Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
Spenzly

Black/Gray Dump

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some information. So I just purchased a 2015 Keystone Cougar High Country 326 SRX. On the left side of the camper, there is two waste dump connections for dumping. One is about half way and the other is towards the back of the camper. In the cross over storage, there is a section that lifts up and there is the handles for the gray and black dump valves. The confusing part is the dump tube that is in the middle of the camper, also has a lever. I was wondering if anyone could provide info on why do i have two dump tubes and and what's that other lever for.
Spenzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
LHaven

This is common enough. Your rig apparently came with two gray water tanks (usually one for the kitchen, one for the bathroom). The front pipe and handle would be for the kitchen (which should be frontwards in the trailer), and the rear pipe and two handles would be for the bathroom -- one handle for black, the other for gray, but out the same pipe.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
Spenzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaven View Post
This is common enough. Your rig apparently came with two gray water tanks (usually one for the kitchen, one for the bathroom). The front pipe and handle would be for the kitchen (which should be frontwards in the trailer), and the rear pipe and two handles would be for the bathroom -- one handle for black, the other for gray, but out the same pipe.
So i was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure since the rear dump tube has a smaller pipe that goes in to the pipe you connect to.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
LHaven

Yup, that's the gray water pipe. They don't bother to do that on the front pipe because they have to give you the same large size pipe to hook your hose up to even though you won't be transporting "solids" through it. I just bought a cheap Camco cap that has a garden hose outlet on it and I use that for the front drain.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
Spenzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaven View Post
Yup, that's the gray water pipe. They don't bother to do that on the front pipe because they have to give you the same large size pipe to hook your hose up to even though you won't be transporting "solids" through it. I just bought a cheap Camco cap that has a garden hose outlet on it and I use that for the front drain.
So do i have to hook up to that rear pipe also or can i just do it all from the pipe closer to the front that does the shower gray and black?
Old 05-05-2019, 01:03 AM   #6
LHaven

(Sorry, I assumed the combination gray/black pipe was the rear one, like on my rig.)

No, you eventually have to hook up the rear one, or that gray tank will never get emptied. They're not interconnected.

For long-term camping, I took a (new) blue sewer elbow and bored a hole for a male hose bulkhead fitting, fed it through from the inside and caulked it all up nicely inside. Now I can hook up my gray water hose between that fitting (needs a separate F/F hose connector) and the hose outlet on my dump pipe cap on the gray-water-only pipe. When I'm using the sewer fitting without the hose connected for a short-term stop, I cap the bulkhead with a hose cap to keep it gas tight.