Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #61
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Paul, BauerAP, Sourdough hit it right in the head with those who say don't use warranty. It is not because they are afraid to use their warranty. Quite the opposite. They have used the warranty in the past and it took way too long to fix an easily fixable problem or the work that was done was not up to their standards. Either way, they found from past experience that it's faster and done better by doing it themselves. And they have shared this opinion with the forum.

Its easy to miss this if you don't read every post that is put on here.

Why would you be banned for your comment? It's not correct but it's your opinion and was polite. This isn't Russia. The moderators very rarely ban someone and that is only for blatant or premeditated violations of Forum rules.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #62
notanlines

Paul, why would you be banned? (I guess that question has already been asked) After all, you didn't come out of the closet as a Notre Dame fan or some such atrocity.
It is nice however, if a member would read ALL the comments, not just the first post and then jump four pages back and make a recommendation. Now I've gotten off-task, probably irritating to some.
Nonetheless, I believe you to be wrong, but that doesn't make it so.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #63
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Winnebago bought out the manufacturers of my previous TT (Sunnybrook) six or seven years ago, and now they manufacture nothing even resembling the quality or specs of that line, or I would have bought one. So in my experience, bad.
I owned a Sunnybrook... a lower end travel trailer (can't remember the model right off) and it was by far the highest quality trailer I have owned. Fit and finish and attention to detail while assembling. I considered buying a Winnebago model that was very much the same as far looking at it but when I read comments from folks who owned them, most agreed quality was not there.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #64
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAP View Post
I’ll probably be banned for this post but what’s wrong with this forum? Someone comes here for help and is immediately chastised and ridiculed. I dropped my keystone off last week for warranty repairs. If they don’t want us to use it then why have a warranty. I understand these units are made by humans and humans will be human. Things happen.
What would you do if McDonalds gave you a chicken sandwich instead of a Big Mac? Or you asked for no onions and guess what? There they are. You would send it back for it to be made right. Why is there an issue with someone doing the same with a $30-100k purchase? While my Sprinter is under warranty it will go to the dealer. When it expires will I pay someone $100/hr for something I can do? Absolutely not.
Why can’t this forum just answer an OPs question? It seems like there are two answers here. Get a 1 ton dually or get an EMS.
What is the best ladder for a bunk house? Answer: I need your weights to make sure you have enough truck to tow your 10k bunkhouse model.
Is this just my view or is there anyone else that seems to have the same opinion? I still check in from time to time but not a couple times a day like I did before.
I agree 100 percent with you Mr. Bauer... they are ALL DOO-DOO heads except you and me, right? By the way, I own a one ton (couldn't afford a dually) and use a Progressive EMS). The doo-doo heads talked me into it and I bought these things against my will!
Old 11-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #65
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
It is not because they are afraid to use their warranty. Quite the opposite. They have used the warranty in the past and it took way too long to fix an easily fixable problem or the work that was done was not up to their standards. Either way, they found from past experience that it's faster and done better by doing it themselves.

Here's a great example: went to take off my spare tire to relocate the valve to the bottom so I could fill it easier with the tire cover on. The bolt had been cross threaded at the factory, and would not come off (just sat there and spun in the holder). Couldn't get it off without marring or damaging the wheel. Having learned about the warranty delays at this point, I removed the tire carrier and brought only the carrier and spare into the dealer.

Not only did it take him a month to finish the job, but he damaged both the carrier and the wheel, so the only original part I got back was the tire. A month for a cross threaded bolt might be some kind of record.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #66
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Paul, BauerAP, Sourdough hit it right in the head with those who say don't use warranty. It is not because they are afraid to use their warranty. Quite the opposite. They have used the warranty in the past and it took way too long to fix an easily fixable problem or the work that was done was not up to their standards. Either way, they found from past experience that it's faster and done better by doing it themselves. And they have shared this opinion with the forum.

Its easy to miss this if you don't read every post that is put on here.

Why would you be banned for your comment? It's not correct but it's your opinion and was polite. This isn't Russia. The moderators very rarely ban someone and that is only for blatant or premeditated violations of Forum rules.
Seems I have had a much different experience with warranty work than most others on the forum. I don't know how much Keystone influences warranty work, seems to be more a factor of the dealer doing the work and the quality and experience in the service dept.

We are half timers snowbirding for the winter in the south and parking the 5er in the north for the summer. (sure makes winterizing easier) For both of the last two summers I have had my rig to the dealer for warranty work and I try to pick their busiest time so I can get some "free storage" from them as they take several months for repairs. Well, each time I get a call in about a week that the monty is ready to be picked up. Hmmm.
So now we're south and I have an axel issue and we're zipping north for the Holidays so I drop it at a local dealer that has a solid reputation and tell him "I know this is short notice, but take your time as I don't need it back till Jan"
He says wow I can't keep it that long, we will likely be done In a week or so. So they're going to deliver it back to my rv site when it's finished.
Maybe everyone should take their rig in and tell the service manager you don't want it back for two months and see what they say. It's like getting your kids to do something by telling them not to do that. Ya know, reverse psychology.
ps. yes, most little things I just do myself.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #67
travelin texans

Quote:
I’ll probably be banned for this post but what’s wrong with this forum? Someone comes here for help and is immediately chastised and ridiculed. I dropped my keystone off last week for warranty repairs. If they don’t want us to use it then why have a warranty. I understand these units are made by humans and humans will be human. Things happen.
What would you do if McDonalds gave you a chicken sandwich instead of a Big Mac? Or you asked for no onions and guess what? There they are. You would send it back for it to be made right. Why is there an issue with someone doing the same with a $30-100k purchase? While my Sprinter is under warranty it will go to the dealer. When it expires will I pay someone $100/hr for something I can do? Absolutely not.
Why can’t this forum just answer an OPs question? It seems like there are two answers here. Get a 1 ton dually or get an EMS.
What is the best ladder for a bunk house? Answer: I need your weights to make sure you have enough truck to tow your 10k bunkhouse model.
Is this just my view or is there anyone else that seems to have the same opinion? I still check in from time to time but not a couple times a day like I did before.
Don't think you'll get banned for ranting your opinion that's formed from miss reading or not reading all the info.
If you/anyone want to take your rv to your dealer for warranty repairs then by all means do so!!
If you/anyone wants to tow a 16k 5th wheel with a V6 F150 go right ahead, just let us know where you are going so we can avoid the accident.
Those of us with years of RV experience are only trying to inform others of the pitfalls of too small of tv & what can/usually happens with warranty repairs. You do both as you see fit!
I want the use of my rv whenever we're ready to head out & not driving by the dealership for months on end waiting for them to replace a piece of trim or change a light fixture that I could do in a matter of minutes & do a better job of it.
Johns analogy of the sandwich scenario it spot on with the actual way the majority of warranty repairs go, hurry up & wait.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #68
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
As with any written document, or transcript, you can't read "sections" or "selections" and have them taken out of context. I do think the industry needs a "correction" concerning warranty repairs/issues. How do we arrive at that "correction"? Well that's the million dollar question, at leas in my mind.

Would I accept an incorrect sandwich? Well that depends. How much is my time worth? How long can I go without the sandwich is remade? Last time I checked no RV dealer has a pit crew waiting for the arrival of someone with a warranty claim. The dealer also, unlike the fast food restaurant, does not have the authority to correct the issue. The RV dealer must get Keystone's approval first. So to use your example, if I got the wrong sandwich and had to wait for the manager to contact McDonald's corporate to issue a corrected sandwich, then wait for McDonald's corporate to send the ingredients to make a corrected sandwich then yes, I guess I'd accept the sandwich and eat it.

But this is what I DON'T understand. If McDonald's treated me that way I certianly would not return the next time I'm hungry.

Let me clarify. We don't eat at McDonald's but do like hamburgers. My comment reflected the scenario we generally have when requesting specific ingredients on a burger. At a McDonalds (or any other fast food place) if I was given a chicken sandwich vs a burger I would eat it because they both taste about the same to me. Add onions when I (or DW) didn't want them? The same. Again, not worth the effort or time (on a scale of 1-10 my patience comes in at about -1). Now, if I'm in a real restaurant paying $12 for a burger (as I'm about to do), yes, I will send it back because I want "that one" right.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #69
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I agree 100 percent with you Mr. Bauer... they are ALL DOO-DOO heads except you and me, right? By the way, I own a one ton (couldn't afford a dually) and use a Progressive EMS). The doo-doo heads talked me into it and I bought these things against my will!
wiredgeorge I thought they were all DOO-DOO heads except for you and me, and I'm not too sure about you.....
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #70
wiredgeorge

Quote:
wiredgeorge I thought they were all DOO-DOO heads except for you and me, and I'm not too sure about you.....
Ok... gotta wait to see if Mr. Bauer will let someone else in the non doo-doo head group. I gotta admit there are some forceful voices who definitely don't like any disagreement with their strong and vociferous views but heck, that is normal on any forum. BTW: Should I buy a dually? I haven't been over a truck scales and afraid my carrying the Progressive EMS might have me over weight. Plus I am kind of portly and that sags my trucks springs and shocks without having the 5ver hitched. What can I do?
Old 11-09-2019, 05:38 AM   #71
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Ok... gotta wait to see if Mr. Bauer will let someone else in the non doo-doo head group. I gotta admit there are some forceful voices who definitely don't like any disagreement with their strong and vociferous views but heck, that is normal on any forum. BTW: Should I buy a dually? I haven't been over a truck scales and afraid my carrying the Progressive EMS might have me over weight. Plus I am kind of portly and that sags my trucks springs and shocks without having the 5ver hitched. What can I do?
Yes it is "typical" in forums but from my experiences in different forums I believe this is one of the most helpful, civil forums out there. I love reading others views and engaging in conversations and helping in any way that I can. Sometimes people's views can be strong or end up as confrontational.

Some folks, when challenged on a statement that may lead the uninformed in a direction that could lead to a very negative experience, will turn to a personal attack. In my mind it's near impossible to argue with fact and logic. This can frustrate the person making the "emotional" based argument, especially when they are receiving a view that does not align with theirs.

It never ceases to amaze me how people will ask and sometimes beg for help and advice then want to argue with the advice given. It would be more honest if they just started with "this is what I did (or want to do), please give me an attaboy and don't give me any other views" and sign it Narcissus101.

As for your weight I have no "room" to comment s I'm no "light-weight" in that dept. (puns intended). I wouldn't postulate on your truck's capability or your requirements for a TV.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:43 AM   #72
chuckster57
Site Team

Well said. I have a dually, so I don’t worry about how much dessert I eat...and I have airbags to overcome any doubts about how much Diet Coke I can carry.

Yes there are those that ask in true desire for real knowledge and guidance, and there are those that like to “toss a piece of meat” into the shark tank just to sit back and watch the feeding frenzy.

I have yanked a fiver since 1989, and now have worked on these things (towable and drivable) for the last 8 years. I try my best to give accurate information, even if that means tossing another piece of meat in the tank. Sometimes it’s a steak and the OP wanted chicken... but you get what you get when you ask for “meat”

Ok I’m off to do some stuff around the house since I actually have 2 days off now thanks to my new employer, fishing will NOT be included.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #73
flybouy
Site Team

Chuck enjoy your "chores" and the warm weather out there on the left coast. It's low 20's here this a.m. Can't image what John and others "up north" awakened to.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:07 AM   #74
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Chuck enjoy your "chores" and the warm weather out there on the left coast. It's low 20's here this a.m. Can't image what John and others "up north" awakened to.
Only about 4" of snow on the ground now. We've had about 14" fall, but between the warm concrete and ground and the daytime highs, it's melting so limited shoveling, mainly the steps on the decks and porches...

It was 11 yesterday morning, 14 today, so a "warming trend" with no temps in the single digits "YET"..... Monday's forecast low is the first of those "one number temps".... No sign of those with a "-" in front.... yet.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #75
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Only about 4" of snow on the ground now. We've had about 14" fall, but between the warm concrete and ground and the daytime highs, it's melting so limited shoveling, mainly the steps on the decks and porches...

It was 11 yesterday morning, 14 today, so a "warming trend" with no temps in the single digits "YET"..... Monday's forecast low is the first of those "one number temps".... No sign of those with a "-" in front.... yet.....

Boy, I can empathize!! Our friends from MI that park beside us each year just got in Sat., a day later than intended saying when they left there was snow on the ground and they needed to get out. Yesterday, a front came through drizzling all day. Went to bed last night and woke up this morning and it was FRIDGID!! It was so cold I didn't want to get out from under the covers. Told our friends they should have left the cold stuff up north; those fridgid 40 degree temps just don't belong here in FL..... Returning to upper 60s today then in the 70s going forward so maybe we will thaw out.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #76
Zooms2

I bought a 2019 Montana High Country and it had a lot of minor issues, nuts missing off the toilet seat, bathroom door top rail not connected ice maker water supply line not connected, etc., but I fixed all those, the issue I can't fix is the auto leveling system. I have followed the instructions on the CD and had it back to the dealer twice. The last time they tried to charge me for "resetting" the system. I ask them to demo the system when I bought it but they said they would need to hook up and then unhook the trailer and it was late on a Saturday so I took it home. The system failed, I took it back and they said it was fixed. I got it home and failed again. Took it back and they kept the unit for over two weeks and told me they have found and fixed the unit. Took it home and it failed again. It's an $80,000 trailer, is anyone else having an issue with the auto level. The minor issues I blame on the dealer, this is the third trailer I have bought from them and everyone had minor issues, Dutchman, Jayco, and now Keystone but this is the first one that apparently they can't fix.
Zooms2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #77
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooms2 View Post
I bought a 2019 Montana High Country and it had a lot of minor issues, nuts missing off the toilet seat, bathroom door top rail not connected ice maker water supply line not connected, etc., but I fixed all those, the issue I can't fix is the auto leveling system. I have followed the instructions on the CD and had it back to the dealer twice. The last time they tried to charge me for "resetting" the system. I ask them to demo the system when I bought it but they said they would need to hook up and then unhook the trailer and it was late on a Saturday so I took it home. The system failed, I took it back and they said it was fixed. I got it home and failed again. Took it back and they kept the unit for over two weeks and told me they have found and fixed the unit. Took it home and it failed again. It's an $80,000 trailer, is anyone else having an issue with the auto level. The minor issues I blame on the dealer, this is the third trailer I have bought from them and everyone had minor issues, Dutchman, Jayco, and now Keystone but this is the first one that apparently they can't fix.
Which auto level system is it? Ground Control 3.0 or Level Up?

GC is electric and Level Up is hydraulic. Both systems are very reliable but they both have a different set of Troubleshooting steps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:03 AM   #78
DocP

Quote:
I’ll probably be banned for this post but what’s wrong with this forum? Someone comes here for help and is immediately chastised and ridiculed. I dropped my keystone off last week for warranty repairs. If they don’t want us to use it then why have a warranty. I understand these units are made by humans and humans will be human. Things happen...
I get what you're saying, but this forum is infinitely better than others, and the vast majority of those who post provide valuable information and opinions. With regard to warranty, for me it comes down to the severity of the problem and a decision as to how long the dealer is going to sit on my camper while they get the necessary authorizations for a warranty repair and how long my camper is going to be out of service. Although I am only about 45 minutes from the dealers I typically buy from, it's still going to come down to a cost-benefit analysis of me doing the repairs (and learning more about how my camper works) versus letting the dealer deal with it. I guess that I've been fortunate over the past 40+ years of owning campers - on many occasions I have been able to get the manufacturer to mail parts to me under warranty and I do the repairs myself.

Again, I understand your underlying point, but this forum, in my opinion, is the best that I belong to, and will continue to come here long past the point where I stop buying Keystones.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:44 AM   #79
Roscommon48

These RVs are what they are. Buyer just needs to know what they are getting.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #80
travelin texans

Just curious??
Once the warranty has expired how will you handle the issues, there will be some, that show up then??
Do you have an extended warranty? Or then you'll do the repairs?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote