Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #1
lifecamper

Adding Landing Gear and motor explination edit.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. What I need to know is can a gear box and motor be added to the existing landing gear now driven by the transfer bar? I only want an easy way to adjust for and inch or so. Not going to camp on the side of a mountain.LOL Thanks for all the input/opinions.

I have a 2007 Springdale 5er I am wanting to remove the transfer shaft and install a motor gear and switch on the left landing gear so they can operate separately. Hoping to make leveling much easier. Has anyone done this?
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The mod you're considering can be done. Several people on the forum have removed the "slave gear unit" and installed a motor driven unit. One consideration you might want to look into is the "small frame size" on Springdale fifth wheels. Because of the 6" and 8" chassis rails, many of them are prone to twisting. One of the reasons Keystone warned against leveling with the front jacks, was to prevent "frame twisting". In the owner's manuals "back then", they described the recommended leveling procedure be placing blocks under the wheels on the low side.

Additionally, if you do "torque the frame" you'll find that the slides won't operate properly and the doors won't open/close properly. It's ultimately your decision, and it can be done, but you may find that it does more "harm than good" since you'll probably still find that putting blocks under the wheels is the only way (or the best way) to keep the slides operating properly and the doors closing without sticking.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:25 AM   #3
WaltBennett

I replaced the single motor system on our Montana with a Bulldog two motor one several years back. I've used it to level the trailer side to side many times, but only for an inch or so difference. Never had a frame flex problem, but I may have a heavier frame than you.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:43 AM   #4
roadglide

JRJTH the best way then would be level the wheels then lower the landing gear and add blocks as needed having the legs make contact on the ground the same time normally its not more then 1 inch block needed to level a leg, That is my procedure. I see it all the time folks lower there landing gear in unlevel areas and thinking there could be frame damage.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:38 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
JRJTH the best way then would be level the wheels then lower the landing gear and add blocks as needed having the legs make contact on the ground the same time normally its not more then 1 inch block needed to level a leg, That is my procedure. I see it all the time folks lower there landing gear in unlevel areas and thinking there could be frame damage.
Your method is one easy way to accomplish the "unlevel side to side" issue. I believe you're saying that you count the holes and extend your jacks the same distance and use blocks to compensate for any difference. ????

What I do, which for me seems easier (and does the same thing), is level the trailer side to side with blocks under the tires, then just put a single jack pad under each "front jack" and extend the legs to the closest hole to the pad and lift the trailer using the jacks. It doesn't matter if one jack is 10 holes and one jack is 14 holes. The trailer frame is "level" so the jacks can be different lengths (or they can be the same length with blocks to compensate) either way, the frame remains level.

It doesn't matter if you "provide a level block for the jacks to sit on" or if you "level the jacks by extending them to touch the blocks". Both ways work.

And, yes, you're correct (I think) in saying that an "inch or so" doesn't make a difference. What does matter (I believe) is when you have 3 or 4 inches of "off level" and try to compensate by using the stabilizer jack on the rear and the landing gear jack on the front to lift that complete side of the trailer. That will cause a "bow in the middle" and twist the frame....

The "analogy" in a couple of posts is "that's how the level-up system" works.... No, it isn't quite the same. The "4 point level-up system" is mounted about 3' behind the axles and uses the landing gear jacks. The 6 point level up system is mounted about 3' behind the axles, about 3' forward of the axles and also uses the front landing gear jacks... Those "level-up" systems support the chassis frame "along the middle and ends" while the "make do" system of stabilizer jacks (not intended to support as much weight) and the landing gear system only supports the chassis frame rails at the ends.... The difference being where the frame is supported so it won't bend in the middle.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
roadglide

Thank you I know my post are a bit ambiguous may be understatement. I use a bubble level in the refrigerator to install one level in front at the landing gear switch right side and one level in front where there easy to view. I Used a bubble level in the refrigerator is that, ok place to level a trailer? I have ele scissor jacks in the rear that come up independ with the same amount force when extended for front to back support will there be a concern from side to side level in the back?
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

From what I was told, the six point level up uses the rear and middle to level the coach and then set the front pair for stability.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
landing gear