Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2017, 03:44 AM   #1
xrated

Another Mod. in The Books.....

This one is a combination of two mods. The first mod was getting rid of the Trailer King tires that came on the T.H. There are enough stories out there about them, so suffice to say, they were short term tires for me and they came off the trailer with less than 400 miles on them......towed the trailer home from the dealer and towed it to Discount tire for the swap to the new Maxxis 8008 (235/80/16).

The other part of the mod was to install the TireMinder Smart TPMS system. I didn't want to clutter up the dash/windshield with several screens/monitors (besides the GPS), so I bought this one. The sensors send their signals to a trailer mounted booster, which in turn sends the signal to a receiver (mounted in the truck cab) which then sends it via Bluetooth to my Android phone. You have an app. on the phone (free app.) that displays the individual tire pressure and tire temperature. If there is an issue with one of the tires it will be displayed on the screen. The receiver (in the truck cab) will also flash an alert light and beep. You do not have to have the app open, as the receiver in the truck will "push" a notification to the phone, alerting you to a problem. Then, if the app is not on, you can start the app and see which tire and what the issue is.

When I installed the booster on the trailer, I installed it in a waterproof plastic work box and wired a switch to it to be able to turn it off when not being used. It requires 12 volt D.C. from the house battery. The receiver in the truck comes with a 1500 maH battery in it that is rechargeable. It can also be plugged into a standard USB micro plug charger and operated like that while charging in the truck. The system seems like a well thought out product and even though I haven't taken it on a road trip yet, the signal seems strong and I don't anticipate any issues.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
cardinal96ss

I like your idea of reducing the "cockpit clutter". I have put it on my list. thanks.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Very nice. How about some pictures and a review after your first trip?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
xrated

Thanks Bruce and cardinal96ss. I'm sometimes the worlds worst when it comes to taking pictures during a project. I get involved and it's like I'm a guided missle headed for the target (finishing the project). I'll try to get a few pics of the TPMS system this weekend and get them posted up. I'll skip the tires though......they are round, black, everyone has seen them!

Old 02-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #5
theallde

Used my TireMinder Smart TPMS 4-tire system last summer and it worked out great. It took away from some of the major stress while towing since I was always able to monitor the pressure and temperature. I found that the pressures were off several degrees but within the allowable +/- range.

You'll like the system ...... Don
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
busterbrown

I like the idea of declutterng with bluetooth technology. But, for me, my school of thought believes in a dededicated monitor for critical monitoring systems. Since my wife and I use Google maps almost exclusively for directions, it's nice to just look up at the TPMS monitor on the dashboard. That's the only thing that secures to the windshield via suction cup, high up below the sun visor almost at eye level. Keeps me constantly informed without thinking or pushing a button.

I did just buy a signal repeater/booster as my trailer tires are at the device's range limit. I will install it in an enclosure box along with an LED lit switch for cut parasitic power when not in use.

Would like to see a pic or two of how you mounted and wired your booster. I'm still well over 1 month out of installing it.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:04 AM   #7
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I like the idea of declutterng with bluetooth technology. But, for me, my school of thought believes in a dededicated monitor for critical monitoring systems. Since my wife and I use Google maps almost exclusively for directions, it's nice to just look up at the TPMS monitor on the dashboard. That's the only thing that secures to the windshield via suction cup, high up below the sun visor almost at eye level. Keeps me constantly informed without thinking or pushing a button.

I did just buy a signal repeater/booster as my trailer tires are at the device's range limit. I will install it in an enclosure box along with an LED lit switch for cut parasitic power when not in use.

Would like to see a pic or two of how you mounted and wired your booster. I'm still well over 1 month out of installing it.
I'll get some pictures up by this coming weekend. Thanks for sharing the info guys.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
xrated

Updated with a few pics.....

This is the Receiver/Transmitter that is in a cradle with a window mount suction cup inside the cab of my truck....rear window....

This one is of the Booster/Switch that I installed in a waterproof plastic box and mounted on the frame "A" arm up close to the front of the trailer. All plastic so that there is no possibility of metal interference from a metal box.

Side view of the plastic box trying to show the waterproof switch on the side of it. I can turn the booster off when the trailer is parked...

And of course, one of the wheel transmitters....

Old 03-03-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
cardinal96ss

Thanks for the pics. Why your frame isn't rusty or even dirty yet. Get that machine on the road!
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #10
busterbrown

Clean install on your trailer. Good job. I'm doing it similar but using the passthrough storage as my mounting location. The EEZTIRE booster/repeater is much smaller.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:02 AM   #11
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal96ss View Post
Thanks for the pics. Why your frame isn't rusty or even dirty yet. Get that machine on the road!
Next month.......Easter weekend. One track day at Barber Motorsports Track, then we move over to Little Talladaga for Sunday. Two days.....two setups! Having the StrapTek pullups and the LevelMate Pro will be nice too.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #12
MikeD3534

Check this out. A lot less complex. www.fobo.com
MikeD3534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:27 AM   #13
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD3534 View Post
Not sure what that link is to, but it doesn't work.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #14
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Think you may have copied the incorrect link.

Try This https://my-fobo.com/

Just another TPMS using an APP and bluetooth
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #15
MikeD3534

Less expensive. Easier to install. Very simple operation.

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOTIRE
MikeD3534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #16
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Less expensive. Easier to install. Very simple operation.

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOTIRE
Be careful and as stated earlier, read about all functions. These seem to be toys for say bicycles, go carts, etc. Unless I am missing something, which does happen, their largest system the "plus" ad indicates 87 PSI which I assume is max?? other models are 50 and below. Most of use are running our tires cold at 80,95,110 PSI. So if true that 87 PSI is max even the "Plus" model will not work. Possibly a car
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #17
xrated

I start out at 80 psi cold pressure, which will certainly exceed the 87 psi of the tire plus. And the tire plus is $229. I also don't see a booster for their system, which may or may not cause receiver issues.....it most likely will depend on sensor battery strength, length of the towed trailer, other radio frequency noise in the area. The tire minder system isn't hard to install, I just made it more complicated/thorough, than most folks would. The booster is waterproof, I installed it in a waterproof box on top of that. I also made it where the booster could be turned off with a switch (also waterproof), probably most folks would just unclip the alligator clip that came on the booster power lead wires. The receiver/transmitter that is mounted in the cab has a lithium ion battery, so no worries about changing batteries there either, just charge it before the trip or plug it into a USB charger while travelling, it works while plugged in.

thank for posting it, but it certainly isn't the one that I would choose or use.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:07 AM   #18
xrated

Another busy weekend doing mods on the T.H. I started off Friday by contorting my old body into the baggage compartment too install the Progressive Industries EMS. HW50C. I made the decision long ago to put the system between the load side of the transfer switch and the breaker box. This location protects everything in the T.H. downstream of the transfer switch, even when running on Generator power. Some folks install the E.M.S. ahead of the transfer switch and that is their preference, but it doesn't protect your camper from issues if on Generator power. Install went smooth, but I have to say, there isn't a lot of room in the E.M.S. for making the connections, especially with very stiff #6 ga. wire. The rubber covered SOOW 6/4 cable is much easier to work with.

Sunday brought out beautiful weather in E. TN and temps in the mid 60s...A perfect time to crawl back into the baggage compartment and take down a mostly useless incandescent light fixture located in one corner of the compartment instead of centered in the bay. I had ordered a pair of LED double fixtures from Amazon and put one in the bathroom last weekend. This one was destined for the baggage compartment. I also bought a pair of three way switches, wall spacers, and faceplates, along with a length of three conductor wire so that the light could be wired and controlled from two different locations. The baggage compartment has access from the outside of course, but you can also access it by lifting the end of the queen bed. So, now there is a switch mounted to the side of the bed frame wall, as well as a switch right inside the door for the compartment.

The only other mod that I may do sometime this year is too install a Lippert double under chassis storage tray. That one is going to be modified (cut in half) so that both trays are on the same side of the T.H. I would like to have some storage area for everything electrical (shore power cord...both a 50' and a 30', an adapter for my dogbone, and maybe an extension cord). The other tray would be everything water related (water hose, flow meter, water filter canister and spare filter, and pressure regulator). This mod is definitely going to require some planning, measuring (measure twice...cut once), and precise execution to make it work. I'll also have to figure out a way to lock both trays.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:13 AM   #19
Hodgy

I have not heard the stories about Trailer King Tires, what's up ?

Failures ?

Wear out quickly ?

What ?

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:34 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Click on the "SEARCH" button in the bar along the top of every forum webpage, type in "TRAILER KING TIRES" and click on the tab. You'll get 6 pages of forum threads (far too much information to rehash here). Then click on the "SEARCH" button again and type in "CHINA BOMB" and you'll get 3 pages of forum threads. Again, a lot of information to answer your questions.

Once you read those threads, judge for yourself whether you want to purchase tires with a questionable quality or whether you want to "upgrade" to a better, more reliable tire. The choice is entirely up to you. Some people never give their tires a thought, many of them never have a problem, but on heavier trailers, many have experienced extensive damage to their trailer when using Trailer King Tires.

Again, take a look at the available information and make your own assessment of whether they are the "tire for you".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod