Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
jbrosecity

using 50A AND 30A on the same pedestal

This question has probably been asked before, but it is difficult to search for the topic because of the number of 30A vs 50A questions. So here goes... simple enough. We have a very large space in our RV Park and like many others we have a semi permanent Keystone 5er with 50A *and* a Class C Motorhome that is 30A with plenty of room to park both in the same space.

So, if we are living in the 5er and merely storing the Class C on the lot until our next trip, I presume there is no problem whatever to leave the Class C plugged into the 30A outlet with just the converter running to keep batteries charged, while using normal appliances and such in the 5er. Agreed?

But the real question is, and this will likely spark some debate, if we want to have friends come to visit and want to offer them accommodations in the Class C for a couple days... then what limitations does everyone need to observe? Obviously we should probably not all be running all three A/Cs at the same time *and* using other appliances like both microwaves, coffee pots, toasters, etc. I understand that we have 100A total power supply to the pedestal, correct? So if we all understand that limitation and are careful about using too many power hungry appliances at the same time, can we do this without problems?

And if by chance, someone forgets and too many appliances are drawing current at the same time, what happens? Do both 30A and 50A breakers blow? Or one or the other? Or what?

Thanks in advance for advice on this
www.Wind-seeker.com
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It depends on how the park wired the pedestals. In many parks, they wire the 50 amp plugs and branch the 30 amp plug off one leg. Usually they wire the odd pedestal 30 amp plugs to the black leg and the even pedestal 30 amp plugs to the red leg. That "evens out the 30 amp load" between both of the main trunk 50 amp circuits.

So, you may find a voltage drop on one leg of the 50 amp plug when the 30 amp load is at peak.

In other campgrounds, they run two separate systems, one for 50 amp power and one for 30 amp power. That's much more expensive, so my guess is that's not what you'll find.

Your campground electrician should know how the pedestals are wired.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrosecity View Post
...I understand that we have 100A total power supply to the pedestal, correct? So if we all understand that limitation and are careful about using too many power hungry appliances at the same time, can we do this without problems?

And if by chance, someone forgets and too many appliances are drawing current at the same time, what happens? Do both 30A and 50A breakers blow? Or one or the other? Or what?

Thanks in advance for advice on this
Maybe, maybe not, it depends on how the pedestal is supplied. Maybe the park can answer, I sure can't.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
PaulRod

Maybe the park would have something to say about it as the increase in people will increase the parks expenses.
PaulRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRod View Post
Maybe the park would have something to say about it as the increase in people will increase the parks expenses.
That's an issue of "who pays the electric bill" not an issue of "electrical capacity of the campground grid"... Two entirely different questions. Who's paying has nothing to do with melting the wiring by overloading the system wiring configuration.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
KSH

You just need to ask if they are separate circuits or not. Either way, I don't think you should have a problem. Unless the 30 is connected behind the 50, that would be an issue where the total load would trip the 50.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #7
jbrosecity

thanks guys... I'll talk to park management. Not something we intend to do often... maybe if one of the boys comes down with his girlfriend, or something. It would only be for a night or two. If the park charges a modest fee for 2 extra people for a night or two, it's not a problem. It sounds like as long as both coaches together don't exceed 100A we should be ok in any case, but I'll see what more I can find out about it
www.Wind-seeker.com
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote