Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #1
ErickW

Can I put the awning motor in backwards?

Today we replaced the fabric on out 2011 Montana awning (Dometic electric).

After getting it replaced and rolled back up into the brackets, hit the extend switch, and nothing happened, hit the retract and it came out, but would not roll back up.

Did I somehow get the motor in the wrong way when I put it back together? I know when we rolled it up we rolled it the wrong way, so I will have to fix that, would that cause the issue?

Any suggestions/advice is welcome.

Thanks!
ErickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:42 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Was the motor “plug and play”? If you had to cut the wires then just reverse them and you’ll be good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
ErickW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Was the motor “plug and play”? If you had to cut the wires then just reverse them and you’ll be good.
I didn't need to cut any wires, just unplugged it before unrolling it before taking the old fabric off
Old 10-26-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickW View Post
Today we replaced the fabric on out 2011 Montana awning (Dometic electric).

After getting it replaced and rolled back up into the brackets, hit the extend switch, and nothing happened, hit the retract and it came out, but would not roll back up.

Did I somehow get the motor in the wrong way when I put it back together? I know when we rolled it up we rolled it the wrong way, so I will have to fix that, would that cause the issue?

Any suggestions/advice is welcome.

Thanks!
I think the part of your initial question (highlighted above) is your issue. If you rolled the awning fabric up the wrong way, then the motor would have to operate in the reverse direction to extend/retract the awning. Once your awning reaches the "fully retracted (stowed) position", then the motor will stop turning. If it was rolled up backwards, then it would actually be "fully extended" not retracted, and would stop working (at the shutoff switch limits)...

Manually extend the awning (you may need to decouple the motor to do so) and roll it up properly. That should fix your problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
MattHelm21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think the part of your initial question (highlighted above) is your issue. If you rolled the awning fabric up the wrong way, then the motor would have to operate in the reverse direction to extend/retract the awning. Once your awning reaches the "fully retracted (stowed) position", then the motor will stop turning. If it was rolled up backwards, then it would actually be "fully extended" not retracted, and would stop working (at the shutoff switch limits)...

Manually extend the awning (you may need to decouple the motor to do so) and roll it up properly. That should fix your problem.
If it is as simple is the awnings on my unit, just hold the switch in the retract position until it extends all the way and it will roll right around and retract all the way and your done. Release the switch. It will then operate as normal.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
If it is as simple is the awnings on my unit, just hold the switch in the retract position until it extends all the way and it will roll right around and retract all the way and your done. Release the switch. It will then operate as normal.
If your awnings are Lippert Solara awnings, then yup, it's really that simple. The Solara awnings don't have a limit switch at the end of awning travel and the motor will continue to run, winding the fabric onto the roller tube "backwards"... When that happens, pressing the "extend/retract" switch backwards will usually fix the problem.

Dometic and Carefree awnings typically have a limit switch on the motor and at the end of the awning travel, that switch "shuts off the motor to prevent the fabric from rolling up backwards".... I haven't worked on a Dometic or Carefree awning newer than about 2013, so the newer ones may not have that limit switch... That said, not having worked on one newer than 2013 should be a "testament to quality/endurance" in those brands.... I replaced two awning motors in Solara awning last month, so......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If your awnings are Lippert Solara awnings, then yup, it's really that simple. The Solara awnings don't have a limit switch at the end of awning travel and the motor will continue to run, winding the fabric onto the roller tube "backwards"... When that happens, pressing the "extend/retract" switch backwards will usually fix the problem.

Dometic and Carefree awnings typically have a limit switch on the motor and at the end of the awning travel, that switch "shuts off the motor to prevent the fabric from rolling up backwards".... I haven't worked on a Dometic or Carefree awning newer than about 2013, so the newer ones may not have that limit switch... That said, not having worked on one newer than 2013 should be a "testament to quality/endurance" in those brands.... I replaced two awning motors in Solara awning last month, so......
I believe you are correct here, John. The newer Dometic/Carefree awnings will continue to turn like the Lipperts do. A neighbor we knew had been there and done that.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #8
ErickW

It is a Dometic 8952 awning, on a 2011 Keystone. Today I will try flipping the motor over, failing that, I may try rewinding the torsion spring, see if I can get it to help the roll up process.

Tags
awning