Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2016, 04:50 AM   #21
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokedintheeye View Post
I like the idea of just plugging into the side of the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Simple to wire into the battery box

https://www.amazon.com/Zamp-Solar-RV...=zamp+bulkhead

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #22
spokedintheeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
Simple to wire into the battery box

https://www.amazon.com/Zamp-Solar-RV...=zamp+bulkhead
That's exactly what is built into the side of my trailer. And a cheap piece of equipment. Good idea maybe I will just buy one and move it to the battery boxes. The new Jayco have those installed on the frame just below the batteries. Still too bad that my set up feels like such a waste.
spokedintheeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #23
bill-e

have you measured it with the shore power disconnected with the panels plugged into the jack?

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 09-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #24
spokedintheeye

Yesterday I opened my electric slide, electric awning and had used the electric jack on battery power. I didn't check the voltage in the batteries then. I removed the fuse near the batteries thinking that would separate the batteries from shore power. Then used shore power for the night. This morning I checked and the batteries were showing 13.6 volts. And this also showed at the built in solar connection. My previous trailer would have been disconnected from shore power by removing this fuse and no power would get from the batteries to anything in the TT. I turned off shore power this morning. Fuse is still out, but batteries are still powering the trailer. I've been using a TT for a long time and feel like a newbie with these differences. I'm trying to attach a picture of the fuse so everyone can see what I'm talking about. Can anyone tell me if this fuse should separate the batteries from powering my TT?
Old 09-30-2016, 08:36 AM   #25
spokedintheeye

Old 09-30-2016, 09:38 AM   #26
bill-e

I have no idea, maybe chuckster can answer that but that looks like a fuse to a slide or something, not to the 12v battery connection to the camper which I believe is on the frame in the lower right of the pic.. Does your camper not have a battery cut out switch in the passthrough?

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 09-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #27
spokedintheeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
I have no idea, maybe chuckster can answer that but that looks like a fuse to a slide or something, not to the 12v battery connection to the camper which I believe is on the frame in the lower right of the pic.. Does your camper not have a battery cut out switch in the passthrough?
Good info. Now that I take close look at it. The truck connection enters one side and the fuse is on the wires coming out the other. I don't have a cut off in the pass through.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Slide motor fuses are usually in the fuse panel inside. Fuses at the tongue can be for the electric tongue jack. I have seen a fuse in the main feed from the battery too.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #29
SFGiantsFan925

Re: Built in solar connection

I am a huge fan of having solar on my RV. I had a 200 watt system on my last TT. I was excited to see the "wired for solar" connection on my new Keystone. It seemed impossible to find any information about that the connection meant. What size wire? Controller? Fuse? Its not written in the manual, and nobody seems to have an answer. I cant follow the wores from the connection since they are in my wall of my thru compartment in the front. I have no idea where the wires go.

After all this, I just bypassed and setup my own quick connect system with a direct connection to the battery, to a controller, to my panel. I highly suggest this as it has worked great and is a much better solution and probably get a better charge than through some random connection.

Until I can find a definitive explanation of what is in the wall and connected to this connection I will continue to use my own setup.

If anyone want to know, RENOGY makes a great folding, portable solar solution that you don't have to permanently connect to the roof. After using this I like it a lot more than my previous TT that had a permanent system on the roof. This gives you flexibility to move the panels into sun when they would normally be in the shade.
SFGiantsFan925 is offline   Reply With Quote