Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
Mandolin

Keystone paneling supplier?

My fairly new trailer really needs more cupboards/shelving, and when they laid the trailer out they left a nice open area where I can build some. Looking at the trailer construction, the cabinet frames/doors look to be alder, and I can, with a bunch of trial-and-error, match the stain and get fairly close.

What I can't do, though, is match the (faux) grain on the inset panels. Staining plywood, even alder or birch, is just not going to look right. Anyone ever get more paneling from Keystone or an outside supplier that matches?
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Since your signature indicates a 2017 MY trailer, Keystone would still have sheets of this pattern. Here's the problem, you will have to buy it in full sheets and pay the shipping. The sheets will come in a crate built from scrap lumber and that makes for a HEAVY parcel that will have to come by truck. $$$ from factory to your door. if Keystone has "seam tape" to match in a width wide enough, that might be a better alternative, otherwise I would opt for your first choice.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Can you not find a veneer that is close to the grain in what you are trying to match (doors?)? I'm positive Keystone uses an out of the can stain. Finding out which brand and what color would be the key...if they would tell you. Plus, as I'm sure you know, different woods take stain in different ways (look different). I think you can probably get it done so that 98% of the folks looking at it would never know it didn't come from the factory....or, if you're just going to build shelves, they can be a nice contrasting color to what's inside. We just did that renovating my granddaughter's new (to her) house and I was really surprised at how good it looked (my daughter and granddaughter's idea).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Mandolin

Yes, paint is another option. Or building open shelves with an alder frame and not closing off the sides or back.

With alder, you generally don't stain and then finish the wood (alder tends to take the stain in a blotchy way), the stain is added to the finish and you use multiple coats to get the depth right.

The Valspar polyurethane color "ebony chestnut" (thinned with a bit of non-red chesnut) is pretty close in about 3 coats.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Your dealer can special order doors for cabinets that are "unit specific" for your trailer. So, if you construct the cabinets to a size that will accommodate doors that are already in your trailer, your dealer can order doors to fit. Keystone will not "special build" doors to a custom size, but with some measuring, you can build cabinet units that would look to be OEM with the Keystone doors.

We ordered doors for our Springdale to close in the ends of the dinette. They were the same size as the doors on the upper cabinet, but I had to turn them sideways to get the right orientation. If I remember correctly, they were less than $30 per door, so really, for me at least, it was cheaper than trying to make them from scratch.

Check with your dealer's parts department to see if he'll help you out.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:51 AM   #6
jkohler70

You sound pickier than I. I added shelves using MDF board, stained to color match the cabinet. MDF is heavier, but the edges are cleaner. We had a big empty wardrobe next the refrigerator. The back wall is thin, so I attached stained 1X2's to the back corners using Liquid nails. I cut the 1X2's so I could "stack" the shelves on them, then attached them using angle brackets to the front and rear (front has enough wood to screw into).

Honestly, it's hard to tell without looking close that it isn't factory.

Tags
keystone