Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
TShelby

Can't mount AC on roof

My 2016 Cougar Xlite 29RES has a pre-wired ceiling vent in the master bedroom for a second A/C unit. However, there is a black water tank vent in the roof that is too close to the air vent to fit any brand of air conditioner. Have any of you ever run into this problem, and what did Keystone do about the design flaw?
TShelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

That seems odd. Any chance of posting a picture?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
TShelby

pictures of vent

I have put pics in a zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip Trailer.zip (142 Bytes, 300 views)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I can't open the file. Currently using an apple ipad.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:15 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TShelby View Post
I have put pics in a zip file
Looks like you may have zipped an empty folder named trailer

May want to try and upload just the two pictures
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
TShelby

attempted new pictures

Roof vent placed too close to sewer vent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-19 17.41.35.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	12094  
Old 03-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I may be wrong but it looks like the A/C shroud should clear the vent cap. Measure from the foam seal on the bottom of the unit and then measure back from the vent. Foam seal will be just bigger than the vent opening (14"X14")

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #8
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I may be wrong but it looks like the A/C shroud should clear the vent cap. Measure from the foam seal on the bottom of the unit and then measure back from the vent. Foam seal will be just bigger than the vent opening (14"X14")

I agree.

I'm currently in the process of adding a third ac unit (long story) and have been on my roof a lot lately. I don't have specific measurements right now, but that looks like you should be OK. Have you measured your existing ac unit?

Worst case, I would modify the vent to make it lower profile with a 90 or something. You don't need it to be high-flow.

I'll look at mine tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
TShelby

AC wont fit

Yes I have measured. The clearance needed is 14 in. from the center-line of the roof vent. I have 12 in. The length of the unit goes past the sewer vent by 6 in. and the smallest AC unit will land right on the middle of the Sewer vent. Sewer vent cannot be moved, because of constraints w/in the wall of the trailer, and the position of floor joists below the walls. My dealer says also it is impossible to mount, yet Keystone manufactured it there, pre-wired the box for 115 volt to power AC. Unbelievable.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TShelby View Post
Yes I have measured. The clearance needed is 14 in. from the center-line of the roof vent. I have 12 in. The length of the unit goes past the sewer vent by 6 in. and the smallest AC unit will land right on the middle of the Sewer vent. Sewer vent cannot be moved, because of constraints w/in the wall of the trailer, and the position of floor joists below the walls. My dealer says also it is impossible to mount, yet Keystone manufactured it there, pre-wired the box for 115 volt to power AC. Unbelievable.
Okay here goes, I understand the dealer stating that it can not be done, if I recall that pertained to all available AC units, So to me this appears to be an obvious MFG design fault From what I am aware of this is a well documented add on option for many if not all Keystone RVs.

Is the dealer willing to support you by taking this up with Keystone??
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #11
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Can't mount AC on roof

I just measured my Coleman Mach ac unit on my camper. 12-1/2" would clear that vent. In addition, I would simply cut my shroud and pan to clear it if it didn't fit (it is VERY close to missing as-is). There is no reason to not install it.

If I am reading your tape measure correctly, the center of the vent is about 7 inches back from the opening. That clears anything important in my ac unit... in case you have to cut something to clear it -- which I still think will fit without cutting.

OK... I just took a picture of a Coleman Mach 3+ that is sitting in my garage, waiting to be installed. It is 22" wide (give or take an 1/8"). This means you need 11" from the center to clear... without having to cut a notch in the ac pan (which is completely OK where that vent falls).

The shroud is very flexible and is slightly wider, but that isn't an issue either.

There should be no issue installing that. Again, if there was interference I would cut a notch... but I don't think there will be any clearance problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1277.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	12115

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof