Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
davvalh

Electrical Plug

I have a 2014 Springdale fifthwheel.
The shore power cord is on the rear and has to be pushed into a small compartment that houses the electrical breaker panel.
It is a real pain to push the cord back in.
Has anyone converted this type to a plug in where the cord is just plugged into a outlet and carried separate.
davvalh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Marinco (and some of their competetors) market a 30 amp RV conversion kit to completely eliminate the "mouse hole" and convert the existing power cord to a "detachable shore power cable". The procedure is very well documented in the Marinco instructions and in several threads on this forum.

http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-30ARVK...ywords=marinco

Many members here have made the conversion. Here's a photo of my completed setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0633.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	8988  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

FYI there are two styles of the 30A plug and shore cord. One is called 3 blade and the other is a "twist lock". The 3 blade just pushes on, and the "twist lock" can be locked onto the plug, hence its name. I am most likely going to install an internal surge protector and change my cord to the twist lock style, so I can use the cord storage space for the protector.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Or you can replace the mouse-hole with a larger hatch that makes it easier to get the cord in and out and you don't have to find another place to store that heavy cord. JM2˘, Hank

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
GaryWT

I think a lot has to do with how large the area is you are pushing the cord into. Mine goes in pretty easy but I know people have converted and they like the setup. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
wowchad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Or you can replace the mouse-hole with a larger hatch that makes it easier to get the cord in and out and you don't have to find another place to store that heavy cord. JM2˘, Hank

I need to replace mine, both the cord & "mouse-hole" and thought about the twist style 30amp, but it's such a convenience stowing the cord inside the original area vs. always carrying around that big heavy cord.
I've never seen the big square cover, but I sure like the idea!
I just wonder if I could run & store an even longer cord...
Would you post a picture of the inside?
My kids have pushed the end of the cord/plug totally inside & I had to fish it out once which was a bit of a chore while on vacation :-/
2009 LOFT -HOPEFULLY-
wowchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
cynjon

One of the first things I did to my new 27RKS was to eliminate the "mouse hole" and install one of the Marinco twist-lock kits...love it. At the same time, I installed a hard-wired surge protector in the space where the cable used to be stored. One of the main reasons I went with a detachable cord, is that I can simply disconnect the shore power cord at my house and not have to fish it through my privacy fence. I have a separate cord that I use when traveling/camping. Very happy with the current setup.
cynjon is offline   Reply With Quote