Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #21
Lawdog

How to run cable from front storage to pinbox?

FTWing,

My compliments on your work here. I have the same RVS camera. I've almost finished, but have run into a problem.

Camera is mounted on the back and the cable is run all the way to my front storage. How did you get yours to your pinbox from there? I don't see any obvious way to run the cable.

Love your bracket idea for the quick disconnect. Probably going to steal that idea!

Thanks.

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:57 AM   #22
esmoglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
My wife isn't thrilled about spotting either so I purchased a Garmin wireless camera for my RV760 GPS. I also purchased the 50' extension cable so I could mount the transmitter in the front storage compartment of our 5th wheel.
I installed it on the weekend in approximately 3 hours. I mounted the camera on the license plate bracket and ran the wire along the underside of the 5th wheel. I used wire loom to protect the wire. I also shrink wrapped any connections that would be exposed to the elements.
Here are a few pictures. It seems to work quite well.

Now that is something I may do as well becasue I have the same GPS unit and it seems super easy to install without drilling holes in the RV. The small black box what is that?
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #23
FTWingRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog View Post
FTWing,

My compliments on your work here. I have the same RVS camera. I've almost finished, but have run into a problem.

Camera is mounted on the back and the cable is run all the way to my front storage. How did you get yours to your pinbox from there? I don't see any obvious way to run the cable.

Love your bracket idea for the quick disconnect. Probably going to steal that idea!

Thanks.

I don't have a picture right at this moment, but I can get one if it would help.. but basically, inside the front storage compartment, above the door, I lined up a straight shot to the pin, then drilled a 4" hole in the paneling. There was some play between the steel frame and the plastic, but when I hitched the camper to the truck and retracted the front jacks I gained an extra inch or so. I then used a fish tape going from the pin back.. it felt there was some foam I had to push thru, and it was a bit of a pain. Luckily my son was over and helped. Once I found the end of the fish thru the hole I cut, it was easy enough to guide the wire back.

Hope this helps, this was probably one of the biggest PITA about the install..LOL
Good luck!
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #24
Lawdog

Thanks--I'd I'd love to see whatever pics you can provide. I tried fishing from the pinbox going diagonally across to the front storage compartment on the driver's side of the fifth wheel. There is a pretty big hole in the steel way over in that corner, and at the very top, of the front storage. No dice. The fish tape got really hung up between the fiberglass skin and the insulation.

I'm trying to figure out where you meant... In the center top of the front storage, looking forward from the inside, I see there is a panel right underneath the control box for the auto level system. It has that laminate material on it and it feels like you could drill into it. Is that where you drilled--kind of by the green arrow in my pic below? When you say you drilled a 4" hole, did you mean you cut a big circle hole?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top front storage 1 (2).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	10609  

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Old 06-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #25
Lawdog

Update:

We figured it out. I went between the trailer skin and the camper. Short version: I cut out a 4" rectangle in the area of the picture above, basically where the green arrow is. It is a stout moisture barrier fabric covering what is just thin plywood. I did it not dead-center from the back of the pinbox, but at the driver's side edge. I used a camera to photo the area underneath the trailer skin to scope it out a bit. To get the trailer skin --the underbelly up front if you will--freed up a bit, I unattached it near the pinbox. It is basically ABS plastic. I took out the four screws by the pinbox and another four where the little front storage door holder is under the front bed. This allowed the skin to droop a bit. Then, we began the tedious process of fishing the tape through. Nothing... nothing... then suddenly, it just went through. There's a gap in there somewhere. Another trick was getting the big harness end though there. We used a prybar from inside the front strorage through my cut hole and gently flexed the trailer skin down a bit to allow the harness to be pulled through. Definitely a two-person job. The curve of the trsailer skin just above the fronte storage door is what is making this difficult, not really any structure.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have run the cable from the front to the back and had a smaller end to go through. I have taken many pictures and may post up my install in a separate thread.

Tonight, we do the truck. Should be pretty easy. Famous last words.

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Old 06-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #26
KSH

I used a cheap wireless camera from Costco. Glued Velcro to it and the trailer, ran the power wire to the rear lights ( not the reverse lights, that way I can see what's behind me at any time) ran the wire down the side with packing tape. A little ghetto but it works great.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #27
Texascoastalfish

I bought a Wireless ESICAM from Amazon for $ 199. Uses an app on your phone.
Used a go pro mount instead of the included magnet and mounted in high center on the back wall between the windows. 7.5 hours of run time then a USB or wired charger.
Just un click it when I m done. Can use it for a motion activated camera as well at night. It can alert you with an email if motion is detected . Records with a 7 GB Tiff card (supplied).. Full HD or SD if desired. Accidently left it on the back during a recent rain event work just fine. It lived up to its "waterproof " claim.

Texascoastalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #28
Lawdog

Success. All done and working. The truck was easy. Punched a hole in the bed, above where my trailer brakes plugged in. Ran the wire underneath the truck alongside other wires all the way to the engine compartment. Ran into the cab through an existing area of other wiring. It entered the cab just adjacent to the brake pedal. From there, ran across the cab to the passenger side and drew power from a cluster of wires at the edge of the dash, basically beside the passenger side mirror. There was an unused wire in that cluster that tested hot on ignition. Spliced and soldered in and drilled a new ground hole and all done. The long wire to the monitor hides out in a neat coil in a hollowed-out area in the front of the center console. I will pull it out when needed. I plan to set up a friction mount to set up the screen on the dash when towing. Will report back once I've done my first trip.

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Old 06-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #29
FTWingRiders

Lawdog... congrats on getting the install done!! Looking forward to some pics if you start a thread, which I'm sure will be appreciated. It's definitely a pain, and a 2 person job, but well worth it in the end. I'm sure wireless works very well for some, but I just didn't have much luck with it and am glad I hardwired it.

I really enjoy being able to get a visual on all four sides as I travel down the road, and backing.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #30
Lawdog

I neglected to ever report back here. Did another trip today in windy canyons with the atv trailer following the fiver. The camera makes this stress free, as I can see the trailer and traffic around me. Love it.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Old 07-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #31
Lawdog

Here's the basic view.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Old 07-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #32
FTWingRiders

Looks good! I really like mine, it's nice not having a huge blind spot.