sailors)
Murmaids is offline   Reply With Quote