Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Mandolin

Insulation and moisture control in pass-through

My new trailer has pass-through storage at the front. It is uninsulated at the top and sides (and probably the bottom, too, but I can't actually tell that). Above the pass-through space is the head of the bed and two small closets.

Most of my camping is in fairly temperate weather (call it min 30°, max 95°), but it can be damp (coast) or cool and rainy (mountain spring). The dealer says Keystone insulates walls and ceilings and I forget what R value the dealer claimed but I suspect it was quite low (maybe R4?).

Certainly when the trailer is closed up and it is much cooler outside than inside the windows in the trailer ("R0" holes in an insulated wall) show quite a bit of condensation in the morning. Opening a vent and a window prevent that, but also mean it is much cooler in the trailer.

Two people sleeping on top of the mattress generates a lot of moisture, and the moisture generated in a warmish living area will condense when it hits the cooler pass-through and potentially grow mold. So is there any point to insulating the top of the pass-through, if nothing else than from a moisture control standpoint?
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
Tbos

Insulation and moisture control in pass-through

With the 2 TTs I've owned I have not had a moisture problem in the front pass through. I had a humidity absorbing container in there for awhile and it never collected anything. The floor, walls, and doors are insulated. You could add some styrofoam insulation to the pass through ceiling if desired and seal up everything real well if your concerned. To find where you could seal leave the light on in the pass through and have the lights off in the TT. If you see light seal it. I do run a dehumidifier in the main area of the TT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #3
GaryWT

Re: Insulation and moisture control in pass-through

When we are in the trailer, we always leave the bathroom vent open some and have never had a moisture problem and it has never effected the heat or AC.

As for the bedroom and the pass through we have never had an issue and have camped a few times when the temps have been in the 20's.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
Mandolin

Re: Insulation and moisture control in pass-through

I think I am just going to keep an eye on the area under the mattress and see if it develops any problems.

Sealing air leaks between the two areas (trailer and pass through) was a great idea, will do that as well.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote