Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
hdxbonez

My mods for full timing in extreme cold weather

So here I am, fully engaged in a Northern New Hampshire winter, and living full time in my Cougar fifth wheel. I thought I'd share a list of my modifications and additions that are making my stay comfortable and enjoyable. The camper is located on land that I own, and where I will be building a home next spring when the weather breaks. I already had a septic system and electric/internet on the property, and had a well installed last summer. The well pump is submerged, and the pressure tank is located in an insulated and heated shed.

Propane to the camper is still supplied through the 2 original 30# bottles, although I have 2 additional ones so that there is always a ready supply. I added Powerblankets to them so that propane will always flow at any ambient temperature. Water is supplied through a heated Camco hose. I made a rigid PVC septic drain because a flex hose becomes too brittle in extreme cold. Ive added rigid insulation boards to the underbelly, which I shared about in another thread in this section. Ultraheat holding tank heat pads are installed on the forward black and grey holding tanks. Another big help has been the addition of two 4" fans that direct warmed air into the under belly. One is located in the front of the unit, the other is located in the base cabinet where my water lines exit the basement to supply the sink and water heater. The furnace also provides additional warm air to the underbelly, but its not enough to prevent freezing in below zero temperatures. I originally only added a single 4" fan, but had some minor freezing of my water lines when it got to 15 below zero one night. Ive since added the second fan and all has been well. Ive added a 40 watt appliance bulb and reflector to the fridge compartment to keep the refrigerant from freezing. I also keep an oil filled radiator on low in the garage section of the camper to help keep the temperature balanced. The washing machine hookups are located in the garage as well, and I dont use them, so I installed shutoffs near the water heater so that there would be no freezing issues beyond that point. Humidity hadn't been an issue, although I do have a small dehumidifier if it becomes one. The shades stay drawn and the roof vents have insulating covers in them.

So far, all has been going well. I keep my thermostat on 67 when I'm up and about, 60 when I'm sleeping, and 58 when I leave for work. Propane use has averaged about $5 a day so far, with electricity about the same. All in all, Ive been impressed with how well the Cougar holds heat, it has been comfortably into subzero temperatures. Fulltiming in extreme weather requires a little more effort, but so far has been enjoyable.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
66joej

That sounds about a normal winter here in Canada.
Sounds like you are doing a good job of adjusting to your challenges.
Good Luck for the rest of winter. Should get better.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
Alpine

Thank you for taking the time to explain your modifications... well done, well done!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
kampfitt

Have you put any skirting on to stop the wind and help keeping the heat in the basement?
kampfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
hdxbonez

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfitt View Post
Have you put any skirting on to stop the wind and help keeping the heat in the basement?
I did not add a skirt to ground because there was a chance that I may have had to move the camper, but I did add insulation to the bottom, detailed here-

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=26660

Tags
mod, mods