Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2017, 01:29 AM   #21
Olsen29

In the picture above, I can't see how the diaganal locks help this type of Jack. Maybe length wise it would help you​. But great set up. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #22
jkohler70

I attempted to use Safety Struts, but the tubes connecting the bumper to the frame proved too thin. The directions were to tighten the self-tapping bolts to 100 ft-lbs. There isn't enough steel. Once I got to 30 ft-lbs, the bolts just turned and the threads slipped.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohler70 View Post
I attempted to use Safety Struts, but the tubes connecting the bumper to the frame proved too thin. The directions were to tighten the self-tapping bolts to 100 ft-lbs. There isn't enough steel. Once I got to 30 ft-lbs, the bolts just turned and the threads slipped.
Your experience is typical of today's "boastful advertising" and failure of many users to read the small print. Safety Struts are designed to work on "substantial steel" bumper supports. They simply can't make a "silk purse from a sow's ear" when used on 16ga mild steel tubing that's commonly found on today's ultra-light and lite trailers. When the frame manufacturer cuts 30% of the weight out of the frame, that's 30% less steel for the self tapping screws to catch. Think of blowing your nose on a single ply of Scott's toilet paper vs blowing your nose on a 2-ply Scott paper towel. While they're both made of paper, they are substantially different and depending on intended use, are not interchangeable....

It's the same with rear bumpers on today's trailers. While Safety Struts work well on an "ADEQUATE" rear bumper, they can't make the "tin foil" tent strong enough to support the whole turkey.

ADDED: Keystone recently changed frame manufacturers on some of their "ultra-light" trailers. BAL is now manufacturing the frames (if I read the reports correctly). This is just my opinion, but in the past, Lippert has been a supplier of "mediocre" frames. They aren't "garbage" but they have some "elementary welds" and some pretty glaring quality control issues. They have gotten better in recent years, but the "Lippert reputation" for second class products still hangs on. Looking at the comparison of the Ultra light frames to the past models, I think this: If Keystone is wanting frames so light that Lippert won't even produce them, then, WOW, they must be some pretty "at the very edge" in terms of weight and strength. Trying to add extras to today's ultra-light trailers isn't the same as adding those same extras to yesterday's "heavy weight frames"..... Definitely something to "ponder" if you're wanting to hang a hundred pounds of bikes off a bumper that was designed to be strong enough to carry a 35 pound spare tire for 12 months. Remember, after the warranty ends, it's no longer Keystone, Lippert, BAL or the dealer's problem...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:22 AM   #24
jkohler70

I received a nice response from the company. Somehow I misread the directions. Possibly because I've resisted giving into reading glasses! They only recommend 15 - 20 ft. lbs., so I'm going to give another go at getting them mounted.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #25
tech740

I really like mine mounted to the king pin. I have a short bed and have no issues with 4 bikes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170608_115644608_HDR.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	13438  
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, rack