Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #21
apachewolf

We have had DISH at this spot (Arizona) for the past 15 years. Initially we traveled with a large dish to get sat tv in the camper, but 5-6 years ago I purchased a new combo of a Winegard Pathway antenna and a receiver. The thing here is that the antenna once hooked up and turned on find the sat by itself no running around outside trying to adjust the dish. I am not sure if the Pathway is still available but there a similar antennas from Winegard. As far as Dish Network, there have been a few small problems but mainly we have been satisfied with the service. It is better than "Direct TV" from what I have heard. If we are out of range all that is needed is a call to Dish to set it up for a new location at no cost.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #22
larryflew

Thanks for the replies. Guess we will stay with DTV due to recording 2 at a time while watching a recorded show.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #23
Old soldier
Gone Traveling

We use Dish at home and in our Montana (We op[ted no not include a TV kin our 1964 Fireball camper). We started with the manually directed antenna, but transitioned to a new, “auto) antenna. Couldn’t get and hold a signal without CONSTANT realigning/resetting the receiver. Went from V11 receiver to Wally with WiFi adapter. Switched out every component, but still a failure. Turned out the problem wasn’t the receivers, antennas, cables, etc. Problem was Keystone. They put a di-plexer into them wiring which everyone understands won’t work with satellite antenna-TV hookups (sometimes will connect, but loses signal continually). Splitters (or di-plexers and tri-plexers) to hook up antenna, cable, and satellite signals reduce costs for Keystone, but will make you pull out your hair. Our 2018 HC 310re has two satellite inputs for the three TV (who needs 3 TVs? Get a life.) setup has the standard wall plugs in the entertainment centers. For dependable satellite (any brand) you need a dedicated cable from outside input to wall terminal. You cannot provide signals without splitters; you must bypass the Keystone system by running interior cable from each outside terminal directly to the wall outlet behind your TV. Camping world (my local dealer) ran all new cables to two TVs from my two exterior inputs, dumping the di-plexers. We didn’t bother with the belly TV setup, because we don’t travel/camp to watch TV. Dish antennas will downlink both the East and West satellites. Understand Direct doesn’t...but I have no experience with Direct TV. If you want TV in 2 rooms, get an antenna with two outlets to your camper. Otherwise, you will have at least one splitter in the mix...and then it gets ugly. Some folks use rooftop antennas (I wouldn’t advise that if you ever camp under trees) our the big boogers on tripods that receive power from an electrical outlet with fewer or no problems: again, no experience there. But too big, too much work anchoring, etc. We use the newer (carefree??? Or such name...it’s locked up in the belly right now) with 2 outlets for 2v TVs (although we typically don’t watch TV in bed...better entertainment option). Now that the cables go directly to each TV, no problemo. I also use the Weingard device that aligns the antenna although supposedly not needed in auto antennas. There is dispute at Weingard Outdoors whether you aim the antenna with the handle or the outlets pointing South...the tester relieves any hassle. Tells you signal strength on the TV (in addition the annoying squeak) and helps if you can’t get all 3 satellites from the antenna position (we use the collapsable tripod with a milk jug filled with water to anchor in high winds). Good luck.
Old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #24
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old soldier View Post
Turned out the problem wasn’t the receivers, antennas, cables, etc. Problem was Keystone. They put a di-plexer into them wiring which everyone understands won’t work with satellite antenna-TV hookups (sometimes will connect, but loses signal continually). Splitters (or di-plexers and tri-plexers) to hook up antenna, cable, and satellite signals reduce costs for Keystone, but will make you pull out your hair. Our 2018 HC 310re has two satellite inputs for the three TV (who needs 3 TVs? Get a life.) setup has the standard wall plugs in the entertainment centers. For dependable satellite (any brand) you need a dedicated cable from outside input to wall terminal. You cannot provide signals without splitters; you must bypass the Keystone system by running interior cable from each outside terminal directly to the wall outlet behind your TV.
I understood that was the purpose of the little coax loop in the TV area -- to give you access to the shore connector before it reached the splitters. But perhaps your rig didn't come with one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6946.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	24572  
Old 12-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #25
larryflew

Our Alpine has connections in the water area. 2 connectors with one labeled sat1 and the other sat2/ant/cable. Both go to the tv. Wires in the compartment labeled sat1 and sat2 coming from rooftop winegard. One wire says antenna and is the only one that goes through amplifier and splitter. We carry a coax for cable hook up.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #26
Rber1234

I’ve had Dish for my RV for 2 yrs now and every time I’ve had a problem the call to Dish was taken care of quickly by someone more than happy to help. No complaints at all with Dish.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote